Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Knees don't bisect top tube

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-19, 05:20 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts

(OK, bisect may not be the right word) If I measure the distance from my right knee to the top tube, I get about an inch or so; the same measurement on the left is more than 3 inches. I just noticed this- I imagine I have 100K miles over the last 25 yrs. I dont have any fit problems. Should I care?
Old 08-07-19, 06:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Hmmm...

I have enough pants rub on the top tube... I hope my knees don't bisect it!!!!

But, if you're happy with the fit of your bike, then you don't have to make everyone else happy.

A smaller frame allows you to set the bars lower. But, that may not make any difference to you. Also, there seems to be a move from riding in the drops to riding on the hoods (and lowering the bars to compensate). Again, only important if it affects you.

Old 08-08-19, 07:17 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
If in all those miles you are not suffering any discomfort then I would not be concerned. I had a similar problem where the right knee would sometimes brush the top tube, The right knee also experiences occasional discomfort. I ended up shiming the foot bed under the arch and installing a 1 degree shim under the cleat. This all had the effect of physically shoving the knee out. It no longer brushes the top tube although I very occasionally get some discomfort When that happens, I step up knee exercises and the discomfort stops.
Old 08-12-19, 08:02 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
(OK, bisect may not be the right word) If I measure the distance from my right knee to the top tube, I get about an inch or so; the same measurement on the left is more than 3 inches. I just noticed this- I imagine I have 100K miles over the last 25 yrs. I dont have any fit problems. Should I care?
Everyone is physically asymmetric to some degree or other. Interesting that it took you this long to notice, but since it doesn’t cause any discomfort or affect your cycling I suspect you can continue to ignore it for another 25 years. My right knee comes closer to the top tube then my left as well. Doesn’t bother me either.

Happy cycling!
Old 08-17-19, 07:24 PM
pakossa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Most likely the left leg is longer, causing it to flair out more. Perhaps a shim/spacer in the right shoe, with a slightly higher saddle would get you a little more symmetrical.