Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

More questions about Florida...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-06, 06:28 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Once again, I'd like to hear from Florida based riders. I'll be looking to get out of the freezing, too-expensive-to-live-here northeast in about five years, possibly sooner.

I've heard the good and bad from a lot of people.

Good: Nice climate, if you don't mind summer heat and humidity. ( I love the hot weather. )
Bad: Hurricanes can be nasty. ( So can snow storms and ice storms. )

Good: Housing costs are lower.
Bad: Wages are also lower over all.

etc..

I want to hear about what it's like to ride. Specifically, I want to learn about towns that are good for cyclists, and towns that are bad for cyclists. Since I'll be into my 50's soon, the gulf coast sounds better for me than the youth-oriented atlantic coast. (I've heard nothing but bad about Miami. It's supposed to be fine if you're into a plastic lifestyle and plastic women. )

Uh, I understand there are some towns where darn near the entire population is composed of ex-masschusetts folks. Is this true? It's no secret that there is a huge exodus of people leaving the "pay state".

Any and all information is welcome. Thanks.
Old 05-16-06, 07:57 PM
ScrubJ

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll give this my best shot.

Housing may not be as cheap as you might exxpect. Spend some time searching listings on the internet to get some ideas. The wealth that has moved into some areas has done a fine job of skewing the local economy.

Wages are moving up along with everything else. No winter wardrobe, no snow tires, no insane heating bills.

Heat is one thing, humidity and heat are another, think sauna. Winter weather is wet too, remember this.

Hurricanes, bah, the alligators will get you befor the 'canes : ) We lived through 20 hours of hurricane force winds, two hurricanes and two weeks w/o power. Cost of living in paradise. I live minutes away from both fresh and salt water fishing and the Atlantic ocean.

The bad: Biking sucks major here in my area (Vero Beach) but I imagine it is better in other areas. Few bike lanes, little or no shoulders on the road. Most of south Florida is flat, so you have to hit the middle or upper areas for some terrain.

Do NOT assume one coast less/more aged than the other. The land boom here has pretty much taken both coasts and equalized the age thing. You can find more "senior" areas just about anywhere if you look, Vero being one. FWIW here, I'm 50+ but a native.

Yup on the "by state" population areas. Joe from somewhere moves down, tells Fred what a life he is having and before you know it, the whole damn state is here.

I'll add as I think of things.
Old 05-16-06, 08:02 PM
ScrubJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure how to edit, wanted to fix a couple of spelling errors.

You are right about Miami, but I think the problems (other than the language barrier) are typical of ANY large city.
Old 05-17-06, 12:27 AM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
IMHO I am so glad to be out of FL. Cultural Adversity vs. Cultural Diversity - more so in the SE section Vero Beach South to Miami.

I gave up riding in Coral Springs, FL. Why - one morning almost hit three times and I mean close calls.

The Gulf side is far more civilized in my opinion, but in the smaller communities you give up art, education centers, etc. and gain a far friendlier and more relaxed environment.

I love the FL Panhandle or did. It has been a few years since I spent much time there.

I flew out to Port Charolette to help ex - mother-in-law after Charlie and ended up with a broken foot. We got our furniture on Thursday, closed on a house on Friday and Andrew hit on Sunday. Wiped out my office next to Miami Intl.

Remember:

No place is as bad as the place your going or as good as the place you just left.

(unkwon author, picked it up during those military moves)
Old 05-17-06, 12:33 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're going to move to Florida, you'll want to start your research now on which model Buick would suit you best.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-17-06, 04:53 AM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I've lived in Gainesville since 1982 and love it. Cycling around here is excellent and all year. It is easy to get out of town and onto quiet country roads and there is a very active cycling community at all levels if group riding is your things. If you like long, hard climbs you will be in the wrong place. There are places with short hills (up to 200' high or so, but you have to search these out) so it isn't pancake flat. Housing used to be very cheap, but housing prices have gone up a lot in the last two years. There is a real shortage of housing in the mid-price range.

Two years ago was the only serious tropical weather we have had here since I've been in Gainesville with two storms in two weeks. We were without power for all of 6 or 7 hours total. I own my own house and two rentals and we had not a scratch. Truth be told I know other folks that live out in the country that were without power for two weeks and others that had trees come down doing extensive damage.

As for weather we do have four seasons: fall, spring, summer, and summer again. The summer never gets as bad as the worst of the midwest, but it just seem to go on forever with afternoon highs in the low 90's. In the winter we typically have frost a handful of times.
Old 05-17-06, 05:54 AM
Travelinguyrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The above `covered the FLORIDA lifestyle well.
Its no worse, no better than anywhere else, one takes ones ideas and lifestyles as one moves
The temp may be a plus, local taxes are moving up as the GOV and state legislature cut taxes. housing averages maybe 300K+ south of orlando and taxes in FTL on that house prob about 5K$per year
Wages far lower than otherplaces, this state still has the "plantation culture" keep the help dumb. u educate them u gunna have probs. Send the kids north or west for a good education many of the private schools here are Xtian based and don't do a very good job on the sciences

If u r ret'd and have a GOOD pension plus cash for a house you will be ok

Bike riding, pretty dangerous all over SO FLA, very few good places, a few, but not many, some cab drivers will try to run u off the road, especially the guys from the Islands.The old and slo just can't or don't want to see riders

Hurricanes are not a big deal HOME DEPOT and LOWES are selling generators as fast as they can stock them, now if local gov'ts can do something about the noise they produce and the danger from stockpiling gas to run the things.............

It "ain't" paradise, it ain't " cheaper overall,but beats cold winters.U goota learn to play bridge, or golf, wear white pants a white belt and white shoes, get to the early bird dinners before its all gone, hit the cheap chinese buffets,, and fer GAWDS sake DRIVE SLO IN THE LEFT LANES
Old 05-17-06, 06:04 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I moved here two years ago from San Fransisco and while I love the winter weather the scenary leaves a lot to be desired and don't plan on riding any hills. I can ride for 60+mi and climb a total of 30'. Like anywhere else everything varies by location. I would not be happy on Miami Beach (unless I was single) but we are very happy in Weston. We have very good bike lanes here and many large clubs. If you go out on a Sat/Sun morning you will see 3-5 30+ groups riding and many single riders as well. If you live close to the beach A1 or A1A then traffic and narrow roads, no bike lanes make it a bit more dangerous. There is pretty good racing as well as there is a Velodrome close by and Miami Masters run frequent Crits.

As for cost of living while the housing prices are similar to big cities elswhere you will be shocked by the cost of both automobile and home insurance. I am paying 10x for home insurance and 3x for car insurance from what I paid in SF or Chicago previously.
Old 05-17-06, 08:45 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live in Central Florida which is dominated by Orlando.

For cycling there are some nice bonuses. You get year round riding. The terrain tends to be flat but over by Clermont you get some nice hills. The hills are not big but you get 7% grades with steep parts at 14%. There is some nice rural riding in FL. In central Florida, this means Deland, Poinciana, Mount Dora, Clermont, Umatilla, Ferndale, Groveland, Center Hill, Okahumpka, Astatula and other places. A problem with central Florida drivers is many HAVE TO pass a cyclist IMMEDIATELY even if it is on a blind corner and over the double yellow.

Riders here tend to ride fast for about 40 miles. I think the heat and humidity discourage long rides. In facts, we are just about out of century season. No one sponsers a June, July or August century in Florida for obvious reasons.

The Florida Freewheelers post a fair number of maps of rides in central Florida. However, central Florida is not the only area. Inverness is on the Withalacoochie (sp?) trail and it seems to be a nice little town. The Florida Freewheelers have their Bicycle Safari up at Live Oak and Cherry Lake in north Florida every year. I ride that one. Oddly enough, the drivers up there are far more courteous than central Florida drivers. They will actually poke along behind a cyclist until the road clears.

You might think of coming down for the Mount Dora Bicycle Festival which is a three day event which will give you a fair bit of exposure to central Florida riding.

There are places on the east coast that might work for you. I believe real estate is reasonable in New Smyrna Beach and it is a nice town. Also Amelia Island is a very nice place.
Old 05-17-06, 09:18 AM
jens5

Bikes: Heron Wayfarer/ 2004 Giant Cypress SX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fort Myers?

I lived in Ft. Myers in the 80's and was VP of the area bike club (Caloosa riders) in 89. I'm sure it's changed a lot since I was there, but the cycling was great. One of my favorites was riding over the causeway to Sanabel Island then into Ding Darling wildlife sanctuary, then on to Captiva Island and back. Great riding. The big thing is the humidity. I've spken with folks from African countries who could not get over how humid it was in south FL. summer.

Richard
Old 05-17-06, 01:58 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
After four years in Florida, I came back to Mass. Where I belong. I think you have to grow up there to appreciate it.

My wife does still goes back to visit.

Spend an extended time there renting before you invest. Like any good bike buyer, tit first.
Old 05-17-06, 02:19 PM
Dockside97

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've wintered for the last two years in ST. Petersburg, Fl. on the west coast. I really like it for the winter but don't know about year round living. The price of homes have gone through the roof along with taxes and now b/c of the hurricanes insurance has gone through the roof. Florida is no longer a cheap place to live. Florida is becoming a state for the wealthy. Recenlty there were a series of articles in the st. pete times about how teachers, cops and firemen can no longer afford to live in Pinnellas County which encompasses St. petersburg. AS far as bike riding you take your life in your hands in florida due to the population and the age of the population. In Pinnelas county though you have the Pinnelas trail which is about 36 mi. long. It starts in st. petersburg and travels 36 mi. north to Dunedin. I've not ridden it yet but they tell me it is a nice ride. You also have the beautiful Ft. Desoto Park in Pinnelas County. It was rated recently the number #1 park in the country. You have the Gulf of Mexico on one side and Boca Ciega bay on the other side. It has bike riding trails also. Every time i"ve been there I've seen tons of people riding their bikes. they also rent bikes there. But living in that part of florida be ready to run when the hurricanes come. A lot of people are leaving florida for the carolinas b/c of the hurricanes. But for every person that leaves florida five more are moving into the state. Good luck wherever you end up.
Old 05-17-06, 03:17 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
reading these posts and Grass is Greener comes to mind. I know nothing about the area- but we do get news over here and one of the Big things is the Hurricane season, and the latest news is 3 people eaten by alligators. Then there are the English. I now know of 3 people that have second homes in Florida. Not one has offered to lend their home to me though. Back to the English. With all the attractions of the area and the Cheap flights- there seems to be a large tourist industry going on.

Then the main thing- the riding. Flat lands are not my cup of tea and with all the vehicles around- probably just as well. Then the weather- Mild but windy and wet winters and High humidity in the Summer. From my point of view- sounds like England. Except we don't have something trying to eat you, Hurricanes are rare, We do have all those British tourists though aswell as some hills to ride up.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-17-06, 03:22 PM
Jaxbike

Bikes: Klein MTB, Bike E recumbent, Giant TCX, Phat tandem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Consider North Florida

I'll add my two-cents about northeast Florida.

We don't have an abundance of retirees, in fact we have a relatively young population and very good new job formation rates.

We haven't been hit by a hurricane in over 40 years. Our home prices are still reasonable and taxes are low. We have an excellent airport and our roads are being expanded to meet the growing population needs.

We are the home of the Professional golf and tennis tours, and have a wide variety of recreational facilities. We have a broad river that goes down to Orlando and excellent beaches.

Like the other commentaries, our biking conditions are similiar to other north Florida communities. It is far safer than south Florida, but we lack hills and a network of little used secondary roads as found in the older parts of the country. We have so much water and many bridges are not bike friendly, limiting travel in certain directions. Our few bike clubs are not nearly as active and organized as those I found in Massachusetts and California, two places we've lived that have better biking conditions.

Take a look at the Jacksonville area, Florida's "First Coast"!
Old 05-17-06, 04:16 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by capejohn
After four years in Florida, I came back to Mass. Where I belong...
Hi capejohn!

The local joke is that a "Yankee" is someone who comes down here from the North. A "Damn Yankee" is someone who comes down here from the North - and stays!

To trackhub:

The Florida population is now a hodgepodge (witness the Gore-Bush election fiasco). The remainder of the South is now slowly (or not so) following suit. The demographic change is both a blessing and a curse. In any case, no matter where you're from, you'll find some other "homeboys" just about anywhere you go.

Best of luck to trackhub with your selection, and please post again letting us know where you settled, why, and how it's working out.
Old 05-17-06, 05:47 PM
Dakota

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX LeMond Alpe d'Huez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live 60 miles south of Tampa, just north of Sarasota. Florida is terrific for us. Living where other people pay to go on vacation is a definate advantage. Got a few days off? Go to Miami, or Key West, or Orlando, etc.

I just started riding six months ago, so I can't compare to other locations, but there are planty of places to ride, on and off road. We have few hills, so I find the big bridges and play on them for a workout. The local bike club, Sarasota Manatee Bicycle Club (smbc.us), has rides almost every day, and is a very social group.

In my experience,(about 10 years), the west coast is more midwest people, the east coast in more new england, but there is a healthy mix of both throughout the state.

If you want more specifics, drop me a line.

Bill
Old 05-17-06, 06:11 PM
Thrifty1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the "retire & move to Florida" from Washington (state) and lasted 2.5 years. I purchased a new home in Milton (NE of Pensacola) and could NEVER get used to the 95 to 98% humidity or mowing the grass 11 months of the year. The windows would "fog" on the outside due to cooler (air conditioned) interior and 95 degrees with 98% humidity outside. I had to spray my brick house with Clorox about once per month to kill the moss that would cover the bottom 4 feet of brick. Lightning storms were very frequent ( daily during the summer) and very deadly to homes/occupants.....mine was struck twice.....welded my chain link gate latch shut. After 2.5 years we researched the internet to determine where people were not relocating to. The winters in North Dakota are excessively long and not as easy to tolerate as anticipated. The cycling is second to none for topographical variety and lack of traffic in ND......but we will relocate upon selling our current home....probably to OK or North TX to be near relatives.
Please visit the FL Panhandle during the summer before jumping in and enduring adverse consequences/remorse.
Good Luck!
Old 05-18-06, 05:29 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
We live in the Sarasota area, 60 mi S of Tampa. Everything has been said about the weather, etc and if you don't like heat and humidity in the summer, don't move here. However, from Oct to about now the weather is perfect for cycling. We lived in Atlanta for 12 years and found it hotter than here - we at leats have a breeze near the Gulf coast.
There are a lot of bike paths, e.g Longboat Key/Anna Maria Is., Lakewood Ranch and Myakka State Park is not far away - not the place for Stapfam, as there are a lot of alligators, tho' not normally on the road. There is a great cycling community, which communicates very effectively by email, so we all know what is going on - what rides, etc. And as Dakota says, there's a group ride somewhere every day - for most abilities. See SMBC.org website, for example.

Sarasota is a cultural center if that's of interest, with theater, ballet, playhouse etc and there are many restaurants to suit all tastes and pocket books.

In the winter season there is more traffic- but not high speed, but the snow birds are now leaving, so it's safer.
By the way, there is no state income tax in FL, but house prices have risen dramatically here in the past few years and property taxes are approx 1.5% assessed value.
As someone mentioned, rent a place, find a realtor and spend some time looking around.
PM me if you need more info.
Old 05-18-06, 05:43 AM
LilSprocket
Wheee

Bikes: Schwinn Rocket 88 phase 1/ Surly 1x1/Cannondale R700 WSD 650c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DON'T DO IT!!!!
I've been here for the most part of 25 years, have traveled around the US a bunch...
I'd rather be in western NC... may be next year
Old 05-18-06, 06:08 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Hi Stapfam. I know both sides of the pond as I'm from over there and shall be in the B-ton area for 3 months from the end of May. All I can say is that you should give Florida a try. I love visiting the UK but would never want to go back to live there - mainly because of the weather, but it's also so crowded, the traffic is terrible, parking is a chore, taxation is horrendous, people are not friendly/sociable and there's litter everywhere.
I cycle there along the coast road and inland which makes a big change from the flatlands of Florida, but it's not very cyclist friendly, unlike here. At least you can get away from the traffic here without having to resort to muddy trails

Last edited by Artmo; 05-18-06 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-18-06, 11:27 AM
madli
Steel Cyclist

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Zanotti Cyclocross, Jamis Coda Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "Sunshine" state has been covered well so far. Positives: year-round cycling, some nice bike trails, beaches to unwind. Negatives: Stay off highways, unless it's an organized ride. Clueless State gov't. Astronomical home insurance (if you can find an insurer!). Guess it depends on your priorities whether the weather here tips the scales for you.

madli
Old 05-18-06, 01:20 PM
Artmo 

Originally Posted by madli
The "Sunshine" state has been covered well so far. Positives: year-round cycling, some nice bike trails, beaches to unwind. Negatives: Stay off highways, unless it's an organized ride. Clueless State gov't. Astronomical home insurance (if you can find an insurer!). Guess it depends on your priorities whether the weather here tips the scales for you.

madli
I just read in the Sarasota Tribune an article covering last evening's Ride of Silence (250 riders) that FL has 3X the national average of cycling related deaths. I'm not surprised - most drivers never use their blinkers, many can not see over the steering wheel and like a majority of US drivers they are paying attention to something else other than driving, e.g. cell phone, admiring self in rear-view mirror, looking for something on the floor while moving, reading, fiddling with radio, etc, etc - but I've ranted about this before and it won't change a thing until people are made to realize that they are in charge of a potentially lethal weapon. Interestingly, the number of deaths from motoring accidents per annum is roughly the same as deaths from gunshots; ca.40,000 and in both cases, many, many times that in other countries as measured on a per capita of population basis.

On the other hand, you see many stupid cyclists who, e.g. ride against the traffic, don't stop at stop signs/red lights, don't look behind before passing, e.g in a paceline, don't use lights at night, don't wear crash helmets, don't wear brightly-colored clothing and so on.
End of rant.
Other than the above, FL is a great place to live, especially Sarasota area, but don't tell too many people
Old 05-18-06, 06:41 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thank you to all! This is very good information. I won't be going anywhere for a few years, but I'm checking out new locales in warm climates, trying to get as much info as possible. Another area on my mind is Southern Utah. Again, I'm a warm weather person.

For what it's worth: MA has just had some of the most drenching rain ever. It started last Friday, and did not let up until late tuesday. How much rain? Nineteen inches in some areas. No high winds, just rain and lots of it. Damages: A lot of homes in the Peabody and Lawrence areas are ruined, because water containing raw sewage backed up into them. One guy on TV said it back flowed up through his toilet "like a fountain". Yep, economists are already saying that home insurance prices are going to skyrocket.

Digital Gee, I was thinking maybe a Buick Electra, or one of the old Buick Wildcats. You know, one of the ones that's the approximate size of the U.S.S. Nimitz, and are driven by either very little old ladies with "Q-Tip Hair", or old men with hats and bad ties.
Old 05-18-06, 08:36 PM
LastPlace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moving..........

trackhub,

Not to get off on a tangent....but to get off on a tangent....the largest influx
of people in South Carolina are people coming in from Florida, and the reasons
given are to escape the storms and rising property values.

As always,
LastPlace
Old 05-19-06, 08:43 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Artmo
I just read in the Sarasota Tribune an article covering last evening's Ride of Silence (250 riders) that FL has 3X the national average of cycling related deaths. I'm not surprised - most drivers never use their blinkers, many can not see over the steering wheel and like a majority of US drivers they are paying attention to something else other than driving, e.g. cell phone, admiring self in rear-view mirror, looking for something on the floor while moving, reading, fiddling with radio, etc, etc - but I've ranted about this before and it won't change a thing until people are made to realize that they are in charge of a potentially lethal weapon. Interestingly, the number of deaths from motoring accidents per annum is roughly the same as deaths from gunshots; ca.40,000 and in both cases, many, many times that in other countries as measured on a per capita of population basis.

On the other hand, you see many stupid cyclists who, e.g. ride against the traffic, don't stop at stop signs/red lights, don't look behind before passing, e.g in a paceline, don't use lights at night, don't wear crash helmets, don't wear brightly-colored clothing and so on.
End of rant.
Other than the above, FL is a great place to live, especially Sarasota area, but don't tell too many people
Well, Florida's high cyclist fatality rate is a bit misleading. We have a large number of pedestrians on bicycles here. Many of them ride at night without lights, wearing dark clothing while intoxicated (they lost their drivers licenses for DUI). Most of the cycling fatalities seem to be riders who have little or no bicycling savy.

However, here in Central Florida we have the nation's highest pedestrian fatality rate. It is like having two Washington DC snipers in action constantly! But because the carnage is done by different people, it is not noticed. Some of the causes are lacks of sidewalks, very few pedestrian crossings, changes in speed limits on major roads and stretches that are not lit. Also Florida drivers are very reluctant to yield the right of way to pedestrians in crosswalks. This encourages pedestrians to jay walk rather than hike half a mile to a pedestrian crossing which the drivers ignore anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.