Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cross Training w/ Kayaking?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-23, 02:38 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts

Anyone cross train with Kayaking? What are the benefits? I do know its an amazing aerobic exercise. Can get heart rate higher for longer which isn't always good though. I use good technique with a fairly fast composite boat with leg drive, squeezing glutes and turning with core instead of just pulling w/ your arms. You don't get very tired this way. I paddle less than I ride (harder because you have to go find water and also more sensitive to weather) but its something I also enjoy. Does anyone know what a good proportion or how it may positively affect cycling and work you out differently both aerobic and muscularly?
Old 09-21-23, 02:49 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Any physical activity is good and will benefit other kinds of physical activity. It would be really hard to quantify how much kayaking helps biking, or vice-versa. I don't know that you can even compare running/biking with swimming/biking and kayaking/biking in terms of effectiveness. Although I suspect that if you were to bike twice a week, run or hike twice a week, and once or twice a week row, kayak, or swim, you'd be a pretty fit dude or gal. The real trick would be figuring out how to also fit in some weightlifting and yoga.
Old 09-21-23, 02:49 PM
SwtBadger

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I use to split time biking and kayaking, but really don't think there is much direct cross training benefit besides that of general fitness and allowing more complete recovery of the opposite activity. Perhaps some benefit in sense of balancing although the lean is opposite when turning between the two. True that in kayaking one braces with one legs but this really doesn't reflect the motion one does while cycling.

That being said, do both... they are both worthwhile activities.
Likes For SwtBadger:
Old 09-21-23, 02:59 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Grown men in roto molded pointy wading pools make me chuckle...
Old 09-21-23, 03:59 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Any type of cross-training beneficial....Running, kayaking, hiking, walking, weight training, bodyweight calisthenics, skiing, rowing, physical labor work, they're all beneficial. Find what you enjoy and just do it.
Old 09-21-23, 04:59 PM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I got through the pandemic cycling and kayaking. I do flat water - lakes, rivers and streams. I describe it as high reps, low intensity. I've cycled for 30 years, but my body has felt more in balance since adding kayaking. I feel the difference in my core. Especially my abdomen. Also increased arm and hand strength. All this seems to perfectly compliment the benefits of cycling. The water has many psychological benefits too.
Likes For Pinelander:
Old 09-21-23, 06:02 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
I sea kayak and it is good combination with biking in my mind, biggest problem is kayaking is pretty much and all day thing so not biking those days

and both my bike and my boat are green

Pics just because there are not enough pics on this forums

Old 09-21-23, 09:40 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
I like doing both, bikes are more lower body, kayaks more upper, and they kind of meet in the middle. I have almost as many kayaks as bikes, way less maintenance with kayaks though.
Tim

Old 09-21-23, 10:16 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
My cross training for cycling used to consist of swimming and cross country skiing
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-22-23, 06:20 AM
Attilio

Originally Posted by Broctoon
Any physical activity is good and will benefit other kinds of physical activity. It would be really hard to quantify how much kayaking helps biking, or vice-versa. I don't know that you can even compare running/biking with swimming/biking and kayaking/biking in terms of effectiveness. Although I suspect that if you were to bike twice a week, run or hike twice a week, and once or twice a week row, kayak, or swim, you'd be a pretty fit dude or gal. The real trick would be figuring out how to also fit in some weightlifting and yoga.
I do, all the above, sort of. Bike 50-150mi a week, kayak a couple times a week, stretch a fair amount, weight train 3-5x a week.

Long story short happily married w/ 2 kids but am like a divorced dad on account of wife being back in school and kids getting all A's in honors classes and sport. All they do is study or go to practice so I have lots of free time. Not all at once but my truck is the mobile exercise machine. I have adjustable dumbells, bands, mat in there so anywhere I go I bring bike or kayak for fun while they do their thing at a competition or practice and when done with the vehicle (bike or kayak) I do the stretches and resistance training. I have type 1 diabetes so need at least 2 hours of movement per day to get my sugars regulated without doing too much insulin which makes you fat and hungry as all hell. Its nice to be middle aged and (slightly) muscular and super fit but there's a price in time/effort to pay for this!
Likes For Attilio:
Old 09-22-23, 06:21 AM
Attilio

Originally Posted by tkamd73
I like doing both, bikes are more lower body, kayaks more upper, and they kind of meet in the middle. I have almost as many kayaks as bikes, way less maintenance with kayaks though.
Tim

Nice boats! I like the Stellar line myself and agree kayaks are almost no maintenance. Every once in a while need to repair the gelcoat from impacts but that's rare you get smart with how and where you paddle.
Likes For Attilio:
Old 09-22-23, 06:22 AM
Attilio

Originally Posted by squirtdad
I sea kayak and it is good combination with biking in my mind, biggest problem is kayaking is pretty much and all day thing so not biking those days

and both my bike and my boat are green

Pics just because there are not enough pics on this forums

I like the compass and dry suit. I have both too!
Old 09-22-23, 06:23 AM
Attilio

Originally Posted by SwtBadger
I use to split time biking and kayaking, but really don't think there is much direct cross training benefit besides that of general fitness and allowing more complete recovery of the opposite activity. Perhaps some benefit in sense of balancing although the lean is opposite when turning between the two. True that in kayaking one braces with one legs but this really doesn't reflect the motion one does while cycling.

That being said, do both... they are both worthwhile activities.
Yes most boats you lean away from the turn but I heard the P&H kayaks are designed so that you get more turning when you lean INTO the turn. Never had one only what I read.
Old 09-22-23, 07:04 AM
wheelreason

So is a canoe a 1x Kayak?...
Old 09-22-23, 07:05 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Grown men in roto molded pointy wading pools make me chuckle...
Yea, but it's still not quite as funny as grown men in spandex.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 09-22-23, 07:18 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by Attilio
Nice boats! I like the Stellar line myself and agree kayaks are almost no maintenance. Every once in a while need to repair the gelcoat from impacts but that's rare you get smart with how and where you paddle.
Stellar builds some awesome boats, if I add to my fleet, it will be one of theirs. Yeah, I’ve holed my Seda a few times, getting pretty good at gelcoat repairs, not sure I’m getting any smarter at my age though.😁
Tim
Old 09-22-23, 07:29 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
A canoe is an upright kayak ..... tall stem, high handlebars kayak
Old 09-22-23, 07:40 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Cycling only benefits your upper leg muscles your heart muscle and cardiovascular and pulmonary system. IMO, it doesn't do much for any other muscle group. So anything else you do is helpful.

I imaging kayaking gives a good upper body workout and gives you a good grip strength. All of which is a big help for maintaining the propped up position we stay in for 40 - 100 miles or more. As my upper body strength and grip strength have decreased during retirement, I've noticed I get a few more aches and pains on the bike even though nothing has changed on the bike. When I do exercises to build back my muscle in those areas the aches, pains and gripes go away.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-22-23, 10:19 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by Iride01
Cycling only benefits your upper leg muscles your heart muscle and cardiovascular and pulmonary system. IMO, it doesn't do much for any other muscle group. So anything else you do is helpful.

I imaging kayaking gives a good upper body workout and gives you a good grip strength. All of which is a big help for maintaining the propped up position we stay in for 40 - 100 miles or more. As my upper body strength and grip strength have decreased during retirement, I've noticed I get a few more aches and pains on the bike even though nothing has changed on the bike. When I do exercises to build back my muscle in those areas the aches, pains and gripes go away.
for sea kayaking, if you paddle efficiently it is primarily the core that generates the power, major arm muscles used are the triceps with the pull back and a bit counter intuitively, the legs get a small amount of use as you brace with your left leg when the paddling on the right and vice versa, it is takes coordination and almost feels a bit like pedaling. very few kayakers do the opposite leg brace consistently (just took a stroke efficiency clinc)

Old 09-22-23, 10:20 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
I would think a better alternative would be a scull In that way, you are using arms, legs and core very similar to a rowing machine but not boring.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-22-23, 03:22 PM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by tkamd73
Tim

K+1 is the kayak version of N+1

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-23-23, 10:31 AM
wheelreason

Originally Posted by RH Clark
Yea, but it's still not quite as funny as grown men in spandex.
Have you seen the "professional" yak anglers' jerseys?...
Old 09-27-23, 01:22 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Have you seen the "professional" yak anglers' jerseys?...
No sir. I would assume much the same. I Just meant that the pot shouldn't be calling the kettle black.

Personally, I think yoga is excellent to pair with cycling. I also ride different bikes as MTB riding is a bit different from a light road bike, but do complement each other. I also own about 5 kayaks but just consider them extra fun more than anything to help train for fitness. Basically, anything you like to do that is physically challenging is the way to go. Do it because you love it and you will do more of it, than if you do it because you need to.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 09-27-23, 02:10 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Cross training just keeps things more interesting! I'd be bored if cycling was my only physical activity. In terms of direct benefits, I almost feel like calisthenics and body exercises would make a good crossover workout. It's a bit like combining yoga and strength training together, which I think compliment cycling quite well.
Old 09-27-23, 02:26 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
I think setting aside cardio and respiratory benefits, cycling only uses a few muscle groups compared to most physical activities. Can lead to muscle imbalances. Too much push, not enough pull, etc etc. think I’m running into that a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.