Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Does size matter?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Does size matter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-14, 02:41 PM
bobframe

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist, Giant TCR Advanced, Co-Motion Americano Co-Pilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does size matter?

I am outfitting a touring bike and am close to the pedal decision point. Given my shoe choice (Shimano M162L Mountain Bike shoe), it will be a two hole/SPD/Crank Bros choice. At this point I am indifferent to the cleat/pedal and am "sizing up" the pedal options.

My road bike history is hot-spots with Speedplays at 80miles...but excellent experience (cross country in '07) with Look Keo's.

Here's my question: Does the size of the pedal make a difference? Assuming the soles of the shoes actually make contact with the pedal, this could mean that a larger pedal distributes pedaling force over a wider pedal surface area...a good thing, I think...should minimze my hot spots.

Any insights on whether most mountain bike shoes will actually make contact with these pedals outside of area in which the cleat engages the pedal??

My research into MB pedals tells me that some have relatively small platforms (like Speedplay or Eggbeaters) and others (such as Crank Bros. Candy or many of the Shimano MB pedals) have much larger platforms. Can I infer that the bigger pedals will be more comfortable?

If so, what's the trade off?

Thank you!

Bob

Last edited by bobframe; 06-30-14 at 05:10 AM.
Old 06-29-14, 02:59 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
To some extent the stiffness of the sole will affect that. If the sole of the shoe is very stiff, the pedal size will matter a lot less. So I go with stiff soled shoes and small SPD pedals. That may or may not work for you but might be something to consider.
Old 06-29-14, 04:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I got most comfortable for my really long tours, by leaving the clipless pedals off ..
toe clip and strap pedals
then my shoes with a loose fit worked well..

shoes for the performance oriented fit tight, its required,
so your feet dont pull out of your shoes..

Obviously YMMV..

Better.. Blood flow and no nerve compression .. I found my favorite insoles,too ..

4 month tour NL to BE, F, UK , N,DK,PL,CZ, As, DE, F, BE. & NL..

9 month tour SW Ireland To NE Scotland

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-30-14 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-29-14, 09:47 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Bob, I wear a semi flexible mountain bike shoe with some Richey SPD style mountain bike pedals (Similar to Shimano.) because of the walking tourista moments. I have some very stiff soled road shoes which are very good for riding, but less than ideal for walking.

My back up touring bike has platforms. They're the first non SPD pedals for me in the last twenty years and keeping in mind it's a recent build with few miles under me, a platform pedal can also work with a touring bike. They do feel a little strange right now.

Brad
Old 06-30-14, 08:44 AM
bobframe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I managed to get hotspots with carbon fiber road shoes and Speedplay pedals...stiff sole + small pedal= hot spots (for me). No need for me to re-test this theory.

I think I want an SPD or Crank Bros. clipless pedal which offers the greatest contact area with my (pretty stiff) Shimano MTB shoe.

As I look at pedals, the designs all have a central "cleat engagement device" (either SPD or Crank Bros.) and this is usually surrounded by a more traditional pedal mechanism. What I don't understand is how much of the MTB shoe's sole (other than the cleat) will actually engage with this pedal mechanism and thereby transmit pedaling force to the cranks. Or, does all of the pedaling force transmit through the cleat/pedal interface?

Said another way...all these Shimano SPD pedals (just to pick one manufacturer)have very different pedal designs, other than the SPD part itself. Why bother?

Last edited by bobframe; 06-30-14 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-30-14, 09:28 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
I use Look Quartz MTB pedals, which are discontinued but can be had for a steal at Nashbar. With this pedal, you shim the cleat to a depth that lets the shoe rubber engage the plastic or carbon sides of the pedal. I have never had any hot spot issues, and have seen shoe rubber wear out at about similar timing to the cleat, so I know that the rubber is engaged. I have used them with Specialized MTB shoes, LG shoes, and Northwave shoes, and through use of the included shims, have been able to get identical fit every time.
Old 06-30-14, 09:53 AM
bobframe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
I use Look Quartz MTB pedals, which are discontinued but can be had for a steal at Nashbar. With this pedal, you shim the cleat to a depth that lets the shoe rubber engage the plastic or carbon sides of the pedal. I have never had any hot spot issues, and have seen shoe rubber wear out at about similar timing to the cleat, so I know that the rubber is engaged. I have used them with Specialized MTB shoes, LG shoes, and Northwave shoes, and through use of the included shims, have been able to get identical fit every time.
This is helpful and directly addresses my question. Thanks.