Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1984 Peugeot 12 Vitesse - New Zealand

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1984 Peugeot 12 Vitesse - New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-23, 04:00 AM
bstrummer

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot 12 speed, YAK Balboa 15 speed Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hey thanks for the helpful information. I would have been none the wiser with the drop-out screws. I've let the bike mechanic Josca know and will probably hear from him in the morning.
Old 11-08-23, 04:01 AM
bstrummer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ah yes, that's quite likely! No delete key in those days.
Old 11-08-23, 03:08 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by bstrummer
Wow! That is very interesting thank you!
I should like to note that I am 1.94 metres tall. So perhaps I need a larger frame still! :-)
Is the PBN10S the same as PBN10?
Hey thanks for the helpful information. I would have been none the wiser with the drop-out screws. I've let the bike mechanic Josca know and will probably hear from him in the morning.
should look like this

Old 11-08-23, 09:39 PM
bstrummer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you - I shared this with Josca. His reply as follows:-

Aha!

Thanks.
A minor detail but it may have significance for the relationship of the position of the rear axle further forward in relation to the position of Simplex derailleur.
I think the cap nuts are long gone, and not something that's easy to find so I will recheck your box of parts.
Simply reversing the screws would do the trick to use up space in the dropout.
Old 11-09-23, 01:31 AM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
Thank you - I shared this with Josca. His reply as follows:-

Aha!

Thanks.
A minor detail but it may have significance for the relationship of the position of the rear axle further forward in relation to the position of Simplex derailleur.
I think the cap nuts are long gone, and not something that's easy to find so I will recheck your box of parts.
Simply reversing the screws would do the trick to use up space in the dropout.
Yep - agree it is a minor detail( thats the french for you) , and reversal would work sort of .
If you want to keep it correct let me know and I will dig out a couple of nuts for you

Get it back together and ride the darn thing !!
Old 11-12-23, 10:13 PM
bstrummer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yes will do thanks. I'm letting Josca make the call and will see what he comes up with. Good to know the correct parts are available thanks again.
Old 11-17-23, 12:53 AM
bstrummer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The build is almost complete. The good news from Josca is as follows:-
"The tiny dropout screw cap nuts have been found in a tiny bag at the bottom of one of your boxes. I will install them as per your simplex experts picture when I'm back on the tools on Monday."

Just now waiting for new toe strap cages to be fitted to replace the ugly rusty ones.
The original black leather Cinelli saddle will replace the one shown.

Photos show the bike in its current state. Note the 1990s Italian racer Battaglin up for sale.

The bell is cunningly covering a tear in the handle bars binding material. It was decided to be in too good condition to replace.

Rusted toe strap cages; not a good look.
Old 11-17-23, 05:28 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,680 Posts
When those blackwall tires wear out, perhaps consider installing some period-correct skinwall tires. Many of us who were working in bike shops when bikes such as yours were new associate blackwall tires with low-end department store bikes, since those were the only road-style bikes that came with blackwall tires in those days.
Old 11-17-23, 09:52 PM
agnewton

Bikes: Peugeot UO-10, '78; Fuji Sp.RR, '73, mixte '75

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Hi,I want to thank you both, #1simplexnut and #bstrummer, for sharing your expertise and experience with these Pugs. I found your thread last Friday and read it over the weekend. Glad life has given you the leisure to return to your restoration, #bstrummer. You've followed up on a project thread you started in 2017. Makes me feel a little guilty about my own old, orphan threads on bikeforms.

I came across your post when I was searching for background on a Peugeot I bought off my local craigslist here in the US. It had a little sticker "PH11 USNM62x". I thought it would be pretty straightforward to identify the model with that info, but there were no PH11 models in the US catalogs, none were apparently sold in the US, and some of the mismatches [rim sizes (27 Fr v 700c Rr); hub date codes (84 v 87), etc.] left me puzzled about the year and value. The groupset on the bike most closely matched the specs from the PBN10 in the Peugeot NZ catalog that #1simplexnut posted (thank you) and the paint/ chrome fork/ decals are a dead match except for the frame tubing sticker: Brazed Butted Tubes (BBT). While I'll probably never know for sure how it ended up in the US (the seller was not the original owner), your post has provided me with lots of useful info-- I am definitely going to the Helicomatic museum again.

Your NZ made frame is a unique and rare bird with a good origin story. "Cool," methinks. Those forged Simplex dropouts with adjuster are a nice touch and, I think, an upgrade over the faux-forged dropouts that are on my PH11 frame-- the stamped dropouts have some "relief" and an integrated hangar). The external lugs are classic style. I am still not sure what tubing is involved in the BBT frame, but my search for the "Mangaloy" that the PBN10 frame was made out makes me think that it's a different tubing than Peugeot's "Carbolite" (https://thevelocollective.com/peugeot-pro-team-hle/) and an upgrade, too. For that reason, I think #1simplexnut's recollection about the "no frame sticker" must be accurate.

Congratulations on being within sight of the finish line. I am looking forward to some inspirational pictures of the completed bike and a ride review. Summer is coming down there, enjoy your new ride.

Aric
Likes For agnewton:
Old 11-20-23, 07:33 PM
bstrummer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hi Aric, You're most welcome and thank you for sharing your 'Pug' story. I'm just about to collect my PBN10 from Josca then install lovely new toe clip cages along with the original saddle. Photos of the finished bike will definitely be shared once I've finished those small details. I might be tempted to go for a test ride first though. The sun is shining - for a change! Josca tells me "My test rides it seems to ride perfectly" and 'Not too many of these rebuilds go together with so few parts renewed ad cables, chain and BB bearings!!"
Old 12-16-23, 10:38 PM
bstrummer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Here are some photos of the completed build. There are some teething problems with gear slippage (the chain freewheeling across the top of the gear teeth) which I hope will be possible to sort out. The saddle is a bit firm for my liking so might swap that out although I'm loathe to replace a period correct item.
It's more difficult to photograph a bike than I realised but hope these do justice.
The front forks are missing their decals. I'm not in a hurry to add them because they need spray lacquering which is a job and a half done properly.
Very happy with the way the bike has turned out, despite spending (predictably!) more than originally planned. Often the way with these things! :-)

The finished build 1

The finished build 2

The finished build 3

First decent ride - a few adjustments needed (note saddle!)

An attempted artistic shot. Don't give up the day job!

Last edited by bstrummer; 12-16-23 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Likes For bstrummer:
Old 12-18-23, 01:31 PM
agnewton

Bikes: Peugeot UO-10, '78; Fuji Sp.RR, '73, mixte '75

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
bstrummer,

Very Nice. thanks for the shots. I like the contrast between the bar tape and the frame coat. Is the bar tape leather?

In my experience, the chain skipping across the freewheel and the uncertainty about the saddle are all just part of the normal process of refinement. I'm all for taking the pictures now before the high-shine on the buffed aluminum tarnishes.

The chain skips could be any of many things (derailleur hanger alignment, worn freewheel teeth, etc.). But a saddle option that would be classic but not vintage could make you happy. Quite a few of the 80's classic models have been reproduced (or are still in production?). A San Marco Rolls or Concor Supercorsa with padding from this century might be a bit more forgiving. Wiggle had a number of these styles during the pandemic years but they seem to be out of stock now. You might be able to find one in the corners of the internets. A new saddle is gonna add to the project overruns, but I like to think hobby money is fungible- I would just spend it on different hobby.