Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Under $500 on-line MTB for a 6'3" 275 lb Clydesdale

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-10, 08:40 PM
ArmedMainer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been lurking around here trying to learn more and have decided I need to take the plunge sooner than later and buy a MTB. I've already got a hybrid but I'm afraid because I've gained so much weight the spokes on the rear wheel won't handle me anymore.
I've got a few questions about buying a MTB online through a place like Bikes Direct. I'm mainly concerned with durability of the wheels and spokes and really don't care about how fast or heavy the bike is. I just want to pedal my way to a healthier and fitter me.
Is it possible to buy a bike online that is comfortable to ride and fits me within reason? Because of my weight do I really need 36 spokes on the rear wheel VS 32 spokes ?
Here's four I'm currently looking at.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...cane/400ds.htm
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._ghost6300.htm
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._ghost6700.htm
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._ghost6900.htm
In your opinion would any of these choices be rugged enough for my large body? I realize you sometimes get what you pay for but money is really tight now and I'd really like to start bettering myself ASAP. Thanks for your time !!
Old 03-09-10, 09:44 PM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a newbie, so not much help - but a couple of thoughts?

26 inch wheels are stronger than 700 wheels if everything else is equal. My LBS convinced me to try a Giant Suede DX (bout $400 bucks) with 26 inch wheels, and swears I won't tear up the wheels at *my* weight. Only time will tell, but with 20yrs at the same location, Sam isn't going anywhere, so will be there if I do encounter wheel issues.

Just a thought...
Old 03-09-10, 10:58 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I'd suggest going used or a clearance model. At 275 for a mountain bike you don't need a 36 spoke wheel if the stock wheel is well-made.

BTW, my bike shop, a Trek dealer, suggested their one up from the bottom of the line MTB for a Clyde of your height.... and an additional 125 pounds.

The Bikes Direct bikes are OK, but they don't come with a bike shop. When you buy through a bike shop, you buy the shop, in a sense, as well. If you are difficult to fit, have special requirements, etc, then I suggest steering clear of online bicycles.

Old 03-09-10, 11:21 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
None of the bikes you linked to are good choices. You want a hardtail like this one.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ne_600HT07.htm
Old 03-10-10, 06:21 AM
ArmedMainer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
None of the bikes you linked to are good choices. You want a hardtail like this one.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ne_600HT07.htm
Just so I can learn something here why is the bike you chose better than the ones I chose ? Are hardtails better for heavier riders ? Just curious.
Thanks for all the replies everybody.
Old 03-10-10, 06:34 AM
tardman91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm the same height/weight as you and I just got a Raleigh Sport road bike. I used to ride a Schwinn hybrid when I was a little heavier. I've never had problems with the wheels on either bike. As long as the bike is well made, I wouldn't worry about your weight as far as the wheels are concerned.
Old 03-10-10, 06:37 AM
tardman91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ArmedMainer
Just so I can learn something here why is the bike you chose better than the ones I chose ? Are hardtails better for heavier riders ? Just curious.
Thanks for all the replies everybody.
I would guess the hardtail would be better for heavier riders because it doesn't have rear suspension, which for most people our size, would probably be bottomed out most of the time.
Old 03-10-10, 07:17 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Squishy (dual suspension) bikes are not ideal for anyone in the sub $500 price bracket. If you are looking for a decent dual suspension bike you will need to raise your budget into the $1500 price range. Here's why: as a larger rider pedals the force of his pedal stroke is partially absorbed by the suspension in the bike. Ever notice the front suspension bobbing when someone stands and pedals? On a dual suspension bike you have extra moving parts, and an additional shock which will bob. The suspension on any of those bikes will likely be next to useless under the weight of the rider. Not to turn you off to them in general, just saying. This is why hard tails are recommended so much. Get one with a fork that has the ability to lock out. Disc brakes vs. Rim brakes should not be your selling point. Discs are cool, but really mechanical discs don’t have much stopping power over a good set of V’s*

You know, for $500 dollars you might be able to score a left over 4300 disc, Wahoo Disc, or Rock Hopper. Any of those bikes would be great and much better than buying from bikes direct.

*when the braking surface of the rim is clean
Old 03-10-10, 04:37 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
If you do buy online, you will either need to know a bit about bike mechanics and have some tools or you'll need to pay your LBS to assemble and adjust the bike.
Old 03-10-10, 06:37 PM
ArmedMainer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bautieri
[FONT=Verdana] This is why hard tails are recommended so much. Get one with a fork that has the ability to lock out.
You know, for $500 dollars you might be able to score a left over 4300 disc, Wahoo Disc, or Rock Hopper. Any of those bikes would be great and much better than buying from bikes direct.

Lock out fork ? Is that the ability to keep the suspension from working?
I'll check out the local dealers and see if I can find any of your suggestions that are last years leftovers. Thanks for the ideas.

Originally Posted by CACycling
If you do buy online, you will either need to know a bit about bike mechanics and have some tools or you'll need to pay your LBS to assemble and adjust the bike.
I've read in reviews the generic manuals bikesdirect sends with the bikes leave a LOT to be desired. I'm pretty sure I've got enough tools and know how to get everything together correctly. I'm pretty much only concerned with buying the correct bike that fits me properly.
Old 03-10-10, 07:44 PM
CACycling

Lock out fork ? Is that the ability to keep the suspension from working?
I'll check out the local dealers and see if I can find any of your suggestions that are last years leftovers. Thanks for the ideas.

I've read in reviews the generic manuals bikesdirect sends with the bikes leave a LOT to be desired. I'm pretty sure I've got enough tools and know how to get everything together correctly. I'm pretty much only concerned with buying the correct bike that fits me properly.
You are correct on the lock out. It eliminates the suspension.

As for assembling and adjusting, it isn't too bad but wanted to make sure you factored that in. Many would not feel comfortable doing their own wrenching. I'm in the process of building a bike out of a box (NOS '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX) and it just takes a little patience to go through everything and make sure it is right.
Old 03-10-10, 08:03 PM
ArmedMainer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are correct on the lock out. It eliminates the suspension.

As for assembling and adjusting, it isn't too bad but wanted to make sure you factored that in. Many would not feel comfortable doing their own wrenching. I'm in the process of building a bike out of a box (NOS '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX) and it just takes a little patience to go through everything and make sure it is right.
With the economy being the way it is right now I'll do whatever it takes to save a few bucks. Because of my height and weight I'm pretty sure finding a left over that will fit me will be quite a chore. Maybe I'll get lucky.
Old 03-10-10, 09:27 PM
CACycling

With the economy being the way it is right now I'll do whatever it takes to save a few bucks. Because of my height and weight I'm pretty sure finding a left over that will fit me will be quite a chore. Maybe I'll get lucky.
You never know unless you try. If you are comfortable doing some wrenching, used can be the way to go. When I returned to cycling 2 1/2 years ago, it was on a $40 Craig's List MTB. It needed work but was basically sound. A few hours of work (hadn't wrenched on a bike since I was a kid over 30 years ago but managed) and $40 in tires and grips and I was on the road. Logged 1,000 trouble-free miles on that MTB before moving on to road bikes (first was rescued from a dumpster but that's another story).

The main thing to remember is that your first bike, if you really get hooked, will serve the primary purpose of moving you on to your next bike. Cycling can be a very positive addiction and you might be surprised where you find yourself a year down the road. I know I was.
Old 03-11-10, 07:07 AM
ArmedMainer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You never know unless you try. If you are comfortable doing some wrenching, used can be the way to go. When I returned to cycling 2 1/2 years ago, it was on a $40 Craig's List MTB. It needed work but was basically sound. A few hours of work (hadn't wrenched on a bike since I was a kid over 30 years ago but managed) and $40 in tires and grips and I was on the road. Logged 1,000 trouble-free miles on that MTB before moving on to road bikes (first was rescued from a dumpster but that's another story).

The main thing to remember is that your first bike, if you really get hooked, will serve the primary purpose of moving you on to your next bike. Cycling can be a very positive addiction and you might be surprised where you find yourself a year down the road. I know I was.
I'm not against getting a second hand bike and I'm pretty confident I could fix pretty much anything except spokes on it. Were you heavy when you bought that CL bike for $40 ? The whole reason I want a MTB and not a road bike is because I want the strength the MTB wheels and spokes have over a road bike. I just want something I can wheel out of the garage 4-5 times a week and take off for a hour or so.
I'll check CL later on today and see if I can find something in good shape with a large enough frame to fit me. Thanks for the suggestion !!
Old 03-11-10, 07:16 AM
tardman91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not against getting a second hand bike and I'm pretty confident I could fix pretty much anything except spokes on it. Were you heavy when you bought that CL bike for $40 ? The whole reason I want a MTB and not a road bike is because I want the strength the MTB wheels and spokes have over a road bike. I just want something I can wheel out of the garage 4-5 times a week and take off for a hour or so.
I'll check CL later on today and see if I can find something in good shape with a large enough frame to fit me. Thanks for the suggestion !!
I'm the same exact height and weight as you and I just bought a Raleigh Sport road bike and I love it. You're not too big to not be able to get a road bike if that's what you're really interested in. My brother, who is a couple inches shorter and a few pounds heavier than us just got a Fuji Newest 4.0 and he has absolutely no problems with that as well. Your weight is perfectly fine on a road bike as long as you're not looking into a CF bike with CF wheels and like, 12 spokes.
Old 03-11-10, 08:33 AM
hammond9705

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 105 Posts
Why not just buy a new rear wheel for the hybrid you have? As others have noted, dual suspension isn't great for big clydes. If the hybrid is otherwise fine, then get a new handbuilt rear wheel. Should cost $200 or so.
Old 03-11-10, 10:36 AM
CACycling

I was a bit over 255 lbs. and the bike held up well. It was a 22" frame which was actually a bit large for me but rode very nice. As others mentioned, you aren't so big that a road bike is out of the question either.
Old 03-11-10, 01:19 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Spend $60 on a Park tensiometer and $8 on a spoke wrench, then check that the spoke tension on the drive side of the real wheel is even all around at about 105 kg, and on the non-drive side is enough to keep the wheel midway between the brakes. Read more about it on the Sheldon Brown website. If you have 35 mm wide tires, you may be able to fit 38 mm ones. Check for clearance between your current tires and the frame.
Old 03-11-10, 03:16 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
With the down economy, there are some leftover 09's to be had. Try to find a steel hardtail. At $ 500 your probably not going to find a disk version. I'm 235 and would strongly recommend a 36 hole rim. Try kona, they have worked for me.
Old 03-11-10, 03:47 PM
ArmedMainer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tardman91
I'm the same exact height and weight as you and I just bought a Raleigh Sport road bike and I love it. You're not too big to not be able to get a road bike if that's what you're really interested in. My brother, who is a couple inches shorter and a few pounds heavier than us just got a Fuji Newest 4.0 and he has absolutely no problems with that as well. Your weight is perfectly fine on a road bike as long as you're not looking into a CF bike with CF wheels and like, 12 spokes.
CF is way out of my price range right now. I'm going to get my hybrid road worthy again and ride that until I can find something that fits me second hand or on Craigslist . I really don't care if it's a road bike or a MTB as long as I don't have to be working on it all the time.

Originally Posted by AndrewP
Spend $60 on a Park tensiometer and $8 on a spoke wrench, then check that the spoke tension on the drive side of the real wheel is even all around at about 105 kg, and on the non-drive side is enough to keep the wheel midway between the brakes. Read more about it on the Sheldon Brown website. If you have 35 mm wide tires, you may be able to fit 38 mm ones. Check for clearance between your current tires and the frame.
Great advice that I will look into without question.

Originally Posted by Leebo
With the down economy, there are some leftover 09's to be had. Try to find a steel hardtail. At $ 500 your probably not going to find a disk version. I'm 235 and would strongly recommend a 36 hole rim. Try kona, they have worked for me.
Here's one that was posted earlier on in this thread; https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ne_600HT07.htm Think it's strong enough ?
Old 03-11-10, 03:58 PM
XCSKIBUM
Cantankerous Old Fart

Location: On the Tundra of Northern NY State, almost Canada eh?

Bikes: TBD

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's the bike I am considering, I'm not as tall as you, but a bit heavier. The bike has an adjustable shock for dampening & rebound. It comes in a 21" frame for your hieght. I'll get a 19" frame for my 5'10" hieght.

https://www.bikes4families.com/cadill...bike-p-94.html

Last edited by XCSKIBUM; 03-11-10 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-11-10, 07:19 PM
ArmedMainer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XCSKIBUM
Here's the bike I am considering, I'm not as tall as you, but a bit heavier. The bike has an adjustable shock for dampening & rebound. It comes in a 21" frame for your hieght. I'll get a 19" frame for my 5'10" hieght.

After reading post in this thread don't you think the rear shock on that bike will be compressed once you sit on it even though it's adjustable ? Looks like a decent bike.
Old 03-11-10, 07:30 PM
CACycling

Originally Posted by XCSKIBUM

The good part is you'll get lots of excersize if you ride it. Between the weight of that bike and the power-robbing suspension, you burn more calories per mile on that than on most other bikes out there.
Old 03-11-10, 08:01 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by hammond9705
Why not just buy a new rear wheel for the hybrid you have? As others have noted, dual suspension isn't great for big clydes. If the hybrid is otherwise fine, then get a new handbuilt rear wheel. Should cost $200 or so.
I think you should buy the dual sus. you are looking at (sometimes you just need to get what you want cause you want it!). In a few weeks when the suspension is whacked, then go buy a new rear wheel and the fattest tire that will fit on your hybrid and ride it till you can't or until you save up enough for the bike you want. The 1st year I got back into biking I rode a 19" beach cruiser with ashtabula cranks, wobbly wheels and coaster brakes. 6'1" 238 at the time. Once I decided I liked riding and was going to stick with it I upgraded to a new bike. Seriously, if I wanted a cheap dual sus and didn't want to buy used I'd go to Walmart. Quality will probably be the same, and you can ride it till the wheels fall off and not feel guilty when they do.

Last edited by stevel610; 03-11-10 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-11-10, 08:24 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
https://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=humu

Or try this. I have one and love it. ($425) I eventually put a nexus 8 premium hub on the read. Love it. 2.35" tires are like having suspension.

https://www.balloonbikes.com/en/startseite/

For us larger guys, Balloonbikes has good info.

Last edited by stevel610; 03-11-10 at 08:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.