Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Suntour Cyclone limit screws

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Suntour Cyclone limit screws

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-20, 05:45 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by nicam49
Did you know that these limit screws have a groove running the length of the thread which is filled with some glue-like substance, which I NOW realise is there and acts as a locking mechanism. Who knew! In the misguided process of cleaning the threads, I've gone and removed it, so now there's nothing to prevent the screws from being vibrated out. A search for replacement limit screws has brought me to this site, so..... Hello! If possible I'll post a pic of the offending article..
Loctite blue would probably be OK. Or, if you are worried about it getting stuck, maybe try beeswax.
Old 07-31-20, 01:37 PM
nicam49

Bikes: Raleigh tourer, Eddie Merckx road bike, Raleigh Maxx ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the ideas! I have blue Locktite and candles... also a hot glue gun.. ... but not beeswax, so I'll do some experimenting. Also some silicon adhesive which may also be a possibility.
Old 08-02-20, 08:12 PM
agnewton

Bikes: Peugeot UO-10, '78; Fuji Sp.RR, '73, mixte '75

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Y'know what this needs? More Locktite.

Originally Posted by nicam49
Thanks for the ideas! I have blue Locktite and candles... also a hot glue gun.. ... but not beeswax, so I'll do some experimenting. Also some silicon adhesive which may also be a possibility.
FWIW: I added to this aged-thread for pretty much the same reason you mentioned- I cleaned out the plastic strip in the keyed portion of the limit screw and it wouldn't hold. Worried that locktite blue would be too much, I used just a drop on the thread--> didn't hold, screw vibrated loose; I tried quite a bit of beeswax--> didn't hold, screw vibrated loose; I added a bead of Locktite Blue to the length of the screw and it held. It holds tight enough that you can still adjust it and the effort to turn the screw is not heroic. I suspect if I removed the screw completely, I'd find some excess locktite accumulated in the keyed groove of the limit screw.
Old 08-03-20, 12:22 PM
nicam49

Bikes: Raleigh tourer, Eddie Merckx road bike, Raleigh Maxx ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm feeling a bit more relaxed now that I'm not the only one! Tell you what, it won't happen again! I've just applied the hot glue liberally to the slot and surrounding threads... it's not pretty! but it seems to have given the screw some extra grip. I think I'll just give it a dab of blue loctite too. Belt and braces!.... Cheers!
Old 08-03-20, 01:14 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by jgedwa
If you are proficient with a tap, I think that is a good and simple solution.
If had a Suntour or other RD (or FD?) that used those combination screws that accept straight-slot or Phillips drivers, I'd probably be interested in retapping just because those are the ugliest fasteners known to man (yeah, but you can use either type of screwdriver); even cut nails would be more elegant. Little Allen wrench bolts would look SO cool.