Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

trails.com

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

trails.com

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-06, 06:37 PM
Chino Nacino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
trails.com

Hey all, looking for campsites and/or hotels along a route I'm planning and I was wondering if Trails.com was any good for this sort of thing. I'd sign up for the 14day free trial, but I'm leery of putting my credit card number down on something that's supposed to be free. . . so, anyone use this website? and is it worth $50?
thanks
Old 05-15-06, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Haven't used it, but be leery- cause you'll forget after a while, and then whammo! You get these bills on your credit card a year later, and you're not using it anymore. So be careful.

Or you can just get a book on the different campgrounds and stuff from borders.com.

Koffee

Old 05-15-06, 11:02 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You can use something like expedia.com to look up major hotels for free. Small town hotels aren't always in the expedia database though. You can use google maps, yahoo maps, or yahoo yellow pages to look up hotels and commercial campgrounds. For campsites, try state park web sites, national park web sites, recreation.gov, one of the many RV campground search sites, US Corps of Engineers web site, National Forest web site, etc. Lots of free resources out there.

Most small towns have web sites with local business listings. Local hotels and campgrounds should be listed. You can do a search for "bed and breakfast" and the town or state and get lists of those accomodations.

All the above provide free information. If you don't mind doing one the Adventure Cycling routes, they have excellent maps with accomodations along the route identified. Adventure Cycling maps are not free, but have the info you want IF you take one of their maintained routes.

Trails.com may be a fine website, but I believe it is oriented more around hiking and MTB trails than bike touring resources.
Old 05-16-06, 08:45 AM
lala
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with supcom. I did the 14 day trial, then canceled. They they offered by the $50 subscription for $ 25. So I purchased it. I do a lot of hiking and mtbing. However, the sources of the entries are basically other print publications and may not be so recent.
Old 05-16-06, 06:30 PM
Rogerinchrist

Bikes: TREK-520 & 830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In addition to the other suggestions........
Try the local library or bookstore with the same questions. Your likely to come across books in the RV & Travel sections that have many website addresses printed in them too.
Old 05-17-06, 06:04 AM
Travelinguyrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Barnes and Noble have the best Campground directory, everyone in the USA listed and described