Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

raising funding...

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

raising funding...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-11, 04:15 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by AaronAnderson
For reference; I really didn't plan on begging for money on the internet to complete strangers. That's silly. I have reasons other than "it'll be fun" - they just aren't public...
Well, you can always ask family for the money, especially if they are well off ... and who knows, you might be successful. But if they are struggling a bit and wishing they could take time off work to go travel too, you're probably not going to have much luck. And some families might suggest a matching situation, especially if you're quite young. In other words, you go to work and earn money over the next 8 months, and they'll match whatever you earn. But that's between you and your family.

When it comes to getting places to sleep and other help like that ... join your local cycletouring club and ride with them. Through them, you can make connections with people further afield. Then you can post your itinerary on your website and send it around to family and cycling friends, and maybe someone will say, "When you're in ____ look me up".

Meanwhile, check out Couchsurfing and Warmshowers.
Old 08-02-11, 06:28 PM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
If you cant pay for it yourself, don't ask me to subsidise your vacation and don't go . I didn't ask riders for money for my Bon Ton Roulet trip
Old 08-02-11, 07:47 PM
AaronAnderson

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bktourer1
If you cant pay for it yourself, don't ask me to subsidise your vacation and don't go . I didn't ask riders for money for my Bon Ton Roulet trip
You didn't read the thread. No one is asking you for money.
Old 08-02-11, 08:33 PM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could just go with what you have. Be prepared to ask for free food.

That's not actually as insane as it sounds. Not that I've done it, but it could be interesting. Hang around and talk to people. Be honest. Someone may buy you a burger.
Old 08-02-11, 08:52 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
You didn't read the thread. No one is asking you for money.
Maybe yes maybe no but for sure you want to ask others

Has anyone ever put together a donation/sponsorship page to ask for help either a simple web page, or from a third party paypal or fundraising specific site? I’d like to be able to approach friends, family, etc with my vision, and ask for help. Help could be a small monetary donation, equipment, a place to stay along the way…
Work hard, save your money and then go on your tour. It will be more rewarding and you will be able to look at yourself in the mirror. Touring can actually be done pretty cheaply.

I'd be ashamed to ask anyone for money so I can go and have fun. Of course if you tell your parents of your plan and they want to give you a few bucks as a gift, there is nothing wrong in taking it. Just don't ask.