Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does anyone actually use NON-clipless pedals on carbon bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does anyone actually use NON-clipless pedals on carbon bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-23, 09:45 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
If anyone queries “why are you not riding clipless?”
simply reply
”I didn’t feel the need, you guys are just a Recovery ride for me!”

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 02-28-23, 06:22 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas95
Would I be a social outcast to show up to a group ride without clipless pedals in a carbon bike?
I have multiple carbon bikes and only my Salsa Warbird Carbon and Trek Emonda SL have clipless pedals. I "upgraded" in September due to pressure but went with SPD's because the shoes are more walkable as I like to explore and wish to avoid the duck gait. They are also easier to get in and out of. I keep the pedals all the way loose and have not found I risk unclipping when I don't want to, but have found that when I tighten them the risk of not being able to unclip rises exponentially. Also the pedals and cleats need to "break in" so you should spend about 10 minutes in your garage or against the wall of your house clipping in and out repeatedly to put enough wear that you can get in and out easier. They are harder to clip in and out when new for that reason. The Bontrager Cambion shoes (out of production, I got the last few in my size online) are fairly stiff for plastic shoes but lacking carbon they are not quite as stiff, but not fragile so you can actually walk around in them.

That said my hybrid/commuter bike and several mountain bikes including Mukluk Carbon XT are all flat pedals. I find that I slip a fair amount on trails and I like the ability to bail on on demand. Despite all these mishaps I never fall because the flat pedals though slower help my feet fall out instantly to catch me from going down.

I will say I was faster than a lot of people even using flat pedals but going clipless all else being equal for same effort pushes you about ~2mph faster, about the same upgrade speed wise as carbon wheels. You really are missing out (on that and a bunch of falls) by staying on flat pedals but I would never ever go clipless on a commuter bike I ride in the city, with the fam, on bike paths or trails and other situations where a sudden and unpredictable stop can happen at a moment's notice.
Old 03-01-23, 02:53 PM
Atlas95

Bikes: 2015 Motobecane Mirage, 2022 Wabi Thunder

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Attilio

I will say I was faster than a lot of people even using flat pedals but going clipless all else being equal for same effort pushes you about ~2mph faster, about the same upgrade speed wise as carbon wheels. You really are missing out (on that and a bunch of falls) by staying on flat pedals but I would never ever go clipless on a commuter bike I ride in the city, with the fam, on bike paths or trails and other situations where a sudden and unpredictable stop can happen at a moment's notice.
What?! 2 mph faster for the same effort?! Is that real?!?!
Old 03-01-23, 05:37 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
And, OP get yourself a nice pair of these Levi's high tops for $40 to go with your fancy flat pedals! (I actually use these and they do provide nice ankle support and pedal feel without sensing the pedal pins.) Add $8 and get some Walmart gel insoles to go with them.

I will admit to being a bit of a contrarian which is part of the appeal of flats. But I also like the ability to move my foot forward to mash while climbing and move my foot back - ball over pedal axle - to spin. Helps to reduce fatigue as the ride progresses.

https://www.amazon.com/Levis-Oberyn-...17356373&psc=1
Old 03-01-23, 05:54 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
...about ~2mph faster, about the same upgrade speed wise as carbon wheels.
Impressive!

But I bought a whole carbon bike and I don't think I got ANY faster!

Last edited by jlaw; 03-01-23 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-01-23, 09:02 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
I have flats on all my bikes, including my Cervelo tri bike. But I already know I'm an odd duck.
Old 03-01-23, 09:25 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Its not real, clipless pedals help with sudden acceleration which can help in fast group rides where the pace can be surgy. However its just not a safety concern like aerobars or even flat bars, and people know that. Someone might say something about aerobars or lack of helmet, and they would have a point, but its just bad form to tell someone to get clipless pedals. They would be making themselves look foolish.

Another poster said his club required clipless pedals, tucked alongside rules with the aerobars and no supertucking, im gonna straight up call BS on that. Legit fast group rides would never care about clipless pedals to the point of making it a rule. I'd be embarrassed to be a part of a club that required that, it must be a slow pace. I ride flat pedals in groups, and the comments about flat pedals are always in the vein of "you might do better with these" not "you really should get these to be part of the group."

If you do show up with flat pedals, be prepared for extra scrutiny, riding in a group is dangerous and anything that is a tell that you might not know what is going on will make people wary around you. Once you demonstrate that you are fine you should have no issues, because flat pedals are just not a safety risk.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 03-01-23 at 09:32 PM.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 03-01-23, 10:04 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
2 mph for the pedals, plus another 2 mph for carbon wheels!
Old 03-01-23, 10:52 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
2 mph for the pedals, plus another 2 mph for carbon wheels!
Do the pros know this trick?
Old 03-01-23, 11:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 3,999 Times in 2,668 Posts
This is Connor McGregor's custom built FiftyOne road Bike. I would say it is probably a $15K road bike:

I would say unless the group has a rule agains them just tell them that Connor rides them and that should shut them up or he could UFC them and I don't want to see how that ends. Seriously it doesn't matter I ride MTB clipless pedals on my road bike and no issues and don't care what people think. When I get to a rest stop I can walk around comfortably...

People spend a lot of time worrying what others think and it is just silly if people don't like you over flat pedals they are dumb and aren't worth your time. Especially if you have a set of custom Crank Brothers Stamp 11s (I have the 7s and they are great). I remember probably 15 years ago reading a listing for a band looking for a drummer or someone and they were like if you drink this particular beer (Yuegnling I think) we don't want you in the group. It is dumb attitudes like that they cause a lot of problems in the world. I can say if someone showed up with some goofy exercise bike pedals like the ones that have toe clips on one side and a Look Delta clone on the other and weigh 2 pounds each that is fair game but flats vs. clipless who cares. There are so many more important things to worry about.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-02-23, 07:14 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Here's a suggestion for a question the OP might have in the future. If, if, you decide in the future that you want to try clipless, here's what to do. Find the cheapest SPD shoes you can find. Used from the Bay, CL, wherever. I went to REI and found some it their returned items area. They had a broken lace hole in one of the shoes. Same for the pedals. Find a cheap set of pedals with one side SPD, the other flat. Start out by clipping one foot in and the other flat. Ride around and switch. Ride some more. Switch some more. Clip both in, or not. Keep doing this and eventually it will click or not. If it does, then you can invest more in shoes/pedals. If not keep riding the flats.
Old 03-02-23, 07:23 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Do whatever makes you comfortable. If you can keep up and aren't all squirrelly go for it.
Old 04-01-23, 04:08 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
I put carbon wheels on three bikes these last two year because I liked the effect of one set on one and indeed it was about 2mph speed boost. I also was able to do same group riding. I was a freaking monster last year faster than so many people, doing ultra-centuries with 12k climb. Fell head over heels for this thing but I overtrained and still recovering. OUCH. One year older and wiser will be more careful in the future.
Old 04-01-23, 04:30 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
I put carbon wheels on three bikes these last two year because I liked the effect of one set on one and indeed it was about 2mph speed boost. I also was able to do same group riding. I was a freaking monster last year faster than so many people, doing ultra-centuries with 12k climb. Fell head over heels for this thing but I overtrained and still recovering. OUCH. One year older and wiser will be more careful in the future.
Cool! Is an "ultra-century" a double or triple or what?
Old 04-02-23, 10:42 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
If you show up to ride with a new group, your machine looks and sounds decent and well maintained, and you're wearing an appropriate bike kit, you are giving off virtue signals that other riders read as "This new person appears to know what they are doing, I feel comfortable riding with them."

If everyone in the group rides clipless (very likely), and you don't, they may suspect that your riding skills may not be up to par, and they may be cautious when riding near you.

Old 04-03-23, 11:17 AM
Atlas95

Bikes: 2015 Motobecane Mirage, 2022 Wabi Thunder

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
If you show up to ride with a new group, your machine looks and sounds decent and well maintained, and you're wearing an appropriate bike kit, you are giving off virtue signals that other riders read as "This new person appears to know what they are doing, I feel comfortable riding with them."

If everyone in the group rides clipless (very likely), and you don't, they may suspect that your riding skills may not be up to par, and they may be cautious when riding near you.
Not necessarily a bad thing...Once they see I can keep up I can't imagine it being a problem.
Old 04-03-23, 11:21 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Not necessarily a bad thing...Once they see I can keep up I can't imagine it being a problem.
Not necessarily. Being strong enough to keep up doesn't mean you have sufficient skills to ride in a group safely.

There's even a slang term for strong but unskilled riders: "fast Freds".

Old 04-03-23, 11:30 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Not necessarily. Being strong enough to keep up doesn't mean you have sufficient skills to ride in a group safely.

There's even a slang term for strong but unskilled riders: "fast Freds".
i prefer consistency in my virtues - slow and unskilled. no surprises!
Old 04-05-23, 08:52 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
When I bought my Domane SL5 in Jan. 2021, I was still at the beginning of recovering from being hit by a car (which completely destroyed my Domane ALR 5) and I didn’t trust my ability to unclip so I had the shop put dual-sided Shimano PD-EH500 (SPD) pedals on and used the flat side for most of the rest of that year. I’ve built up enough confidence to use the SPD side, now. But, having the option is still important to me.