Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

should I buy a fat bike or a rigid mt. bike?

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 04-26-19, 10:37 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts

I'm primarily a road cyclist, but I'm getting tired of sharing the road with cars and truck and would like to some off-road cycling. I would be riding primarily on establish trails with nothing technical. I'm not sure which kind of bike would best. What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Old 04-26-19, 12:11 PM
Howard70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I made the same shift about three years ago. Went with two bikes. A carbon Salsa Mukluk with an extra set of 27.5 x 3" plus wheels and a carbon Salsa Cuttthroat running 29 x 2.3". Ride both about equally. The only thing I don't use much here in New Mexico are the 4" fat wheels on the Mukluk. They're great for snow, but I don't find as much of that as I'd hoped. I do run them occasionally if I know I'm going to ride a long wash with really soft sand or long wet stretches.

Howard
Old 04-26-19, 12:15 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
I'm primarily a road cyclist, but I'm getting tired of sharing the road with cars and truck and would like to some off-road cycling. I would be riding primarily on establish trails with nothing technical. I'm not sure which kind of bike would best. What are your thoughts? Thanks.
You might like a "gravel" or "adventure" road bike with wide (~ 40mm) tires. I have one with two wheel-sets. Originally one was for on-road, and one for off, but now both are off-road capable (with Compass tires that minimize the on-road performance hit).

I also recently built up a steel rigid drop-bar mountain bike with 27.5+ (2.8") tires, and prefer that to my (older) full-suspension bike. (It also has the capability to use a suspension fork, so I can play around with options.)

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 04-26-19 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-28-19, 05:39 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Buy a 27.5 plus bike that fits both 29 and 27.5 wheels

keep two wheel sets

27.5 plus with 2.8 Ish tires
29 with skinny tires

pretty much covers you for any type of riding

Plus tires are like riding with some suspension. Buy a Hardtail with a front fork shock with a lockout.
Old 05-01-19, 07:10 PM
Carl J

Bikes: 2016 Trek Farley 9.6, 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Road), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired), 2016 Kona Wo (Retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
This is really hard to say. If it's just non technical established trails, you may want a gravel/adventure bike (I love my Felt V85) or a mtb.
Where do you live ? Do you get snow there at all? If you get snow and will only have two bikes, the road and one other, then I'd suggest getting a fattie (it's where they're the most fun, in my opinion).
But for basic trails, it may be overkill.
Old 05-02-19, 09:49 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Thanks for your views. I've pretty much decided against a fat bike because it looks like overkill. Now I'm thinking about a 27.5+ with 2.8 tires or just a plain old mtb with 2.2 tires. I'll think on this for a few weeks.
Old 05-07-19, 04:34 AM
Pro11yN0taZeus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Howard70
...They're great for snow, but I don't find as much of that as I'd hoped. I do run them occasionally if I know I'm going to ride a long wash with really soft sand or long wet stretches.

Howard
I think this is what is most intriguing to me - fat tires would be great (I would think) for snow covered roads in the winter. Although it sounds like you are describing dirt and sand. Maybe I should focus on hybrid tires.
Old 05-07-19, 09:06 AM
Howard70

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Pro11yN0taZeus
I think this is what is most intriguing to me - fat tires would be great (I would think) for snow covered roads in the winter. Although it sounds like you are describing dirt and sand. Maybe I should focus on hybrid tires.
The fat tires are the best option I've found for tracks or roads with deep, freshly fallen snow - the sort of stuff you wand to compress a bit as you ride, but not reach through to the actual road surface. I'm not an accomplished snow rider so there are probably others with better advice. The thing that made the most difference for me was studding the fat tires so that I could ride ice-covered sections of roads already travelled by cars as well as riding in fresh snow. If you're thinking of already-trodden snow covered roads, a set of studded plus tires, or even 2" studded tires, might be just as effective and potentially more lively.

My wife is a timid rider on loose surfaces and fat tires have been a game changer for her. She'll ride on easy trails and desert two tracks now because she feels secure. In her case perception of adhesion is key - most off-road cyclists realize that skinny tires are fine on most surfaces, but because she lacks confidence in skinny tires the fats are what it takes to help her enjoy off-pavement rides.

Howard
Old 05-07-19, 10:07 AM
jackb

I don't plan on riding on snow primarily because I don't like riding in the cold. Once the temps drop below 50 degrees, I leave the bikes in the garage and take walks. I'm thinking that I would like experiencing the "perception of adhesion." The older I get the more timid I get, so I'm still thinking fatter tires. But after looking at fat tire bikes and mid-fat tire bikes, I think mid-fat tires will be fine. As I am on the verge of a cycling trip in Europe, I won't be buying anything until June, so I still have plenty of time to think over the purchase.
Old 05-12-19, 02:02 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts

3.0 Speedsters for the STP and then some gravel grinding. They did fine on gravel.

Beach camping.

More typical daily riding.

This was a no-brainer for me as the beach is out the backdoor. I’ve 4000+ beach miles on my full hardtail fat. The soft beach sands demand the 4.6 BFLs. If I’m on logging roads (far tougher than gravel) the 4.0 knobbies work (tire swap). I’ve debated about a 2nd wheel set. I’m used to riding hardtail but maybe as I get up their in years I’ll reconsider.
Likes For Jseis:
Old 05-13-19, 10:16 AM
fishboy316

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
I love to ride my Farley 7. It works for me on all but road. I currently run 3.8 Hodags on 27.5 wheelset (Jackalope). My fatty is the go to bike for me. Ride singletrack mostly. She will roll. When there is snow I run 26 x 4.7 Barbi's. It is about the fun for me and I have found for me that the fatty is the most fun I have had on 2 wheels!
Old 05-19-19, 07:12 PM
FatBikerKP

Bikes: Fat Bike Fatoboy 1.0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cruzing on fat bike at around 16kmph avg is a fun. Fatties might looks like a overkill, but once u ride it on any terrain they will definitely kill your boredom. Fat Bike however isn't everyone's cup of tea, you need power and endurance to ride them.
I vote for FAT BIKE, rest is your call