Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Well here goes.... a couple of new Canyon Roadlites

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Well here goes.... a couple of new Canyon Roadlites

Old 01-08-19, 12:30 AM
Randy Barat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
Well I want to go tubeless and my wife's xs frame came with 650B wheel set. I haven't found any 30 mm tubeless road tires for 650B series wheels. I don't have room for 40s in the front fork. Any ideas? For my bike rolling on typical 700 series wheels not a problem.
Yeah I'm thinking of a tubeless setup as well once my existing 38mm tires goes. Just considering if going 32mm would be more optimal especially my ride is only on roads.
Old 01-24-19, 08:14 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Haven't updated in a while... so here goes. Both bikes crossed the 1k mile mark during yesterday's ride. So far all has been great needing nothing other than airing the tires, cleaning and lubing the chain. I have purchased some Schalbe Pro Ones (700x25 and 27.5x25) so I can go tubeless once the original tires wear out. So far the originals are hanging in there though. The rear one on my bike still has not flatted off the center yet. So hopeful to get another 750 - 1000 miles out of them. One of the problems with my wife's bike is that Canyon uses a 650b wheel set on their xs frames. That really restricts tire choice especially if you are going tubeless and the widest you can go is 32 mm. A big question is "is the cost of the RoadLites worth it?" To both of us the answer is a big yes. They seem to be far superior in every way to our Giant FastRoad CoMax 1"s, which are fantastic to begin with. Of course the only real problem is that both sets of bikes have to deal with their respective old engines
Old 01-24-19, 08:35 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
They seem to be far superior in every way to our Giant FastRoad CoMax 1"s, which are fantastic to begin with.
How so? What does the Roadlite do better than the Giant FastRoad?
Old 01-24-19, 12:28 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
One of the problems with my wife's bike is that Canyon uses a 650b wheel set on their xs frames.
I noticed something related to that. Your wife's bike uses the smaller wheel size, yet it seems like they kept the chainstay length the same. Her bike has much more space between the tire and the seat tube than your bike does. I might have expected them to shorten the chainstays to go with the smaller wheels, to keep a similar feel to the other sizes in the range. I wonder why they kept the longer stays...if they had a specific handling/geometry reason for that size frame, or if it's simply because they could then use a similar rear triangle carbon mold as the other frame sizes.
Old 01-27-19, 09:52 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Originally Posted by prj71
How so? What does the Roadlite do better than the Giant FastRoad?
Please understand that the Giant FastRoad CoMax 1 is already on the high end for fitness/hybrid market at around $2000. It’s the top of the line for Giant and has similar specs to the other major manufactors high end models. The differences between the Giant and the Canyon with be a more subtle than say the comparison to a low end model and maybe more or less personal preference.

That said here goes.

1. The first thing you notice is the design and fit and finish. The RoadLite is a very clean and refreshing to my eyes The lack of Giant labels on every part is a blessing (at last count I think I found Giant on 32 places on my CoMax) The color scheme of gloss vs flat blacks is very pleasing to me. Little fine touches such as boots from where the cables enter the frame which the Giant doesn’t have. The cockpit is really stunning as it is one piece stem and handlebar. This wouldn’t work for everyone of course but the reach is just right for me. None of the aforementioned items have anything to do with the ride however just general aesthetics which certainly add to the appeal of the RoadLite.

2.The use of a lot of carbon fibre allows the RoadLite to be at least 4 lbs lighter than the Giant. This in itself is not a biggie to me. But the fact the the RoadLite can start from say a stop light and get to speed much quicker and with less effort than the Giant is cause for delight. Realizing that at 69 and a bad heart my engine is going to get any better anything that can enhance my ride speed and make for longer/faster rides is a plus in my book. The whole package from the carbon wheels, split seat post and fibre combo stem/handlebar give a more comfortable ride as well. Some of this may be the 30mm OEM tires (at 80psi) and I might have to update this statement when I switch to the 25mm tubeless Pro Ones.

3. I really like the 1 X drivetrain. Never had a bike with Sram parts before always Shimano. But the Sram system is really top shelf stuff. Less to go wrong, less to maintain. There is never any chain rub or chance of cross chaining. While only 12 speeds they are gears that I use not just carry around for looks. So far I haven’t found that I needed any other gears in my travels. Of course I live in Florida. But our trails are not completely flat.

I’m sure that someone with more cycling experience and better writing skills would be able to do a better job at describing the nuances better than I. But, for me I see our RoadLites as a giant step up from our FastRoads.
Old 01-27-19, 09:57 AM
DowneasTTer

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I noticed something related to that. Your wife's bike uses the smaller wheel size, yet it seems like they kept the chainstay length the same. Her bike has much more space between the tire and the seat tube than your bike does. I might have expected them to shorten the chainstays to go with the smaller wheels, to keep a similar feel to the other sizes in the range. I wonder why they kept the longer stays...if they had a specific handling/geometry reason for that size frame, or if it's simply because they could then use a similar rear triangle carbon mold as the other frame sizes.
Yes I can see that is possible problem down the road if the 650B rim sized doesn't make the inroad into the road market as it has the MTB market. I suspect Canyon uses a similar carbon mold as I have rad that Giant is the frame maker for Canyon. It appears that if you look at other Canyon cycles the same occurs in there respective XS frame sizes...... chain stays similar lengths to their 700c brethren.
Old 01-28-19, 09:01 AM
prj71

2.The use of a lot of carbon fibre allows the RoadLite to be at least 4 lbs lighter than the Giant.
So your Canyon Roadlite is a 15 lb bike?

My 2015 Giant FastRoad Comax is 19lbs without pedals. Size Large.
Old 01-28-19, 09:31 AM
DowneasTTer

So your Canyon Roadlite is a 15 lb bike?

My 2015 Giant FastRoad Comax is 19lbs without pedals. Size Large.
The Canyon is 16lbs and my CoMax 1 was 20 to 21 lbs before the upgrades. My 2015 was delivered with a no series Shimano crank not 105's later put on the bikes. Don't forget that mine has a rack and seat bag with tools. I haven't weight the CoMax since I replaced the wheel set and drivetrain however. Still I love both sets of bikes and hope the Roadlites will serve us as well as the CoMaxs have. Enjoy your CoMax it is indeed a great flat bar road bike. You might want to read my upgrade thread here:https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...comax-1-s.html
Old 01-28-19, 09:36 AM
prj71

The Canyon is 16lbs and my CoMax 1 was 20 to 21 lbs before the upgrades. My 2015 was delivered with a no series Shimano crank not 105's later put on the bikes. Don't forget that mine has a rack and seat bag with tools. I haven't weight the CoMax since I replaced the wheel set and drivetrain however. Still I love both sets of bikes and hope the Roadlites will serve us as well as the CoMaxs have. Enjoy your CoMax it is indeed a great flat bar road bike. You might want to read my upgrade thread here:https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...comax-1-s.html
Actually I was wrong. My Giant is 18 lbs. I forgot I upgraded the wheelset last year and droped a pound.

I don't have a rack but I do have a seat bag with tools.
Old 01-28-19, 09:44 AM
DowneasTTer

Actually I was wrong. My Giant is 18 lbs. I forgot I upgraded the wheelset last year and droped a pound.

I don't have a rack but I do have a seat bag with tools.

That's great. Just to be curious what wheel set did you go with? Have you gone tubeless as well? That saved quite a bit of weight over the Conti 4000 all weather tires I was using. The wheel set and the tubeless together made a big difference in the CoMax's. But when you figure the original cost of the CoMaxs and the cost of a good wheel set you are entering the cost of the RoadLite.
Old 01-28-19, 10:54 AM
prj71

I bought a Velocity Aileron wheelset laced to a bitex hub with Sapim Xray spokes. I'm running the Conti Grand Prix 4000 tires. I have not gone tubeless on it yet.

Velocity Wheels - Hand Made in USA

I bought my CoMax in 2016 but it was a leftover 2015...Only paid $1000 for it and I have $500 wrapped up in the new wheelset, and $60 in a carbon flatbar. Everything else is stock on it.

Last edited by prj71; 01-28-19 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-17-19, 03:56 PM
DowneasTTer

Well the weather has Floridized today was 85 and sunny. Just a beautiful day all around. So my wife and I took our Roadlites out for their first 40 mile ride to Fort Cooper for lunch and back. It was the first time we used the RhinoWalk bag to carry our picnic lunch.... worked great.
Old 02-17-19, 04:59 PM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Well the weather has Floridized today was 85 and sunny. Just a beautiful day all around. So my wife and I took our Roadlites out for their first 40 mile ride to Fort Cooper for lunch and back. It was the first time we used the RhinoWalk bag to carry our picnic lunch.... worked great.
i just caught up with this thread and read your in Florida. Are these trails you’re riding all paved or a mixed bag? My wife and I went out on the Lake Apoka loop which is neither a loop nor was it paved like we read. Luckily we had our gravel bikes with us and only had to let out a little air to make the ride much more comfortable. We’re always looking for longer paved trails to take our road bikes out on but so far we’ve only found ones up to 30 miles for a total ride and we’re looking for something in the 40-50 mile range next.

With that out of the way, I commend the commentary on your “new” bikes and it looks you two are having a blast riding which is what this is all about. 🙂
Old 02-18-19, 05:00 AM
DowneasTTer

Originally Posted by luevelvet

i just caught up with this thread and read your in Florida. Are these trails you’re riding all paved or a mixed bag? My wife and I went out on the Lake Apoka loop which is neither a loop nor was it paved like we read. Luckily we had our gravel bikes with us and only had to let out a little air to make the ride much more comfortable. We’re always looking for longer paved trails to take our road bikes out on but so far we’ve only found ones up to 30 miles for a total ride and we’re looking for something in the 40-50 mile range next.

With that out of the way, I commend the commentary on your “new” bikes and it looks you two are having a blast riding which is what this is all about. 🙂

Well we live near the Withlacoochee State Trail. A paved rail trail running for 46 miles each way from Citrus Springs to Trilby. It's a great ride. But, there are several paved trails within an hour's drive from our home that would be over 30 miles round trip. Check out the Florida state park web site. Good luck.
Old 02-19-19, 10:44 AM
Midway

Bikes: Colnago Master PIU 90's era, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD Disc 2018

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
No the handlebar and stem are one piece. However, Canyon has a great fitting tool you take all kinds of measurements and it tells you the size bike to get. In our case the suggestion was dead on. I called them on it as well since I have had only large frames and my wife small in the last 3 sets of bikes we purchased. However, using Canyons fitting guide I was a medium and my wife an XS. Taking measurements off our Giant Fastroad CoMaxs the Canyons are spot on.
I am looking for a fitness bike for my wife. What size is your wife? I was looking at the Specialized Women's Sirrus Expert Carbon in a small but they are out of stock. Of course the ROADLITE WMN CF 7.0 is out of stock as well. I would prefer the 8 but still no option in the US.

In comparing sizes it appears at a quick glance the Canyon XS is larger than the Specialized small. My wife is 5' 4" and relatively petite and while I like the specs of the Canyon, worry even an XS would be too large. I'll need to take accurate measurements of my wife of course.

Thanks.
Old 02-20-19, 02:52 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 587 Posts
Well we live near the Withlacoochee State Trail. A paved rail trail running for 46 miles each way from Citrus Springs to Trilby. It's a great ride. But, there are several paved trails within an hour's drive from our home that would be over 30 miles round trip. Check out the Florida state park web site. Good luck.
Just a quick note to say if I were in the States, I'd be all over this Canyon, now being stocked in the U.S.: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/fitness...athlite-sl-7-0

Fantastic bike for someone -- like me -- who has a real weakness for high-end Euro-style 'cross' (not 'cyclocross') bikes. This one is a perfect example of the type; really nicely designed and well though-out.
Old 02-20-19, 03:38 PM
DowneasTTer

Originally Posted by Midway
I am looking for a fitness bike for my wife. What size is your wife? I was looking at the Specialized Women's Sirrus Expert Carbon in a small but they are out of stock. Of course the ROADLITE WMN CF 7.0 is out of stock as well. I would prefer the 8 but still no option in the US.

In comparing sizes it appears at a quick glance the Canyon XS is larger than the Specialized small. My wife is 5' 4" and relatively petite and while I like the specs of the Canyon, worry even an XS would be too large. I'll need to take accurate measurements of my wife of course.

Thanks.
Mrs DowneasTTer is 5'5" with an inseam of 32" and fits the XS perfectly. I would take the measurements and call Canyon support. They will let you know if it is possible. Don't forget that the XS has the 650b (27") wheel set. Good luck. We really love our new RoadLites.
Old 02-20-19, 03:46 PM
DowneasTTer

Originally Posted by badger1
Just a quick note to say if I were in the States, I'd be all over this Canyon, now being stocked in the U.S.: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/fitness...athlite-sl-7-0

Fantastic bike for someone -- like me -- who has a real weakness for high-end Euro-style 'cross' (not 'cyclocross') bikes. This one is a perfect example of the type; really nicely designed and well though-out.
Have you called Canyon USA to inquire about purchase and delivery to Canada? I was reading somewhere that it can be arranged but not via the web site. Other options are to have it shipped stateside and drive over to pick up.
Old 02-20-19, 05:19 PM
badger1

Have you called Canyon USA to inquire about purchase and delivery to Canada? I was reading somewhere that it can be arranged but not via the web site. Other options are to have it shipped stateside and drive over to pick up.
Cheers, DowneasTTer ... I haven't. Just discovered this bike today on the Canyon U.S. website.

The issues for us Canadians are several. First, the exchange. Not really an issue for me, but the price goes from U.S. 1399 (+90 or so shipping) to around $2000 Cdn. That's ok. But then there is an antiquated but still-applied 13.2% duty levied on complete bikes, and on top of that a 13% GST (our Goods & Services tax) will also be collected. That's leaving out of account 'brokerage fees' and so on that may -- or may not -- be collected.

In the result, the price becomes prohibitive unless one is willing to try to game the system -- and some do -- which I am not.
Old 02-20-19, 05:28 PM
DowneasTTer

Originally Posted by badger1
Cheers, DowneasTTer ... I haven't. Just discovered this bike today on the Canyon U.S. website.

The issues for us Canadians are several. First, the exchange. Not really an issue for me, but the price goes from U.S. 1399 (+90 or so shipping) to around $2000 Cdn. That's ok. But then there is an antiquated but still-applied 13.2% duty levied on complete bikes, and on top of that a 13% GST (our Goods & Services tax) will also be collected. That's leaving out of account 'brokerage fees' and so on that may -- or may not -- be collected.

In the result, the price becomes prohibitive unless one is willing to try to game the system -- and some do -- which I am not.

Understood. My wife and I spend the summer months in PEI and for the past few years have enjoyed the exchange rate but the taxes are something else.
Old 02-20-19, 06:12 PM
badger1

Understood. My wife and I spend the summer months in PEI and for the past few years have enjoyed the exchange rate but the taxes are something else.
PEI is beautiful! Where do you stay?

Ms. Badger and I have a summer home in N.B. on the Bay of Fundy -- not far away! We are there for the most part end of May through early October. If you are curious, shoot me a p.m.

We used to be able to spend a week/10 days in Naples Fla. every February, but again ... exchange rates and hotel rates have put paid to that for the last several years. I/we love the place, and hope to go back at some point.
Old 02-20-19, 11:10 PM
Midway

Bikes: Colnago Master PIU 90's era, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD Disc 2018

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
Mrs DowneasTTer is 5'5" with an inseam of 32" and fits the XS perfectly. I would take the measurements and call Canyon support. They will let you know if it is possible. Don't forget that the XS has the 650b (27") wheel set. Good luck. We really love our new RoadLites.
Thank you. I'm not clear on the significance of the 650B wheel size other than it is smaller than the 700c offered with the Sirrus. The specs seem close to the Sirrus and the cost is $600 less so that is appealing. I'll need to take measurements but is seems the only option is small with Sirrus or extra small with Roadlite and the Roadlite XS seems to be a slightly larger bike than the Sirrus..

Thanks again.
Old 02-27-19, 02:24 PM
DowneasTTer

Well even with the good weather here in Fl during Feb we were only able to ad 500 miles to the Roadlites. So as of today they have 1500 miles on them. With the pollen in the air they appear more yellow than black at the end of each ride.... however that does compliment the nice redness of my eyes at the end. Looking forward to the end of pollen season here North Central FL. Then the beginning of the Love Bug season.. oh well. Back to the bikes, so far they have both have been great rides. Just needing the normal maintenance such as air the tires and clean/lube the chain. In fact even the tires are wearing quite well. I'm about 210 lbs and the only sign of the 1500 miles is the wear on my rear tire. The other three still look low mileage. I'll probably change them all out to tubeless Pro Ones before the end of March at around 2300 or so.
Old 03-13-19, 01:58 PM
DowneasTTer

I wondered about what kind of tool pack I could use with the RoadLites. Since I use the seat tube for attaching the Rhino pack, only when needed as to pack lunch for the ride or store jackets, I couldn't use my Topeak tool kit as the attachment bracket blocks the area under the seat where the Rhino straps would be. So for the past months I had put a few items in my wife's Topeak seat post pack and riding without a replacement tube. Thanks to Rides4Beer over in the Road Cycling forum I now have a neat small pack that looks great on the bike and has room for a spare tube, tire irons and CO2 inflator. I purchased from Amazon a Wolf Tooth Components B-RD 3 hole Mounting bracket, The B-RAD accessory mount and the Lezyne Micro Saddle Bag (small). I think it turned out quite well. The bracket slot needs to be enlarged for the strap on the bag but easy job with a file.

Old 04-13-19, 02:20 PM
DowneasTTer

Ok as of today we have 2500 miles on the bikes. Would have had a little more but took the FastRoads on our motorhome trip to Sanibel and Venice a couple of weeks ago. Anyway the bikes have been fantastic. The only problem was a slow leak in the tube in my rear tire. Been putting off replacing since I haven't dealt with carbon wheels before. But finally jumped in..... not a problem. Replaced the tube and all is well. Haven't been able to find the leak yet though. Weather here in North Central Fl has been great for morning riding and playing in the pool in the afternoon.
Likes For DowneasTTer:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.