Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The fragility of CF frames

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 04:54 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

...is amazing at times. Yesterday in Prospect Park (circuit race in Brooklyn NY), I'm carrying my Cervelo back to the car (I had punctured with 3 laps to go and didn't want to ride the flat tire on my Zipp any further). I see another guy doing this with a new Trek Madone. His rear chain stay was cracked. How did this occur I ask.

He's riding up the 3-4% Col du Prospect in the 5 race, maybe going 18 mph (or whatever speed they go over that rise at) and a guy behind him runs into the back of his Trek. So how fast was that impact? 2-3 mph? They were going in the same direction on an upgrade. Neither of them fell over. His wheel starts rubbing. His chain stay is cracked.

CF is certainly the best frame material from a performance standpoint, but it sure breaks when you crash it. Even when you bump it sometimes.

He was bummed. His bike was only six months old, beautiful ride. I wonder what Trek's crash replacement program is.
Old 07-12-09, 05:09 AM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
it is great stuff until/if it fails.
Old 07-12-09, 05:16 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just because he said it went a certain way doesn't mean it actually did. He might have squeezed the brakes at the wrong time. The chainstay might have already been weakened from a previous impact.
Old 07-12-09, 05:22 AM
lung
Ass Hatchet

Bikes: Felt FC custom | SRAM Force/Red mix.| RS80 Wheels | 3T Cockpit & Post.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my CF bike. But if/when it dies... I will go back to titanium. I never had to worry about it... and an hour with a scotch brite pad makes it look like new. But for now... my carbon frame is amazing.
Old 07-12-09, 07:51 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I've owned two Colnago and four LOOK carbon frames since 2000. I've been down six times while riding these frames, including two car/bike accidents and none of the crashes caused any damage to the frames. My 2004 LOOK KG461 has been through two slideouts and one car/bike accident - all without a scratch on the frame.
Old 07-12-09, 08:00 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
You blasphemous heathen . . . how DARE you cast dispersion on the almighty, great, indestructible carbon fiber!!!!!

Don't you realize that any and every other bike material is JUST as fragile?? How do I know? Well, a bunch of guys around here have been saying that for years, no?
Old 07-12-09, 08:21 AM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
Just because he said it went a certain way doesn't mean it actually did. He might have squeezed the brakes at the wrong time. The chainstay might have already been weakened from a previous impact.
Not sure what that means. That he touched the brakes and caused the impact? Or that touching the brakes put stress on the frame, causing the crack?

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 07-12-09, 08:30 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
A climbing situation probably represents the highest compression load on the chainstays. They simply weren't designed for the combination of loads (additional impact load). I think this is more of a problem with buyer expectation than design. Maybe titanium is a better frame material at some price, but racers and others driven to high performance/low weight will still cause frame manufacturers to design out the margin that enables these frames to survive these mishaps.
Old 07-12-09, 08:33 AM
Matt Gaunt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A friend and I recently did some fairly unscientific strength tests on some CF tubing he had lying around. Essentially, vicing it up at various points and either leveraging it or just crushing it with the vice to destruction.

It is amazingly strong in some directions and fairly unimpressive in others. Even so, from the guy with the Trek's story, I would say something else must have contributed to that failure other than the 2-3mph impact described by Pcad.
Old 07-12-09, 08:35 AM
FlashUNC

Bikes: 2000 Trek 5200, 2007 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does this story dovetail with your theory that everything breaks, pcad?
Old 07-12-09, 08:48 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SpongeDad
Not sure what that means. That he touched the brakes and caused the impact? Or that touching the brakes put stress on the frame, causing the crack?

By squeezing the brakes at the wrong time he could have set up a situation where the impact speed was far greater than just 2 MPH. Having been behind someone on a climb who locked up his brakes (bringing both of us down) I can say that sometimes people freak out and really brake hard. He may not "remember" it that way.
Old 07-12-09, 08:56 AM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lung
I love my CF bike. But if/when it dies... I will go back to titanium.
The Force is strong with this one...
Old 07-12-09, 09:00 AM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
...is amazing at times. Yesterday in Prospect Park (circuit race in Brooklyn NY), I'm carrying my Cervelo back to the car (I had punctured with 3 laps to go and didn't want to ride the flat tire on my Zipp any further). I see another guy doing this with a new Trek Madone. His rear chain stay was cracked. How did this occur I ask.

He's riding up the 3-4% Col du Prospect in the 5 race, maybe going 18 mph (or whatever speed they go over that rise at) and a guy behind him runs into the back of his Trek. So how fast was that impact? 2-3 mph? They were going in the same direction on an upgrade. Neither of them fell over. His wheel starts rubbing. His chain stay is cracked.

CF is certainly the best frame material from a performance standpoint, but it sure breaks when you crash it. Even when you bump it sometimes.

He was bummed. His bike was only six months old, beautiful ride. I wonder what Trek's crash replacement program is.
Please elaborate. I am very curious.

Buy your bike parts here
Old 07-12-09, 09:09 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I am sure all you NY riders remember the Airbus that crashed in Queens a few years back. CF tail came apart. CF is great when you are moving in the designed fashion. Add a side load or an impact and she comes apart pretty good.
Old 07-12-09, 10:27 AM
Fixitman
Fear no hill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
La la la la la la la la Just bought a full carbon bike .. not listining.
Old 07-12-09, 10:53 AM
rc51crazy

Bikes: Dreesens, Colnago clx 3.0, Trek X-Caliber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm following this discussion closely..considering a new bike purchase ( the ol' steel steed is getting old) and can't decide between the Ti or CF frames. So i'm reading as much as i can on both, to help make my decision ... soooo.. carry on
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by Fixitman
Frunkin
nom nom nom

Bikes: Lemond Tete de Course, Slingshot DDX, Fuji Track Pro, Surly Steamroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen so many carbon bikes crashed, and immediately hopped back on without a second thought that I'm really not too worried about it. When you watch the way some people treat and race their bikes, you realize that a lot of people buy into the "carbon explosion" wayy too much.
Old 07-12-09, 11:02 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, from looking at some of the crashes in the pro peloton, you would think carbon fiber is the Ultimate Indestructible Material. Everything fails at some point I guess..............
Old 07-12-09, 11:03 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
By squeezing the brakes at the wrong time he could have set up a situation where the impact speed was far greater than just 2 MPH. Having been behind someone on a climb who locked up his brakes (bringing both of us down) I can say that sometimes people freak out and really brake hard. He may not "remember" it that way.
Oh stop Grumpy.
Old 07-12-09, 11:05 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
A climbing situation probably represents the highest compression load on the chainstays. They simply weren't designed for the combination of loads (additional impact load). I think this is more of a problem with buyer expectation than design.
I'm an engineer, and a product should be designed for the way it will be used. If it is to be used for racing, and a little bumping is not unheard of, it should be designed for that exact combination of loads.

DESIGN FAIL.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-12-09, 11:13 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by Fixitman
It's worth it. Nothing beats CF in the performance dept.

You don't see any pros on anything else these days do you? Let that be your guide.
Old 07-12-09, 11:14 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Jynx
When the directions of loads are known with a good amount of certainty, carbon fiber excels because the carbon fibers can be arranged to handle the loads in those directions and the composite material (carbon fibers plus resin matrix) can be tailored to the loads. By their very nature, composite materials are orthotropic- tailored to take loads in certain directions, as opposed to isotropic- having the same mechanical properties in all directions.

So if you used a composite bike for a spin bike, it would last forever, because the loading would be very uniform and predictable. But out in the real world, you don't have that kind of control on how, exactly, your CF bike frame will be mechanically loaded.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-12-09, 11:15 AM
mtnroadie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am also an archer. I shoot carbon arrows at nearly 300fps, often hitting one with another, and seldom ever break one. I can't believe that the carbon fiber bikes are any weaker.
Old 07-12-09, 11:21 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jynx
Lightest, stiffest material you can find to build bike frames out of. Name any metal bike and I'll name a CF bike that is both stiffer and lighter.

Originally Posted by Doohickie
DESIGN FAIL.
Everything is built for a purpose. If you want an indestructible race bike, go with my steel, 21lb crit bike I have built up. If you want the lightest climbing bike, then you will have to deal with the fact it's not going to take crashing very well. It is a marketing fail if anything. The engineers did their job.

Besides, it's likely that this story isn't complete.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.