Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Mr Tuffy tire liners?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Mr Tuffy tire liners?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-10, 11:23 AM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mr Tuffy tire liners?

I was using Vittoria Randonneurs for 2 years, but when it was time to replace my back tire, I decided to switch to 28c tires. I opted for the Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech, which are supposed to be pretty durable However, since switching tires, i've had 4 flats, all from road debris. That's all within around a month and a half, compared to the one flat in two years on the Randos.

After changing my flat last night, i decided to go back to my Randonneur on the back (the one that was on the front before) but now I can feel a huge difference in the tire feel compared the Rubino. (bad) Simply put, I like the Rubino ride quality and road feel better.

So, with all that said.. i'm wondering if anyone uses Mr Tuffy tire liners? I've read good and bad about them. Good being that they work, bad being that they increase rolling resistance somehow and could possibly cause flats.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-09-10, 11:41 AM
Lot's Knife

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. They do slow you down.

2. Installed correctly, they seem to work.

3. 8,500 miles flat-free in the Desert Southwest. YMMV.
Old 06-09-10, 11:44 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Lot's Knife
1. They do slow you down.
Not significantly. And what kind of cramp does a flat tire put on your overall speed?

I agree with everything else.

Last fall I did a mountain bike ride. 4 people, 4 bikes, 8 tires. We had 32 flats. One bike had 27 punctures, 1 bike had 4 (it had 1 tubeless tire that got a flat), 1 bike had 1. That leaves one bike that had zero...mine. The one that had 1? I forgot to put the Tuffy back in my wife's tire Yeah. They work.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-09-10 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-09-10, 11:47 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
I ride them in all my clinchers. I've seen them chafe tubes, but primarily in low-pressure applications. After cutting them to fit, sand both sides of the cut edge (I usually just rub it on the sidewalk a bit to round off the edge).

They do make $50 tires ride like $25 tires but punctures are REALLY rare.
Old 06-09-10, 12:01 PM
corkscrew

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In my experience they do reduce the amount of flats per mile. What I also have found is they are no where as useful as good armored tires.
Old 06-09-10, 12:07 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
I've only tried Armadillos which are $50 tires that ride like $15 tires. I killed mine in a freak encounter with beer bottle chunk that sliced the sidewall, so I've had opposite experience in that realm. Like I say it was a freak accident, however.
Old 06-09-10, 12:28 PM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The "feel" of the tires will change once you put the Mr. Tuffy's in. I agree with the comment that they work well when installed correctly, the other side of the argument is, if they are installed incorrectly, they can cause more flats than they prevent by chafing or pinching the tube.

A better solution is to find a tire with adequate puncture protection built into the tire. There is always a trade-off however. Tires that have exceptional puncture protection will generally be heavier and provide a less dynamic ride, or they can be very expensive. Most mainstream tire manufacturers make an array of options.
Old 06-09-10, 01:54 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Kojak
The "feel" of the tires will change once you put the Mr. Tuffy's in. I agree with the comment that they work well when installed correctly, the other side of the argument is, if they are installed incorrectly, they can cause more flats than they prevent by chafing or pinching the tube.
It's not nearly as noticeable as people make out. I doubt that anyone could really tell the difference in a blind test. Compared to tires with protection built in, the difference would be even less noticeable.

Tire liners have the added advantage of cost. A Mr. Tuffy liner can last for decades...out lasting many sets of tires. Tires with integrated liners are a single use item. Once the tire is worn out, the liner is discarded with the tire.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-09-10, 02:00 PM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"It's not nearly as noticeable as people make out."

This would depend on the tire. On the tires that the OP mentions, maybe you're correct. The lighter and more supple the tire (think racing or sport tires), the more noticable the difference. I'm not dissing Mr. Tuffys, just saying that you don't get something for nothing. If you add weight and a peice of rubber/plastic to a bicycle tire, it's going to feel different. This is true whether it's an add on (like Mr. Tuffy) or molded into the tire (like our Marathon Plus tires).
Old 06-09-10, 02:15 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Kojak
"It's not nearly as noticeable as people make out."

This would depend on the tire. On the tires that the OP mentions, maybe you're correct. The lighter and more supple the tire (think racing or sport tires), the more noticable the difference. I'm not dissing Mr. Tuffys, just saying that you don't get something for nothing. If you add weight and a peice of rubber/plastic to a bicycle tire, it's going to feel different. This is true whether it's an add on (like Mr. Tuffy) or molded into the tire (like our Marathon Plus tires).
Please note that I said 'noticeable'. There might be a measureable difference but I'd suspect that it is vanishingly small. But perception is a very funny thing. You'd need a double blind test where the rider didn't know what he had in the tires. I've ridden both ways recently (700Cx23 road tires) and I certainly can't tell the difference in ride quality nor do I see a noticeable difference in speed.