Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rohloff Equipped Weird Frame Belt Drive...Worth it?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24, 03:48 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

Thought this might make a decent commuter/town bike. Is it worth $600 if it fits? Seems those Rohloffs are quality.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/771224334582708/?mibextid=dXMIcH
Old 03-14-24, 07:46 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
I would say yes - Intec looks pretty nice, appear to be a low-volume German frame builder.

Rohloff hub, belt drive, dynamo hub, rack, leather seat - this is a very nice commuter build.
Old 03-14-24, 04:14 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
It is my understanding that Rohloff makes extremely high quality hubs. The only thing they make is internally geared hubs so they're a specialty company, meaning they can dedicate all of their focus to making the best product possible. At least that's the idea and it seems to be working.
That hub alone, brand new, costs in the neighborhood of $1200-$1500. Used, if you can find one, is almost the same price.
So, you're basically buying that hub with a free bicycle attached. If the frame doesn't fit, keep the hub and all other components and just get a different frame.
Likes For Pantah:
Old 03-14-24, 06:14 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by Pantah
It is my understanding that Rohloff makes extremely high quality hubs. The only thing they make is internally geared hubs so they're a specialty company, meaning they can dedicate all of their focus to making the best product possible. At least that's the idea and it seems to be working.
That hub alone, brand new, costs in the neighborhood of $1200-$1500. Used, if you can find one, is almost the same price.
So, you're basically buying that hub with a free bicycle attached. If the frame doesn't fit, keep the hub and all other components and just get a different frame.
Good point. If I don't understand the love, maybe I could sell the hub on ebay
Old 03-15-24, 05:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
You posted this in your other thread? Not really a need to double post. Like I said in the other thread it is probably fine. Rohloffs are good this one may need some service.
Old 03-15-24, 06:15 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by veganbikes
You posted this in your other thread? Not really a need to double post. Like I said in the other thread it is probably fine. Rohloffs are good this one may need some service.
Yes I did. I wanted to get as many opinions as possible on a niche bike. Seemed like the best way.
Old 03-15-24, 08:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Yes I did. I wanted to get as many opinions as possible on a niche bike. Seemed like the best way.
Not great etiquette. People would just post the same thing over and over if they didn't get the result they wanted and would be a bit of chaos.
Old 03-22-24, 11:18 AM
RoadWearier

Well the bike was too small for me. Wasn't the size he said it was. Hydraulic brake line in front was linked. Rear wheel was rubbing on either the frame or the fenders. Oh well. Half the fun of scrounging for bikes is the adventure.