Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

NOS Vintage Tubular Tires / Tire Sealant

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-24, 10:53 AM
stevenofqueens

Bikes: 1986 Pinarello Treviso, 1986 Pinarello Record, 1988 Pinarello Montello, 2012 Specialized Venge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have a set of NOS Vittoria Corsa CX tires that I mounted strictly for display purposes. They hold air for about a week then they go basically flat. While I don't ride these tires I would like to maintain and keep them from cracking. The bike sits on the tires every day so keeping them inflated is important. What are anyone's thoughts on Vittoria's Pit Stop Road Racing tire repair? Will it help seal the tube and sort of keep them from drying out? Does the sealant eventually dry out? Wondering if its basically a short term fix instead of a solid solution for the long term. Any other recommendations? Thank you
Old 02-15-24, 11:32 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 267 Posts
Those CX's use latex tubes; hence, the escaping air. Sealant will only make a mess of things.
I own one 80's NOS CX in my collection, storing it in a closet. Very nice riding tubulars and worth preserving.
Occasionally, it gets inflated along with some vintage Clement Criteriums, but none show signs of degradation after all these years.
The only advice I can render is to remove your tires and store in a cool, dark closet.
Put some el cheapo tubulars on there and inflate every couple months. You're welcome.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 02-15-24, 11:41 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22609 Post(s)
Liked 8,932 Times in 4,164 Posts
Originally Posted by stevenofqueens
I have a set of NOS Vittoria Corsa CX tires that I mounted strictly for display purposes. They hold air for about a week then they go basically flat. While I don't ride these tires I would like to maintain and keep them from cracking. The bike sits on the tires every day so keeping them inflated is important. What are anyone's thoughts on Vittoria's Pit Stop Road Racing tire repair? Will it help seal the tube and sort of keep them from drying out? Does the sealant eventually dry out? Wondering if its basically a short term fix instead of a solid solution for the long term. Any other recommendations? Thank you
If the bike is purely for "display" it may make more sense to suspend it from the ceiling or mount on a wall with some hooks. Otherwise you are going to keep losing air as above, due to latex tubes.
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-15-24, 12:39 PM
stevenofqueens

Bikes: 1986 Pinarello Treviso, 1986 Pinarello Record, 1988 Pinarello Montello, 2012 Specialized Venge

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Those CX's use latex tubes; hence, the escaping air. Sealant will only make a mess of things.
I own one 80's NOS CX in my collection, storing it in a closet. Very nice riding tubulars and worth preserving.
Occasionally, it gets inflated along with some vintage Clement Criteriums, but none show signs of degradation after all these years.
The only advice I can render is to remove your tires and store in a cool, dark closet.
Put some el cheapo tubulars on there and inflate every couple months. You're welcome.
I appreciate the feedback and info on the tires. I actually have thought about displaying the bike on modern tubular tires and store the originals. Not a bad suggestion. I have wondered if the sealant is just a messy option that I would regret.
Old 02-15-24, 12:42 PM
stevenofqueens

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
If the bike is purely for "display" it may make more sense to suspend it from the ceiling or mount on a wall with some hooks. Otherwise you are going to keep losing air as above, due to latex tubes.
Yeah, thought of that but based on my limited wall space, the standing display works best as I have several vintage bikes that I display. I'm more curious about the sealant and if its a good option to help seal and preserve old tubular tires.
Old 02-15-24, 12:43 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22609 Post(s)
Liked 8,932 Times in 4,164 Posts
Originally Posted by stevenofqueens
Yeah, thought of that but based on my limited wall space, the standing display works best as I have several vintage bikes that I display. I'm more curious about the sealant and if its a good option to help seal and preserve old tubular tires.
Understood. Your question is a good one, but as above it's not really going to help the cause.
Old 02-15-24, 01:20 PM
stevenofqueens

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Understood. Your question is a good one, but as above it's not really going to help the cause.
The key is keeping the tubulars inflated, even if the bikes are standing, the tires will hold up. Thank you for the feedback.