Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Stack and Reach question.

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-16, 07:30 PM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

I just found out about and read up on Stack and Reach. So I measure my 3 road bikes to compare.

Bike 1 Stack = 61.1cm, Reach = 39.4cm
Bike 2 Stack = 58.5cm, Reach = 37.5cm
Bike 3 Stack = 55.0cm, Reach = 40cm

I find all 3 bikes comfortable, and all 3 are set up with same seat height, handlebar to seat tube, etc.

Are these differences a big difference?
Should all 3 feel comfortable?
Which is more important, Stack or Reach? or are they just 2 more measurements to help you find the right size bike?

Bike 1 is a 2016 Cannondale Synapse, size 58
Bike 2 is a 1984 Trek 720 size 22.5 inch
Bike 3 is a 2000 Mercier Aquilla, size 58

Last edited by Bolo Grubb; 07-29-16 at 09:50 PM. Reason: typo on Bike 1 measurements, should be correct now
Old 07-29-16, 07:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
First of all, you're the victim of the "I just measured something, and things are off" plague. I hear variations on this theme every time someone starts measuring stuff for the 1st time.

That said, 17cm difference in reach seems like an awful lot, so I'd make sure I measured bike 1 correctly. 2-3cm difference isn't rare and is easily enough made up with the stem. Likewise, the various head tube stack heights can be made up with spacers and stem angle.

IMO- frame dimensions are the coarse adjustment which gets you to the right ballpark, then fit is fine tuned with adjustments to the saddle position and changes to stem length, angle and spacer stack.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-29-16, 09:53 PM
Bolo Grubb

Originally Posted by FBinNY

That said, 17cm difference in reach seems like an awful lot
Typo on Bike 1, I copied down the number wrong. All 3 bikes are within 3 cm of each other.
Old 07-29-16, 10:08 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by Bolo Grubb
Typo on Bike 1, I copied down the number wrong. All 3 bikes are within 3 cm of each other.
All within a tight band that can be fine tuned to the same fit if that's your goal.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-29-16, 10:16 PM
Bolo Grubb

and I have them pretty well fined tuned now. The only real difference between them all is the handlebars sit higher on the cannondale giving me a more upright position that I am pretty comfortable with.

I guess I was expecting the stack to be closer then it is, but so far I am comfortable on all of them. The Cannondale does have a much longer head tube then the other two. It puts the handlebar at the same level as the saddle, on the other 2 bikes the handlebar is slightly lower then the saddle.