Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-19, 03:54 AM
gseraf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Welcome to the forums. Being an Italian market model complicates the identification for most members, who are Canada or USA based. However, the serial number indicates 1991. This fits nicely with Shimano 105SC which was introduced for the 1990 and model year and updated to 8 speed for the 1993 model year. I wouldn't expect a VO post on an Italian market model and strongly suspect it is non-OEM.
Thank you very much!

I was planning to have it resprayed as there are chips and some surface rust here and there but stickers seems to be impossible to obtain (those one at least, as I do not know the model ).

Which seatposts were usually fitted on those years?

So now the goal is finding a 1991 italian catalog
Old 07-11-19, 04:17 AM
gseraf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW ... I have a rainbow sticker on the seatpost tube (below the Columbus Cromor sticker) which seems like the World Champion Rainbow flag.
Old 07-14-19, 08:35 PM
skotm19

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bianchi Strada?

Hi all, I was wondering if you could help me out any. Today I purchased a very rough Bianchi Strada from the local thrift store and I'm trying to get any information on it that I can. What I have identified so far:

Head tube serial number: 2D7411
Both derailleurs and downtube shift levers: Campagnolo (with the rear having Valentino stamped on it)
I think the bike was originally red. I do know that it had chrome forks at one time before the previous owner decided to paint them.
The Bianchi decals on the seat tube are stacked as opposed to having a vertical baseline like every picture I can find.
The very aged tires are 27x1 1/4. Not sure if they are the correct size for this bike, but I haven't found any other size on the rims yet.

I'm looking to hopefully restore this bike a little bit for my personal enjoyment. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-19, 11:01 AM
SomeDuskyOne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Older Bianchi with unique markings

I need help identifying my bike, but the "administrator won't let me post pics for a while." My Bianchi does not say Bianchi on the seat tube, it has increasing size hash marks on it in the middle. All Shimano 600 equipment, 2 x 6 gears, maroon and gold paint, made in Japan, shifters on downtube, brake levers say Dia Comp, It does have the Piaggo sticker on the seat tube as well as one that says CrMo. S/N is MA01117
Old 07-25-19, 12:08 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by skotm19
Hi all, I was wondering if you could help me out any. Today I purchased a very rough Bianchi Strada from the local thrift store and I'm trying to get any information on it that I can. What I have identified so far:

Head tube serial number: 2D7411
Both derailleurs and downtube shift levers: Campagnolo (with the rear having Valentino stamped on it)
I think the bike was originally red. I do know that it had chrome forks at one time before the previous owner decided to paint them.
The Bianchi decals on the seat tube are stacked as opposed to having a vertical baseline like every picture I can find.
The very aged tires are 27x1 1/4. Not sure if they are the correct size for this bike, but I haven't found any other size on the rims yet.

I'm looking to hopefully restore this bike a little bit for my personal enjoyment. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Based on the description, it sounds like you have a 1972 Bianchi Rekord 71.
Old 07-25-19, 12:42 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by SomeDuskyOne
I need help identifying my bike, but the "administrator won't let me post pics for a while." My Bianchi does not say Bianchi on the seat tube, it has increasing size hash marks on it in the middle. All Shimano 600 equipment, 2 x 6 gears, maroon and gold paint, made in Japan, shifters on downtube, brake levers say Dia Comp, It does have the Piaggo sticker on the seat tube as well as one that says CrMo. S/N is MA01117
The Piaggio decals indicates early 1980s, but that's not the typical serial number format for the Japanese Bianchi from this this era. However, we have seen a couple other models with this S/N format, the hash mark logo and Shimano 600EX. They were Bianchi Super, circa 1982.
Old 07-25-19, 05:54 PM
SomeDuskyOne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Piaggio decals indicates early 1980s, but that's not the typical serial number format for the Japanese Bianchi from this this era. However, we have seen a couple other models with this S/N format, the hash mark logo and Shimano 600EX. They were Bianchi Super, circa 1982.
Thank you! And so fast. I forgot to mention the "super" sticker on the top tube. I thought a second half had gone missing on both sides since I can't find just a super anywhere. They are all super legerra or corsa, etc.
Old 07-26-19, 07:13 PM
amillhench
TXHC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Serial number on seat tube above bottom bracket: JS931922 and then a 4 stamped on bottom of BB shell. Early 90s Bianchi Virata.

Can you tell me the bottom bracket drop for this model? I’m planning a 650B conversion and pondering crankset length. Thank you.
Old 07-28-19, 09:09 AM
skotm19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Based on the description, it sounds like you have a 1972 Bianchi Rekord 71.
Thanks for the info! Googling the 1972 Bianchi Rekord 71, I can see that it has the stacked Bianchi on the seat tube, however, there is the remnants of a 'Strada' decal, could it still be a Rekord with that decal?

Thanks again!!
Old 07-28-19, 09:49 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by amillhench
Serial number on seat tube above bottom bracket: JS931922 and then a 4 stamped on bottom of BB shell. Early 90s Bianchi Virata.

Can you tell me the bottom bracket drop for this model? I’m planning a 650B conversion and pondering crankset length. Thank you.
The '93 catalog shows 65, since tolerance is listed as 1.5mm I am guessing that is a mm measurement, the height is listed as 277.5 and there are constant on all frames over 493 and over.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-28-19, 12:41 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by skotm19
Thanks for the info! Googling the 1972 Bianchi Rekord 71, I can see that it has the stacked Bianchi on the seat tube, however, there is the remnants of a 'Strada' decal, could it still be a Rekord with that decal?

Thanks again!!
The Bianchi Strada model of this era typically came with Simplex Prestige derailleurs while the Rekord 71 typically came with Campagnolo Valentino, which is why I was leaning towards a Rekord 71. Still, it's possible that somebody switched the derailleurs to make it more Italian, even though Simplex had an Italian factory at the time. Also, 1972 was the year that saw the big tenfold increase 10 speed sales, so it could be a factory substitution if demand was outstripping Simplex supply. Regardless, there is one frame trait to distinguish a Strada from a Rekord 71. The former uses brazed-on, top tube, cable stops for the rear brake cable, while the latter uses spring or screw mounted cable clamps.

Last edited by T-Mar; 07-28-19 at 01:12 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 07-28-19, 01:32 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
My recent purchase, said to be an '81 Supercorsa or Superleggera. No numbers on the seat lug and only the following (separated by dots) on the bottom of the BB shell is 4 - 81 - 467.

April of 1981?

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 07-28-19 at 01:43 PM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 07-28-19, 01:52 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
My recent purchase, said to be an '81 Supercorsa or Superleggera. No numbers on the seat lug and only the following (separated by dots) on the bottom of the BB shell is 4 - 81 - 467.

April of 1981?
That would be my interpretation of the serial number. The seat lug serial number location was used for the production models. The Reparto Corse models didn't necessarily follow the same convention, showing a number of varying formats. The presence of Portacatena dropouts, in conjunction with the logo style and Piaggio decal is certainly consistent with 1981 and wouldn't span more than a year in either direction. If the date codes on the rear derailleur, crankarms and hub locknuts are 1980-1981, that would further increase my confidence level in the model year being 1981.
Old 07-28-19, 02:03 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

That would be my interpretation of the serial number. The seat lug serial number location was used for the production models. The Reparto Corse models didn't necessarily follow the same convention, showing a number of varying formats. The presence of Portacatena dropouts, in conjunction with the logo style and Piaggio decal is certainly consistent with 1981 and wouldn't span more than a year in either direction. If the date codes on the rear derailleur, crankarms and hub locknuts are 1980-1981, that would further increase my confidence level in the model year being 1981.
Thank you. The hubs are Phils and the RD/crankset both have '82 date codes. Did Bianchi offer a frame/fork only option to the public? I was surprised by the lack of numbers on the seatlug because I came across pics of both Supercorsa and Superleggera models here on BF and most had seatlug stampings in addition to the gold decal and shell stampings.

I personally like that there are no stampings on my seatlug - looks much cleaner that way.

DD
Old 07-28-19, 02:11 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude

April of 1981?

DD
I am quite Celeste with envy Beautiful bike enjoy!!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-28-19, 02:16 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I am quite Celeste with envy Beautiful bike enjoy!!
Ha ha - thank you! I finally got to join the club

DD
Old 08-07-19, 09:20 AM
BobMcduff

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow - I can't believe that I found another one like mine from, the same era. I bought mine 35 years ago here in Montreal and rode it up until 1 month ago when I replaced it with ( you guessed it ) an Infinito full carbon. My son has my old Piaggio now and loves it.

The color, by the way, is called Champagne ( beige metallic) to bad I can't show you photos as this is my first posting.... Mine looks showroom shape.
Likes For BobMcduff:
Old 08-11-19, 11:44 PM
Desi72

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I actually contacted Bianchi via fb messenger about serial number identification because of a Bianchi bike I am trying to identify and they responded..

" Serial Number does not signify anything, it's for the Bicycle Dealer to register in case of theft. "

I'd post an image of my message but I don't have enough posts to upload images yet, once I do I'll share the conversation.
Old 08-18-19, 04:07 PM
calxes9

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi folks, I'm kinda new to this and hope I'm posting correctly. I'm asking about my Bianchi 61cm pearl white frame (w/o fork) sold to me new-in-box as a “1994 Reparto Corse” by the Frans Fietsen shop, Tilburg Netherlands in 2007:

Serial number is A442. Columbus EL tubing, chrome stays, unbranded near-vertical dropouts, internal rear brake cable, internal rear derailleur cable, half-chrome front derailleur hanger, cast engraved Bianchi BB shell with reinforcing tangs and raised “B”s on both sides, “B” engraved in head tube/down tube lug, “Bianchi” engraved in brake bridge, no pump peg on head tube, race number tab brazed underneath top tube near front. No Reparto Corse decal, no World Championship decal (they were included in the box).

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to post photos yet. Does the SN signify anything? Maybe 1994 and Reparto Corse are correct? I haven't seen the pearl white often, is it unusual? Thanks!
Old 08-18-19, 06:51 PM
skunkman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campion D'italia

I bought a used Bianchi. Can anyone give me some information, About this bike from the serial number? 713 on non-drive side under bottom bracket. 31219 on drive-side
Old 08-19-19, 05:37 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by calxes9
Hi folks, I'm kinda new to this and hope I'm posting correctly. I'm asking about my Bianchi 61cm pearl white frame (w/o fork) sold to me new-in-box as a “1994 Reparto Corse” by the Frans Fietsen shop, Tilburg Netherlands in 2007:

Serial number is A442. Columbus EL tubing, chrome stays, unbranded near-vertical dropouts, internal rear brake cable, internal rear derailleur cable, half-chrome front derailleur hanger, cast engraved Bianchi BB shell with reinforcing tangs and raised “B”s on both sides, “B” engraved in head tube/down tube lug, “Bianchi” engraved in brake bridge, no pump peg on head tube, race number tab brazed underneath top tube near front. No Reparto Corse decal, no World Championship decal (they were included in the box).

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to post photos yet. Does the SN signify anything? Maybe 1994 and Reparto Corse are correct? I haven't seen the pearl white often, is it unusual? Thanks!
I don't see why it wouldn't the real thing. What is on the dropouts? I also believe Bianchi embossed the BB shell on these. I am not sure I've ever seen one but I have seen lots of later '80s high end European model Bianchi bikes in white. If you care to post me a few pics I'll try and post them. BianchiGirLL@yahoo.com

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-19-19, 02:36 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by calxes9

This is nice.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-20-19, 12:50 PM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
This is nice.

Old 08-20-19, 04:19 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by skunkman
I bought a used Bianchi. Can anyone give me some information, About this bike from the serial number? 713 on non-drive side under bottom bracket. 31219 on drive-side
Hello and welcome to the forums. We need a little more information than this. Is it a Italian built Bianchi? What color is it? What kind of parts are on it? If you send me a few pics I'll be happy to get them posted. BianchiGirLL@yahoo.com

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-20-19, 05:54 PM
Malcolmotto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bianchi identification

Hi there Bianchi experts, just trying to identify my old bianchi SX sports. It's light green in colour, the serial number is JB 870362, it has a Marco Polo white and gold trim on the seat, the diameter of the wheels is 700mm. Can anyone help with year of manufacture and l am looking to sell it as been in my loft unused for a couple of years. Where would be the best place to sell it, and find a price guide.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond..
Mal Otto
Ps if you need any more info please let me know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.