Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wildlife Interactions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wildlife Interactions

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-23, 07:55 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Rescued (in the true sense versus adopting) a box turtle that had walked into a traffic lane narrowly missing getting hit. Haven’t picked up a turtle since I had one as a 5 YO. After his initial shock of being airborne, s/he started kicking with their back legs grazing my hand. I held on and get him back to a nearby pond where it quickly disappeared into the water with out even an ‘up yours’.
I did that years ago with a Michigan turtle. He wanted so badly to scrape my hands off but could just barely reach me with each of his four feet.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-15-23, 06:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
it is a pretty fantastic trail. I did 111 miles on thursday with a buddy and today I took my wife over and we did 28+ miles. I am planning on going over on my own next week and doing the whole thing out and back for about 144 miles. from Kellogg on it is pretty nice. I think the total elevation gain on the 111 mile stretch was under 1000 feet. amazing amount of bear scat on the trail but in 3 times on the trail I have not seen any bears.
Have you ever done the Olympian Trail?
Old 08-15-23, 08:21 AM
striker65

Bikes: Mongoose Dolomite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Katy TX at George Bush Park. This big boy was sunning, a lot of bikers were stopped taking pictures from the safety of a bridge.
Likes For striker65:
Old 08-15-23, 08:22 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

Ok. If I can ever get back to touring imma ride the CdA trail. I’ve only done the first seven miles west to Wallace. Not much to look at along that stretch. At least it’s fast.
howz the recovery going ?

hope you still have some more crazy wildlife interaction stories in the future !
Old 08-15-23, 08:23 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Have you ever done the Olympian Trail?
it is on my list and not sure why i have not done it. I have done the hiawatha several times.
Old 08-15-23, 08:24 AM
striker65

Bikes: Mongoose Dolomite

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Does this count? Earlier that week it still had its skin.
Likes For striker65:
Old 08-15-23, 09:49 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
A couple of months ago I did an early morning ride up one of our canyons . I like going early , it is cool , and usually I am alone . These canyon rides are quite popular with the local cycling clubs . As I rounded a corner there was a full grown coyote just off the shoulder looking at me a I approached . Usually they dart off as soon as they spot me . I was concerned as I know they are very fast and could be aggressive . I just kept pedaling and it never moved , it just watched as I climbed up the narrow canyon road. It was gone by the time I was heading out about 20 minutes later.
Old 08-15-23, 11:02 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
it is a pretty fantastic trail. I did 111 miles on thursday with a buddy and today I took my wife over and we did 28+ miles. I am planning on going over on my own next week and doing the whole thing out and back for about 144 miles. from Kellogg on it is pretty nice. I think the total elevation gain on the 111 mile stretch was under 1000 feet. amazing amount of bear scat on the trail but in 3 times on the trail I have not seen any bears.
I've seen a few moose on that trail but never a bull. A number of deer too, often right on the edge. I mostly have parked at Plummer and gone 20-25 miles before turning back. Have done more a few times. Once parked at Cataldo and rode to Plummer and back plus to Kellogg because I was helping a friend from my HS days get his first century. I have yet to ride it this year though. One of these weekends.... I really want to ride the rest that I have not yet Cataldo to the eastern end and back, in spite of it being so close to I 90, I think from Plummer to Swan Lake is about as good as it gets. Smooth with enough shade in places and good wildlife viewing. Ice Cream at Harrison is always a welcome stop.
Old 08-15-23, 05:46 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by t2p
howz the recovery going ?

hope you still have some more crazy wildlife interaction stories in the future !
Thanks. Still haven’t had the chance to try out a real bike. After Labor Day I will probably take a few vacation days up north where I can ride a wide trail that won’t be crowded during the week. I need to start in a relatively controlled environment with no traffic.
Old 08-15-23, 06:10 PM
indyfabz

it is on my list and not sure why i have not done it. I have done the hiawatha several times.
In 2017 I rode the first 2 or so miles west from St. Regis. It was so bad that I got on I-90 to Haugan. I picked up the trail again there and it was much better. About a mile after the trestle at Saltese there is a connector road that takes you down to the NorPac Trail. Took that trail all the way to Lookout Pass then descended on I-90 to Mullan to start the CdA Trail to Wallace.

In 2019 I did the Hiawatha after camping along the St. Joe about 8 miles east of Avery. The old right of way up to the Pearson trailhead was really nice. The Hiawatha itself was amazing, but I was like a salmon. I think I saw 3 other people heading up. Riding fully-loaded, I got a lot of looks from people going down.

There was a thread a year or two ago started by someone complaining about the trail use fee and the shuttle cost. (He was going to be in the area with his family.) I tried to convince him that it’s totally worth it, especially for the kids. Don’t know if he decided to open his wallet.

I have worked in the rail industry for more than 20 years. Riding the Hiawatha was a pilgrimage. I’ve also done the GAP a few times and the Mickelson once. The latter was a tough piece of railroad, reaching some 6,000’ in altitude at its highest point. The Hiawatha was even tougher, albeit lower, Think of what it took to build those trestles and dig those tunnels in the early 1900s.

Old 08-15-23, 07:32 PM
jadmt

In 2017 I rode the first 2 or so miles west from St. Regis. It was so bad that I got on I-90 to Haugan. I picked up the trail again there and it was much better. About a mile after the trestle at Saltese there is a connector road that takes you down to the NorPac Trail. Took that trail all the way to Lookout Pass then descended on I-90 to Mullan to start the CdA Trail to Wallace.

In 2019 I did the Hiawatha after camping along the St. Joe about 8 miles east of Avery. The old right of way up to the Pearson trailhead was really nice. The Hiawatha itself was amazing, but I was like a salmon. I think I saw 3 other people heading up. Riding fully-loaded, I got a lot of looks from people going down.

There was a thread a year or two ago started by someone complaining about the trail use fee and the shuttle cost. (He was going to be in the area with his family.) I tried to convince him that it’s totally worth it, especially for the kids. Don’t know if he decided to open his wallet.

I have worked in the rail industry for more than 20 years. Riding the Hiawatha was a pilgrimage. I’ve also done the GAP a few times and the Mickelson once. The latter was a tough piece of railroad, reaching some 6,000’ in altitude at its highest point. The Hiawatha was even tougher, albeit lower, Think of what it took to build those trestles and dig those tunnels in the early 1900s.

yes indeed. men of steel. that Avery Id is such a cool place. my best friends grandpa was an engineer for the Milwaukee and had many tales of Avery when we were growing up.
Old 08-16-23, 05:58 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I am enjoying the thread. Keep 'em coming.
Old 08-16-23, 12:20 PM
jadmt

just me and the turkeys again this morning.

Likes For jadmt:
Old 08-16-23, 02:27 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
I have ridden over countless snakes, mainly boa's and python's, many times on my mountain bike
You could be eaten.
Old 08-16-23, 07:55 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by tungsten
You could be eaten.
Possible........but not likely. That's why I'm speedy!
Old 08-16-23, 08:26 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
Possible........but not likely. That's why I'm speedy!
IDK. Blue is the slowest color for outrunning snakes. Just sayin’.
Old 08-17-23, 03:57 AM
indyfabz

Why did the turkeys cross the road? Starting up Dobson Pass from Wallace, ID. 2017.

They were a bit sheepinash. Cabonet Gorge, MT. 2017.

Likes For indyfabz: