Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Pedal Forward Opinions

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Pedal Forward Opinions

Old 07-28-18, 08:53 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Because the seat tube does not meet the BB at a common angle ,
no more than 1 chainring is possible.
...and have a front derailleur to shift gears.

several options : a combination IGH - Cassette rear hub.. 3 by 8..

there are a few internally geared 2, and one 3 speed crank.. still 1 chainring ,

but the gearbox is between the chainring and crank arm ,
so crank can turn at a different rate, than the chainring..

OP is in Florida , a state not known for its hills to climb,
but some hellacious headwinds with named storms..

i've put front derailleurs on pedal forward bikes. just weld a post on the bottom bracket at the right angle to hold the derailleur. the last few projects i used a trike hub in the chain line, with a shimano front freewheel cluster, so the the hub still "coasts" for shifting. i guess that would be harder if you can't weld, but i do my welding with a little harbor freight flux welder. great for a hobbiest playing with bikes/frames for themselves.
Old 07-28-18, 09:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Typical customers won't be welding anything on, will they?
Old 07-30-18, 09:08 AM
Philphine

i don't know. i had welding done a couple times before i learned myself, and it's not hard enough to keep a person from trying themselves. i don't think it's a matter of if they can, but if it occurs to them to do it.
Old 08-26-18, 03:12 PM
Retired in Il

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a stainless steel "layback" seat post made for my cruiser finding it to be as comfortable as an easy chair when Installed with pullback Neva bars.
Old 08-31-18, 06:54 AM
deathcrow76

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a pretty bad knee. Will the pedal forward be less stress on your knee? I could deal with all the other cons mentioned as long as my knee won't hurt as bad. Thoughts?
Old 08-31-18, 06:06 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I suspect pedal forward might be harder on your knee but have been wrong before. Roger
Old 09-01-18, 04:26 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
Pedal forward is tougher on the knees,...
Old 09-01-18, 04:35 AM
Townie7D

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello,

pedal forward is is definitely easier on the knees. I injured my leg several years ago and was not able to get full range of motion on my knee or ankle. This made it difficult to get on or off a bike. The Townie was the only bike I could get on and pedal. I am now one month into riding almost every day. The doctors said my leg would not get any better. They were wrong. I can now bend my knee 3/4 of the way. I have found this bike to be easy to pedal and have not had any knee pain. It has taken me some time to adjust physically to riding a bike but I listened to my body and took things slow to start with. I worked up to a 15 mile ride this week and had no pain at all. I live near a bike path in a residential area and there is a good mix of different types of bicyclist. So far I am having a lot of fun and the bonus is I am getting my knees back in shape.
Likes For Townie7D:
Old 09-01-18, 04:07 PM
deathcrow76

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just got back from my LBS and I ended up ordering the Townie 7D. I can say without a doubt that the pedal forward design (at least on the Townie) is 10 times easier on my knee. The only trade-off is you are a bit dead weight on the saddle as mentioned above. And it being a cruiser, don't expect to take it much off-roading. The reason I got it is for pavement only. To me it was not hard to stand up although it does take some getting used to. For anyone with a bad knee like mine, you owe it to yourself to forget all reviews (including this one) and at least go down and try a bike with the pedal-forward design for yourself. It may be the complete opposite for you, but for me it's a game-changer. I can't wait to ride again!
Likes For deathcrow76:
Old 09-02-18, 09:01 PM
Retired in Il

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by deathcrow76
I have a pretty bad knee. Will the pedal forward be less stress on your knee? I could deal with all the other cons mentioned as long as my knee won't hurt as bad. Thoughts?
I have double knee replacement implants finding no problems, or pain, due to the pedal forward configuration.
Likes For Retired in Il:
Old 09-04-18, 11:50 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My Electra Cruiser (pedal forward) is rougher on my knees than my CAAD12 (normal road bike). Part of it is probably that my knees are flexed more on the cruiser since the seat won't go high enough to extend my legs like I can on the road bike.
Old 09-16-18, 12:07 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts

With three inch wide rear tire filled to 20 psi and a gel seat how can you be uncomfortable. I hit up fixies all the time to race me 40yrds. When the race starts I leave them in the dust with 32x23 gears if you want to go faster more psi and different gears.
Likes For AtNjineer:
Old 01-21-19, 10:48 PM
BicycleSafari
Safari Master

Bikes: 84 Ross Mt.Whitney - 84 Specialized Stump Jumper - 84 Nishiki Kodiak - 86 Specialized Rockhopper - 86 Cannondal SM-600 with 24" wheels - + more project frames than I'd care to admit to

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 16 Posts
I think the touch down, pedal forward geometry is great. In my experience, you want to do your own tweaking with seat angle and handle bar angle, but that's true with any bike. I will say that dramatic pedal forward geometry is something I only truly care for when I am biking in a flat, or mostly flat place. When the topography starts to get more varied, I personally prefer more traditional geometry.
Old 02-11-19, 12:28 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
I bought a Dyno stretch cruiser in the 1990's. You could not stand on this bicycle to pedal so everything had to be done seated. I found that the low seat position was great for just short distance cruising but with all your body weight on the seat it can hurt after a while. My bike came as a one speed but I put in a Nexus 7 speed IGH which made it much better. As a one speed you could just barely start it on a crosswalk. If the crosswalk had a little up to it you might as well walk it across. I eventually settled on true recumbent bicycles for ultimate seat comfort and have not been disappointed. The bicycle looked cool but was not very real world practical.
Old 03-08-19, 06:30 PM
groverdill

Bikes: Giant Iguana, Cannondale hybrid, Trek Beach Cruiser, Vintage Sears Cruiser(restored by me!)

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I rented a 3G beach cruiser last year, and it was the most comfortable bike I’ve ever ridden. But I wasn’t quite sure why. The rental guy, who owns the shop, told me it’s because of the foot forward positioning. I was riding on the boardwalk so no hills, but I could have ridden that thing all day!

Mike
Likes For groverdill:
Old 03-25-19, 11:49 AM
Cruiser2112

Bikes: 1985 Bianchi Celeste, Custom Electra C1, Flying Machine Cycles custom E-Cruiser

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
I'm looking at an SE Bikes cruiser (they use Touch Down Geometry - not as far back) or a Phat cruiser and they both come with pedal forward positioning. Many years ago I rode a standard beach cruiser, and again most recently, but have no experience with the setback seat positioning. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of this? How it rides/feels?
For a comfy, around town casual cruiser, the pedal forward orientation does make for a slightly more comfortable (IMHO) experience. As mentioned you will be using more quadriceps & calf muscles as well as more upper body/pulling work. I've even extended the pedal forward geometry of my Electra tall frame cruiser by adding a lay back seat post to move the seating position back an additional 2.5". The finished product weighs almost 70lbs. but can cruise flats @ 13-15mph. all day!
Likes For Cruiser2112:
Old 03-26-19, 08:48 AM
Philphine

couldn't find a better pic, or of store brought one, but any stretch cruiser i've made into a more regular rider ends up with a seat with a back rest. makes all the difference on a stretch cruiser. especially the more semi or fully recumbent the bike is made.

Last edited by Philphine; 03-26-19 at 08:52 AM.
Likes For Philphine:
Old 03-31-19, 10:35 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Cruiser2112 that is a very nice cruiser. Monark style front fork and an IGH. I love the color too. Those handlebars could double as Texas steer horns on the front of a 60"s Cadillac. Nice fat color coordinated tires and rims. Cool Bike. We have a club locally, Sacramento CA,, that rides just these types of bicycles.
Old 05-31-19, 07:26 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Love my Townie 21D and Sixthreezero EvryJourney 7 spd. Both are pedal forward designs. a minature version of a recumbent bike. Not sure what people are talking about bad for the knees hard on hills comments. You can stand and peddle on every bike. You're just more forward. I didn't like the stock handlebars on my Townie, so I got cafe bars on one and bullhorn bars on the other one. Love the fact that I can stand up while stopped. Some people place the seat too short. I usually average about 13 MPH. I'm not speed racer, but I get to listen to music and stuff.

Likes For alloo:
Old 01-14-22, 05:36 PM
michelsal

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe it depends on what is wrong with knees?

Originally Posted by tds101
Pedal forward is tougher on the knees,...
but for me, having the feet forward of the hips lets me get full extension and also reach the ground when I stop. that saves me.
Old 01-14-22, 05:37 PM
michelsal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lack of extension is definitely a problem! but that is not intrinsic to the pedal forward feature
Old 01-14-22, 05:41 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by michelsal
but for me, having the feet forward of the hips lets me get full extension and also reach the ground when I stop. that saves me.
Why did you feel the need to quote me, on a comment I made over 3 years ago? Build your post count quoting someone else.
Old 01-14-22, 05:54 PM
michelsal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow! I just joined, didn't even know it was an old thread. don't know what a post count is. why would you take this with such negativity?
Old 01-21-22, 08:24 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by michelsal
wow! I just joined, didn't even know it was an old thread. don't know what a post count is. why would you take this with such negativity?
Because I have knee issues (including having surgery), and the pedal forward position causes me severe knee pain and swelling. Look at the date of a post before quoting someone in a necrothread,...
Old 01-28-22, 10:43 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
Because I have knee issues (including having surgery), and the pedal forward position causes me severe knee pain and swelling. Look at the date of a post before quoting someone in a necrothread,...
Dude...Lighten up and remember where we are. or at least explain how being "qUoTed" hurt you in any way...
Likes For JehD:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.