Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Woo hoo! Built my first wheel!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 08:17 PM
achoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I rebuilt an old Maillard/Rigida front wheel off my old Peugeot. Took me a bit over an hour. That wasn't hard at all.

Old 02-20-10, 05:13 AM
grinningfool
Senior Moment

Bikes: 2014 Surly LHT, 2003 Giant NRS 3, 1991 Trek 700, 2006 Cannondale Six 13 Team, 1985 Miyata 210

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Did you have a wheel truing stand or did you use the bike to true it ? What instruction book did you use ?
Old 02-20-10, 09:17 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Oh dear! Now you've got the jones too. There's no cure so just go with it.
Old 02-20-10, 10:05 AM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
good for you! rebuilding an old wheel is one of the best ways to learn.

although here I have some questions for you:
1. did you completely disassemble everything and then put it back together again humpty-dumpty style, or did you simply de-tension all the spokes and then bring the wheel back up into true and proper spoke tension?
2. if the took everything apart and then put it back together, did you make sure the spokes went into the spoke-holes in the same orientation (you'll see that the spoke leaves an imprint into the aluminum hub shell, unless of course your hub is steel) and did you use the spokes which had come off the inside flange, again the same way? If you're not careful on this count, you'll put new grooves in the hub flange (weakening it more than necessary) and you'll have to bend the spokes a different direction when they'd already "adjusted" to the position they were in from the first build. Neither of these is a deal-breaker though, especially for the front wheel.
Old 02-20-10, 11:29 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Oh dear! Now you've got the jones too. There's no cure so just go with it.
Yep, now you're going to ride only on wheels built by yourself.
Old 02-20-10, 12:54 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Welcome to our club! LOL!

Now go for the rear wheel. A bit trickier than the front.

Congratulations, by the by.
Old 02-20-10, 01:07 PM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Congratulations. Nothing feels as good as that first wheel.
Old 02-21-10, 08:12 AM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by grinningfool
Did you have a wheel truing stand or did you use the bike to true it ? What instruction book did you use ?
I read Sheldon Brown's page on wheelbuilding, then built away. I don't have a truing stand, so I got the wheel pretty close to true with just by eyeballing it, and finished it off on the bike. It wasn't hard.

Originally Posted by TallRider
good for you! rebuilding an old wheel is one of the best ways to learn.

although here I have some questions for you:
1. did you completely disassemble everything and then put it back together again humpty-dumpty style, or did you simply de-tension all the spokes and then bring the wheel back up into true and proper spoke tension?
2. if the took everything apart and then put it back together, did you make sure the spokes went into the spoke-holes in the same orientation (you'll see that the spoke leaves an imprint into the aluminum hub shell, unless of course your hub is steel) and did you use the spokes which had come off the inside flange, again the same way? If you're not careful on this count, you'll put new grooves in the hub flange (weakening it more than necessary) and you'll have to bend the spokes a different direction when they'd already "adjusted" to the position they were in from the first build. Neither of these is a deal-breaker though, especially for the front wheel.
I replaced all the old spokes and nipples with new ones. The old spokes were plated (galvanized or chromed) and the plating was worn off and the base steel was all rusted and the spokes were starting to fail. I used my 3-foot-long bolt cutters to just cut the old spokes.

I haven't been able to ride it yet, though, because of problems with the rear wheel on the bike - my only "older" 126mm dropout one.

So the rear wheel is definitely next. Just not sure when I'll be ablt to get to it. The rear hub is fine, and the spokes and nipples are in pretty good shape. But the rim is a Wolber G2 (IIRC, I'm not going out to the garage just to check...) which is in great shape for being 10+ years old with lots of miles on it but seems to have extra high/deep sides that make getting a tire on or off without pinching the tube almost impossible. I trashed two tubes yesterday trying.

I don't recall which exact Shimano hub is on the rear wheel, but it sure would be nice to find a rim that I could at least use some of the 64 remaining 298mm spokes I have, since I got a box of 100 of those from eBikestop. And that'll leave me enough for another front wheel for one of my other bikes. Anyone know a rim/hub combination for a front wheel that uses 298mm spokes?
Old 02-21-10, 08:32 AM
thorsteno
wannabe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the successful attempt. I just ordered spokes for my first wheelbuild last week. FYI, I learned DT sells by 100/box and Wheelsmith by 50/box. I went with Wheelsmith.
Old 02-21-10, 09:44 AM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
maybe I missed it somewhere, but I still don't know if you put the new spokes on your front wheel into the same orientation on the hub as the previous spokes?
If your rear hub is a standard Shimano, the dimensions are pretty typical between most Shimano hubs if I remember correctly.
Get a look at one of the spoke-length calculation databases, find the Effective Rim Diameter of your old rim, and find a new rim with the same E.R.D. if you want to know your options for keeping the same spokes.