Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The fragility of CF frames

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The fragility of CF frames

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 08:51 PM
bmw5nkj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all carbon owners click this link!
https://www.bustedcarbon.com/
Old 07-12-09, 09:32 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by KiddSisko
Shades of the R-Sys issue. Do we have all the facts? How heavy is that Trek owner? Did he do something prior (on another ride, or even off the bike) to weaken it? Got a history of being rough with his gear?
See, that's the thing: Short of doing Non-Destructive Inspection every time your CF bike falls over, you don't really know, do you?

Originally Posted by Scooper
There should be no question about properly designed, layed up, and cured carbon fiber composite structures having a very high strength-to-weight ratio. I think it's the failure mode when the structure does fail that's scary.
Amen.

Originally Posted by patentcad
It's worth it. Nothing beats CF in the performance dept.

You don't see any pros on anything else these days do you? Let that be your guide.
But... I don't demand the same thing out of my bike as the pros, and the pros don't demand the same thing out of the bike that I do. Totally different set of design parameters. That's like saying that, if I was commuting in a car, I should be using an open-wheel Formula 1 racer. That is just..... dumb.

What's your alternative? Aluminum? No thanks. Steel? No thanks. Ti? Pricey, heavier, but virtually indestructible, great feel.

CF is the ticket boys. Read it and weep. And try not to crash.
I crashed a 24-year-old steel bike last year. Roughed it up pretty good- front wheel was pushed back to the downtube; downtube itself was buckled; the top tube was visibly stretched. I knew what the damage was though. I bent the fork back to straight and rode the bike as it was for another six months till I got something different. If it was CF it would have either splintered and been totally useless, or looked okay but without a thorough NDI I wouldn't know if the frame's integrity was intact. Bottom line is that if I had crashed a CF frame that badly, I wouldn't have ridden it ever again. The steel frame, while obviously compromised, was good for another six months of use (and is probably still pretty safe).

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-12-09, 09:58 PM
KiddSisko
Has coddling tendencies.

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Originally Posted by KiddSisko
Shades of the R-Sys issue. Do we have all the facts? How heavy is that Trek owner? Did he do something prior (on another ride, or even off the bike) to weaken it? Got a history of being rough with his gear?
See, that's the thing: Short of doing Non-Destructive Inspection every time your CF bike falls over, you don't really know, do you?
So you're content to assume his CF frame failed simply because it exploded (as designed) because of some minor impact during a race? I'm not. I want all the facts. And I'm not wringing my hands until I get the facts either. I'm also not going to be racing any time soon with my CF frame bike, so my chances of hand wringing is even less.
Old 07-12-09, 10:21 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Kind of a moot point, since I don't wring my hands; I ride steel.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-13-09, 12:07 AM
shaun3000

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
I am sure all you NY riders remember the Airbus that crashed in Queens a few years back. CF tail came apart. CF is great when you are moving in the designed fashion. Add a side load or an impact and she comes apart pretty good.
The tail failed because it was stressed beyond its design limits. It was a combination of poor design and poor training. (Briefly: Pilots are taught that below a certain speed (maneuvering speed) you can basically do anything to the airplane without worrying about breaking it. Airbus designed the rudder to withstand a full deflection in one direction and recenter, not full one way and then full the other, which is not what pilots were taught)
Old 07-13-09, 01:06 AM
spinerguy

Bikes: Litespeed Teramo, Argon 18 Road, Fuji Mt Fuji Pro MTB, Fuji Track Pro FG, & Cannondale Quick CX Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I know it that I can cut my Cf steerer with a electric hand held small tooth saw (the kind you'd use on thin plywood) and cuts trough like butter.
If you try to cut an alu (let alone steel) you would just get a strong kick back every time the blade kiss the tube.

It used to mean that a *stronger* material was also harder but apparently (and surprisingly) can also be softer *at the same time*.

For the record I am not a CF hater, own a CF bike, a Litespeed Ti and a high end alu but I'm really taking all these *20x stronger than steel* BS with a grain of salt.
Old 07-13-09, 04:26 AM
swifty
commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by UGASkiDawg
That's beside the point....arrows used to be made of aluminum....some still are but no serious shooter uses them because carbon arrows are lighter, stronger and perform better in almost all normal arrow applications.
Sorry, not true. For outside shooting 3d, FITA, hunting) carbon is the standard, but for indoor spots (e.g. Vegas, 18m, 25m) aluminum is the choice of the competitive archer to gain maximum diameter for line cutting ability and maximum arrow weight for added inertia. Different material choices for different applications.

Yes, I'm an archer too
Old 07-13-09, 07:23 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
my frame material's dad can beat up your frame material's dad
Old 07-13-09, 07:26 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie

Amen.

But... I don't demand the same thing out of my bike as the pros, and the pros don't demand the same thing out of the bike that I do. Totally different set of design parameters. That's like saying that, if I was commuting in a car, I should be using an open-wheel Formula 1 racer. That is just..... dumb.

I crashed a 24-year-old steel bike last year. Roughed it up pretty good- front wheel was pushed back to the downtube; downtube itself was buckled; the top tube was visibly stretched. I knew what the damage was though. I bent the fork back to straight and rode the bike as it was for another six months till I got something different. If it was CF it would have either splintered and been totally useless, or looked okay but without a thorough NDI I wouldn't know if the frame's integrity was intact. Bottom line is that if I had crashed a CF frame that badly, I wouldn't have ridden it ever again. The steel frame, while obviously compromised, was good for another six months of use (and is probably still pretty safe).
I tried getting through this rant, but I went into a major Fred Seizure. That's where you walk zombie-like over to your road bike with your bike shoes on, clip into the pedals, and keel over in your garage.
Old 07-13-09, 08:24 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by spinerguy
but I'm really taking all these *20x stronger than steel* BS with a grain of salt.
I addressed that at length back on page 2 of this thread. If you read it, your grain of salt is right there.
Old 07-13-09, 09:31 AM
merckx_rider
OUTLAW BIKER

Bikes: Eddy Merckx team 7-11 Corsa Extra Full Dura Ace, 2015 Equalizer Electric Fat Tire Bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just saw how they make the madone on one of those how they do it shows on discovery channel....
bake at 190 degrees F... I guess you might not want to leave it in the sun for too long or it'll melt LOL
Old 07-13-09, 09:40 AM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess the lesson is, don't race what you can't live with crashing.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 07-13-09, 01:02 PM
swalburn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll chime in. I have Ti Lynskey level 3 frame that is outstanding. It is the best frame I've ever ridden. It is light enough, stiff enough and durable. I long to have a carbon frame and am constantly looking. I believe carbon offers the most pure performance. At certain weights it is the stiffer than all other materials. The flip side is that I race and have had two huge crashes in the last year. I have two big scratches in my top tube. The bike is fine, and I continue to ride it. My LBS has been trying to get me on a Trek madone for a while, but acknowledged that I would be on my 3rd frame if I had those crashes on carbon. I'm still thinking about get a carbon frame to race but keeping the Ti one as well. I don't think there is a perfect frame material. I think Ti is probably the best of all worlds.
Old 07-13-09, 01:48 PM
bigtea

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
Well, from looking at some of the crashes in the pro peloton, you would think carbon fiber is the Ultimate Indestructible Material. Everything fails at some point I guess..............
I don't think CF is the Ultimate Indestructible Material, I think it is the ultimate disposable material.

The crashes in the pro peloton are mopped up by mechanics in cars with spare bikes on the roof. And the bikes are ridden by people who are paid to do so.
Old 07-13-09, 01:57 PM
hammond9705

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by bmw5nkj
all carbon owners click this link!
https://www.bustedcarbon.com/

I hate that site. Every time I look at it it reminds me of something else that might happen
Old 07-13-09, 02:18 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by merckx_rider
just saw how they make the madone on one of those how they do it shows on discovery channel....
bake at 190 degrees F... I guess you might not want to leave it in the sun for too long or it'll melt LOL
incorrect. The epoxy is cross linked. It doesn't melt. It'll degrade as you get it hotter, meaning if you sit it out at 190F for a while, it'll get dry and start cracking, and if you get it very hot, it'll burn, but it won't melt.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 07-13-09, 02:38 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
What do you suppose would have happened if it were aluminum? Any frame gets damaged in that situation.
Old 07-13-09, 03:20 PM
pedalhard

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
It's worth it. Nothing beats CF in the performance dept.

You don't see any pros on anything else these days do you? Let that be your guide.
I have said it once and now I will say it again what does what the pro use or do have to do with the sort of riding or training that 90% of people on this form do. The pro's ride what they are payed to ride so bike companies can sell us bikes and then afford to pay the pro's to ride them. Most pro's I have met really are not that intrested in the whole which bike I ride thing it's what's free or to start what they can afford until they get a sponsor.

Old 07-13-09, 03:26 PM
Rustyoldbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pros ride carbon because they get their bikes for free. If bikes were free, even first graders would be riding on carbon bikes. Saying "pros do it, so it must be the best" translates into EPO being "healthy" and cocaine being "fun" (according to Boonen).

Most BMX riders do NOT get "free" bikes...even some well know BMX riders must pay for their bikes out of their own pocket...and the guys paying out of their own pocket often select a bike with a steel fork and a steel frame. But, if carbon BMX bikes were "free", of course, everyone would be riding one.
Old 07-13-09, 03:58 PM
logdrum
Headset-press carrier

Bikes: Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much goes into the cost of manufacturing carbon bikes or rather the carbon tubes?
Old 07-13-09, 04:22 PM
Flash
Are you with me

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL, Blue T-14 TT bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which companies have the best crash replacement policies for CF frames
Old 07-13-09, 04:37 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I don't get all the bluster about CF. When I'm not riding my bike, I use mine as a hammer. I can drive some pretty big nails with it. I also run over it with the car now and then and no issues at all. I don't think all CF is created equal however. Trek I understand is in the middle of the gene pool for impact resistance. Sadly I hear that Cervelos crack if you look at them funny unless you use the cables to wire them together.
Old 07-13-09, 04:39 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by logdrum
How much goes into the cost of manufacturing carbon bikes or rather the carbon tubes?
Very little. A little known fact is...most of the profit in CF is eroded by charitable contributions.
Old 07-13-09, 05:02 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
incorrect. The epoxy is cross linked. It doesn't melt. It'll degrade as you get it hotter, meaning if you sit it out at 190F for a while, it'll get dry and start cracking, and if you get it very hot, it'll burn, but it won't melt.
thanks, thats what i wanted to know