Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Should I "Hoard" Mechanical High End Parts?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Should I "Hoard" Mechanical High End Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-23, 08:20 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
My thoughts are if you have a bike you love and want to die riding, then do what you need to do to reasonably ensure you can keep it going. Maybe even consider buying another one of the same bike as something you can take parts off as needed.

But if you're really more of a Luddite and just want to use tech that is becoming obsolete, that's of course fine. In that case, I might be more inclined to keep on eye on the availability of parts. When you start seeing something harder to locate, then buy what you think you might need. But that takes some effort and vigilance to stay on top of it.
Its the latter case I am a luddite because I don't like the idea of even more batteries to change or recharge and the buttons vs the tactile feel. Not a fan of drop bars in general the control is never as good as flat bar (different fingers shift and brake at the same time) but I get it for group rides and keeping up you need the aero. I don't want to bother being vigilant I just want a small pile of 105/Ultegra/XT or SLX parts they don't look expensive from what I am searching.
Old 11-07-23, 08:23 PM
Attilio

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Hoarding spare parts is the gateway to N+1, so by all means, yes. It starts with buying one or two components as spares when they go on sale. Eventually, one ends up with a sufficient imbalance between components and bikes such that one can nearly assemble another bike but for a few missing components, so one buys those too and builds another bike. Lather, rinse, repeat.
I already mentioned this but I do not like to tinker. In the buy vs build debate I am 100% buy because I don't have the patience or attention span to be bothered. To me there is no satisfaction of making something myself, only the annoyance that it wasted me time and created aggravation. I get it how people say electronic groupsets are lower maintenance but in the 105 or better range which is sort of a boon for me because I hate having to remember things but personally I have not seen any need for adjustment or maintenance (cables) in the 3-4 years I have owned bikes of that caliber.
Old 11-07-23, 08:39 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Attilio
I don't work on my bikes at all. In the buy vs build debate I am a 100% buy as I can't be bothered to tinker. I'd rather use the time to stretch, work out, kayak or ride more, work or just rest.
There are a few things that I have done at a shop that just does servicing, although they can source parts. They have no issue with installing parts that I have found elsewhere.

I’m not sure if it is acceptable to furnish your own components at the LBS you use or not. It may be commonplace in the industry, I have no idea.

But it might be prudent to find out if the shop will install customer supplied components, especially ones that are no longer available.

John
Old 11-07-23, 08:49 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
My name is Terry, and I'm a hoarder.

My main bike has Dura-Ace 10-speed (mechanical). I hoarded Dura-Ace chains and cassettes for as long as I could find them, but those are long gone. Now I am hoarding Ultegra chains and cassettes. I found some Dura-Ace OEM hoods for the levers at a local shop, so those are tucked away.

I don't bother with derailleurs, as they last forever. But if one of the levers goes bad, I am screwed.

If anyone tells you that obsolete group set components are easy to find as new old stock, they are shameful liars.
I also keep derailleurs - in case of damage due to crash etc
Old 11-07-23, 08:56 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
I hoarded an extra set of Di2 brake/shifters and disc calipers that I picked up for $199. These were the original disc 11-speed ones from 2014.

Eventually, I built up another bike around them.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 11-07-23, 09:13 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Hoading is fun and justified when its small components.

Not so much fun when it's entire wheelsets, frames, forks.

I admit I do fix and resell bikes, but the truth is that anyone can hoard.
Old 11-07-23, 11:29 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Where is trekmogul ?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 11-08-23, 03:43 AM
Attilio

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
There are a few things that I have done at a shop that just does servicing, although they can source parts. They have no issue with installing parts that I have found elsewhere.

I’m not sure if it is acceptable to furnish your own components at the LBS you use or not. It may be commonplace in the industry, I have no idea.

But it might be prudent to find out if the shop will install customer supplied components, especially ones that are no longer available.

John
I use several actually because I own a few different brands. One the Treks go to Trek which behaves as close to LBS as possible except for the fact that their mechanics are totally incompetent except one. At this point I am considered a good customer because I have bought more than one bike, brought friends and belong to a local cycling club that promotes them there so I am one of the customers that gets the "good" mechanic. As far as my other LBS they are amazing. Its three guys, one who owns it and two younger dudes all of them love the sport and they do outstanding work. Sometimes depending on direction I am driving there is a third one I utilize as well. In all cases they really don't care. If I really, really needed I also know a handful of people in the club that offered to do work for me they seem to do a good job so I don't think I have any issues finding someone to work on my bike. If I really wanted I definitely could I just hate sitting there fixing things. Its a long story but part of the side gig of my job is fixing things and you know how it is owning a business or property when its below a certain threshold if you call in the handyman or someone to fix it it starts at a $1-200 just to call them in plus parts and labor when you can do it in 5-10 minutes. I make really good money but that is probably the "most' money I make and best paid thing I do, fixing stupid little things instead of calling someone. Anything of significance though I definitely call. But its gets old and tiring. When I'm home I want to play and dealing with things that don't work for me is not fun.
Old 11-08-23, 10:28 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
That is a Campagnolo problem. There will never be a problem finding 11 speed chains and cassettes. The electronic 11 speed groupsets use the same chains and cassettes.
20 years ago you would have said the same thing about 9 speed parts.
Old 11-08-23, 12:41 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
20 years ago you would have said the same thing about 9 speed parts.
And guess what, there is no problem whatsoever finding Shimano compatible 9 speed chains and cassettes today. Like I said, this is a Campagnolo problem.
Old 11-08-23, 12:48 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
And guess what, there is no problem whatsoever finding Shimano compatible 9 speed chains and cassettes today. Like I said, this is a Campagnolo problem.
And those 9-speed Shimano (and compatible) chains work perfectly well with Campagnolo shifters.
Old 11-08-23, 02:17 PM
storckm
Cyclist

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
And when you replace the cables, you have to rewrap the bars, even if the tape is still ok.
Maybe I'm risking death by not replacing my cables annually, but I commute by bicycle year round and don't replace the cables anything like yearly. And I certainly don't need to rewrap my bars unless I'm replacing housing too.

I do have a single speed for ice, snow, and salt.

Last edited by storckm; 11-08-23 at 04:36 PM.
Likes For storckm:
Old 11-08-23, 03:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
The problem with the watch analogy is that the Swiss continued to sell their top mechanical watches as a more desirable product than the quartz watches they sold, whereas you don't see Shimano, Campagnolo, and SRAM doing so. Also, top of the line in watches = "what rich people wear", whereas top of the line in bikes = "what the pros ride".

Mind you, if Shimano starts offering a mechanical groupset ABOVE Dura Ace Di2, I'll have been proven wrong.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-08-23, 05:37 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
I think it is different for everyone.

I recently did a custom bike with ultega r8000. the last mechanical ultegra group.

I did future proof by buying spares fir things like brake/shifter levers and derailers that could be hard to source in 10 to 15 years and are easy to break by dropping bike or simply falling over

I based this on a build a few years back and when I was amazed at how hard it was to find the specific 9 speed parts I wanted

I do think that in the future I could swap many parts out with niche products like Rene Herse, Velo Orange, Paul, Indgrid components, but some are harder than others

Last edited by squirtdad; 11-09-23 at 05:53 PM.
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 11-08-23, 06:02 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
What are you talking about? Most people have enough room to store a tub of spares if they need them. Now if you are talking piles, I'd say no. Either way, it will still work out that you didn't keep that one part you needed.
Old 11-08-23, 06:47 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Used to have so many miscellaneous parts in my parts bins that I could easily put two or three bicycles together with them. Not any more. Over the past few years my parts bins have gotten kinda skimpy...
Old 11-08-23, 07:06 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I can certainly see the point to buying brifters (STI levers for the squeamish) and derailleurs, but past that, I cannot see where parts should become hard to find. I am sure there will be firms buying up old Shimano patents or just making knock-offs of old parts when Shimano is full wireless electronic and riders wear halos with electrodes into their scalps for shifting and braking.
Old 11-08-23, 08:43 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I can certainly see the point to buying brifters (STI levers for the squeamish) and derailleurs, but past that, I cannot see where parts should become hard to find. I am sure there will be firms buying up old Shimano patents or just making knock-offs of old parts when Shimano is full wireless electronic and riders wear halos with electrodes into their scalps for shifting and braking.
Certain components are rarer than others. For example, I bought 2 out of the 3 last remaining Prestacycle 11-speed Uniblock 12-28 cassettes. Yes, some Amazon off-brand seller may eventually sell knock-offs but I would not want to use them because I doubt that they are of comparable quality.
Old 11-09-23, 06:48 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by One Wheel
Not an original observation, but one I agree with:

Prior to the 1960s or so, watches were mechanical. Then electronic watches were introduced, and they were very expensive. That technology trickled down, and now if you want a cheap watch or a specific-use timing system it's electronic, but really nice watches are mechanical. Bike shifting technology is following the same curve, and is at the "starting to trickle down" phase. It may be hard to get mechanical shifting for a few years, and it will be more expensive when it does come back in style, but it will never be gone forever (from consumer bikes: it may be gone forever from pro racing).
Mechanical shifting will never come back in “style” as these are not fashion items like watches. Electronic shifting will certainly trickle down the product range and mechanical shifting will probably remain at the very bottom of the food chain. But there will always be a residual C&V demand for higher end period mechanical group sets.

Dgital cameras are probably a much better analogy here. Nobody is using mechanical cameras anymore other than C&V collectors.
Old 11-09-23, 07:02 AM
One Wheel

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Mechanical shifting will never come back in “style” as these are not fashion items like watches. Electronic shifting will certainly trickle down the product range and mechanical shifting will probably remain at the very bottom of the food chain. But there will always be a residual C&V demand for higher end period mechanical group sets.

Dgital cameras are probably a much better analogy here. Nobody is using mechanical cameras anymore other than C&V collectors.
I hope and believe that you're wrong, both about mechanical groupsets and analog cameras. I will grant that there's a real possibility that you're not, though.
Old 11-09-23, 07:38 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm hoarding, but I did buy replacement 6603 STI & Derailleurs on clearance for future replacements when 6700 came out.
Old 11-09-23, 07:41 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by One Wheel
I hope and believe that you're wrong, both about mechanical groupsets and analog cameras. I will grant that there's a real possibility that you're not, though.
These things will always exist if you prefer to use them. Just don’t expect them to make a mainstream comeback.
Old 11-09-23, 08:14 AM
robobike316 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 61 Posts
There is a fine, invisible line that separates hoarding from having a reasonable supply of harder to find older equipment. I am pretty sure I crossed it a few years ago!
Likes For robobike316:
Old 11-09-23, 09:25 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
I know that the bikes that I have now will easily outlive me. Aside from maybe a couple chains. And I find it quite satisfying to see the accumulata going out the door to be stored somewhere else.

Earlier this year I flipped a small pile of vintage Campy parts for a bit over $1K. That has become my cigar fund.

Thanks, guys !
Old 11-09-23, 10:55 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Only hord toilet paper. It’s the American way!

Likes For rsbob:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.