Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Sun EZ Sport CX: chain a tad too close

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Sun EZ Sport CX: chain a tad too close

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-05, 05:05 PM
OldShacker

Bikes: Cannondale R300, RT1000, Trek1000c, EZ sport cx, EZ Tandem (tuna boat)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Sun EZ Sport CX
At the beginning of this month and over 500 miles later I found out why my chain would make that rubbing kind of clicking sound when I am on the 13th ring in the back and larg 54 on the front. To me at first it sounded like it was the front derailleur. I was going too fast to really see what was going on. Then I put a on a rear cog this Saturday, to more of a road cluster that starts off at 13 and each ring another tooth was added until the 2 last rings they jumped up something like 2 teeth, however, my point is that with the original rear cog at 11 to 32 I was making a chain clicking noise and when I put on the road cluster the sound got better but is was still there to be heard. Upon investigating the noise I found was the chain rubbing the frame just past the welds at the rear wheel mount. You can duplicate the rubbin by hinging or mounting bike so that the rear wheel is off the ground and really give the chain a spin so that the chain starts to flex up and it starts to hit the frame.
I only use the gear combo (13 rear and 52 front) when I am going down hills. I fixed the sound by putting electrical tape at the rear joint.
When I have time I just might work on the back to make it tad better clearance.
Not sure if anyone has this problem but my workaround is tape for now. I kno know that the LBS would only hammer it.

08/29/05 Update. The Tape failed to work on my commute in to work this morning. It looks like back to my LBS to have them fix the issue. it looks like a hammer or bend (that would affect alignment). The bike is too new for me to start playing with it.

Last edited by OldShacker; 08-29-05 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-28-05, 07:42 PM
megaman
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is pretty tight down there. Shortly after I got mine, on a downhill my chain became jammed between the tip of the screw holding the seat back and the top gear. My dealer fixed that by putting a rubber spacer to hold the screw out a bit. I haven't had any problems since.
Old 08-28-05, 09:22 PM
OldShacker

Bikes: Cannondale R300, RT1000, Trek1000c, EZ sport cx, EZ Tandem (tuna boat)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by megaman
It is pretty tight down there. Shortly after I got mine, on a downhill my chain became jammed between the tip of the screw holding the seat back and the top gear. My dealer fixed that by putting a rubber spacer to hold the screw out a bit. I haven't had any problems since.
The people at Sun must have heard you. If you noticed in the photo now each seat brace has a plastic spacer for each screw on each side. The bad news for me when I got mine I put on the back bike rack and found that the hex bolt used would not let me turn the quick release. I had to unscrew the left side of the rack and then I was able to take the wheel off. I put one of thouse flat hex heads and put it through from the inside out. it did the job.