Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Need Road Bike Recommendation

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Need Road Bike Recommendation

Old 04-12-13, 02:14 PM
Commodus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Your budget is generous, there is an enormous list of bikes available to you that will work awesome. To narrow down the list, maybe decide what sorts of things you like in a bike, like:

disc/canti/caliper brakes?
classic styling/modern styling?
tire size? Are you planning on going off road much?

If none of this means anything to you, look at some websites:
https://gunnarbikes.com/site/
https://www.rivbike.com/
https://www.somafab.com/
https://surlybikes.com/
https://www.salsacycles.com/
Old 04-12-13, 02:15 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
No no no. Do not buy a touring bike for comfort. Buy a normal road bike, with clearance for bigger tires and braze ons for a rack and fenders. A touring bike has to be built stiff to handle touring loads, this is not what you want.
This is very true! I bought a touring bike for commuting and quickly found out how stiff they are for unloaded riding. I finally improved the ride by installing fatter tires, but that also makes it slower on the hills. A sport touring or cross bike is much better suited for the relatively light weight loads carried by most commuters.
Old 04-12-13, 02:20 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
This is very true! I bought a touring bike for commuting and quickly found out how stiff they are for unloaded riding. I finally improved the ride by installing fatter tires, but that also makes it slower on the hills. A sport touring or cross bike is much better suited for the relatively light weight loads carried by most commuters.
I've been down this road too. My beloved Kona Sutra sits unused, it's just not the right tool for the job. Most jobs. Heck of a nice bike though.
Old 04-12-13, 02:34 PM
Vlaam4ever

Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR Advanced

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I highly recommend a nice steel roadbike with proper eyelets for your needs.

Example:
Sample Soma smoothie https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/smoothie

you can build this out to perfection for 1500-2000 and add top of the line fenders, racks, lights and other goodies.
Old 04-12-13, 02:41 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
This is interesting. I think I understand what you're saying in a theoretical sense, but it's not something I've noticed.

What exactly does this "too stiff" feeling feel like?
Old 04-12-13, 03:51 PM
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cfiber
OMG! I'm so glad that I checked back! I'm really not sure now.

I want a steel road bike that's a comfortable commuter, that can handle up to 40 lbs in groceries, can endure century rides, and perhaps occasional weekend tours.
Not to confuse you any more, but I'm going to confuse you more. With your budget, have you considered titanium?
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ross_ti_xi.htm
Old 04-12-13, 07:50 PM
Cfiber
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm done!

That means that my new Fuji Fondo 1.5 will be used for commuting, centuries, and weekend credit card touring.

I've decided to drive to the grocery store once per week.
Old 04-12-13, 07:56 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
A 0.5 lb carbon fiber fork is a freaking boat anchor. You take one and use it as a club and still ride it. Likewise a 3 lb frame is not light weight.

Just about any leisure/sport level carpet fiber bike can handle the kind of light rack you need:

A decent choice except for the tiagra bits (a good lbs will cut you a deal on upgrades!):
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...done_3_series/

Calfee make bomb proof plastic tourers with threaded eyelets.
https://www.calfeedesign.com/carbon-f...fee-adventure/

Its also trivial for calfee, ruckus, and several other shops to add eyelets to a carbon bike for $300 and change:

https://www.ruckuscomp.com/fender_eyelets/

I now have two carbon fiber commuters and one of them is almost 7 years old with ~25K. As someone who used to eat metal frames for breakfast (esp alu) carbon has been a terrific experience.

My workhorse commuter (I have another carbon commuter now.):

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike.jpg (54.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-12-13, 09:26 PM
Cfiber
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
A 0.5 lb carbon fiber fork is a freaking boat anchor. You take one and use it as a club and still ride it. Likewise a 3 lb frame is not light weight.
How does this relate?

What's a carpet fiber bike?

How is a Trek Madone or your Orbea different from the Gran Fondo 1.5?

Last edited by Cfiber; 04-12-13 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-13-13, 12:41 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
To be clear I was saying 3 pounds was about the lightest frame I'd want to commute on. Apparently you'd go lighter.

But 0.5 pounds is just 226 grams. Who makes a fork lighter than that?
Old 04-13-13, 05:11 AM
Vlaam4ever

Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does this relate?

What's a carpet fiber bike?

Not sure which Madone you are referring to and Trek makes 4 different series and 3 different sizes. Orbeas look funny but are great bikes, as are the Fuji. You'll be fine.

Everybody on this thread assumed you wanted a commuting specific bike. Most of us have a N+1 bikes and use bikes dedicated to specific purposes. road bikes use rigid bottom brackets and lighter wheels and generally lighter frames to get that racing feel. Commuters are generally more relaxed geometry, build more rugged to withstand the element, frames have eyelets for fender and rack mounts. Gearing may be simplified for reliability.

Your fuji is a road bike, you can use it however you like. Enjoy and ride the snot out of it.
Old 04-13-13, 08:22 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a carbon Specialized Roubaix with Apex group. I love this bike for weekend rides but I wouldn't commute on it for these reasons:

1) Has no ability to carry any significant cargo. I don't like to carry backpacks except a Camelbak when mountain biking.
2) It's just way too nice to expose it to the roughness of my daily commute.
3) It's way to fast while having too little grip and too little braking power for city traffic.
4) Tires way too thin for grates, road plates, manholes, bridge gaps, etc.
5) Theft magnet???
Old 04-13-13, 09:19 AM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
How does this relate?
Originally Posted by Andy_K
But 0.5 pounds is just 226 grams. Who makes a fork lighter than that?
Ooops...my bad...metric english units dyslexia. I was thinking 500 gms.

Carpet fiber and plastic are affectionate terms for carbon fiber.
Old 04-13-13, 09:25 AM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Vlaam4ever
Commuters are generally more relaxed geometry, build more rugged to withstand the element, frames have eyelets for fender and rack mounts. Gearing may be simplified for reliability.
I think this is also true for relaxed/leisure carbon fiber road bikes. In fact, the frame geometries are often identical. Check out the Trek 7.7 and Madone 3s. Same bikes except for the flatbar and derailleur. The same is true for the roubaix comps and the sirrus carbon.

Last edited by spare_wheel; 04-13-13 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-13-13, 09:41 AM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
I have a carbon Specialized Roubaix with Apex group. I love this bike for weekend rides but I wouldn't commute on it for these reasons:

1) Has no ability to carry any significant cargo. I don't like to carry backpacks except a Camelbak when mountain biking.
3) It's way to fast while having too little grip and too little braking power for city traffic.
5) Theft magnet???
1. Many roubaix models can take fenders and a rack.
2. Its trivial to buff or wax out scratches on carbon. Dings and scratches on paint not so much.
3. Unless you are buying a race level bike, the wheels shold not be a problem. The stock wheels on the roubaix comps also appear on the sirrus hybrids (the carbon one is basically a roubaix with a flat bar).
4. Personal preference. I have commuted on 23s and 25s for about a decade. Before that I commuted on knobbies.
5. This is true for any nice bike. In my city a soma fab, gunnar, or surly are far more likely to be theft magnets than dorky hard to fence carbon commuters.

Last edited by spare_wheel; 04-13-13 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-13-13, 09:51 AM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My orbea is a carbon fiber city bike that was designed for a heavy rack and hydraulic disc brakes -- a true oddity.

Other than aesthetics and minor differences in geometry I doubt there is a lot of difference between the gran fondo and other leisure carbon road bikes. However, I should note that the trek madone is a US-made OCLV frame. Many regard OCLV to be superior to taiwanese lay ups.

Last edited by spare_wheel; 04-13-13 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-13-13, 09:59 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Many roubaix models can take fenders and a rack. I know someone who toured on one.
2. My carbon fiber bikes look pristine because its trivial to make scratches diappear on carbon.
3. Unless you are buying a race level carbon bike the wheels shold not be a problem. The stock wheels on the cheap comps are very heavy and also appear on the carbon sirrus (which is basically a roubaix with a flat bar). My main commuting wheel sets all weigh 1600-1700 gms.
4. This is silly. I have commuted on 23s and 25s for about a decade. And while I now prefer 25s I had absolutely no problem commuting on 23s.
5. This is true for any nice bike. In my city a soma fab, gunnar, or surly are far more likely to be theft magnets than a dorky uncool carbon bike (esp. if the bike has the dead cow brooks on it).
It depends on the commute too. I pass two metal bridges (one is a draw bridge) with unprotected gaps, some run alongside, they can swallow a 32 tire. I'd be afraid to ride on a road bike. All it takes is a second of inattention. I can ride over those on MTB tires with no worries.

My Roubaix has those funky inserts, (Zerts?) and the rear stays are not round. I don't think mounting a rack to it is a good idea. There is absolutely no way to mount fenders.

I rode my Roubaix a couple of times to work and it didn't feel as safe as on my MTB with fat tires.
Old 04-13-13, 10:40 AM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It depends on the commute too. I pass two metal bridges (one is a draw bridge) with unprotected gaps, some run alongside, they can swallow a 32 tire. I'd be afraid to ride on a road bike. All it takes is a second of inattention. I can ride over those on MTB tires with no worries.
My Roubaix has those funky inserts, (Zerts?) and the rear stays are not round. I don't think mounting a rack to it is a good idea. There is absolutely no way to mount fenders.
I rode my Roubaix a couple of times to work and it didn't feel as safe as on my MTB with fat tires.
Street car tracks and those gaps are definitely the bane of people who ride skinnies.

Braking puts far more force on your stays than a light rack.
I thought that the roubaix comp frames had eyelets but I guess I am wrong. PDW sells fenders with built in eyelets that fit into the QR release and will work on your bike.
Old 04-13-13, 10:41 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Walking into a proper bike shop being considered? . brands carried at your favorite LBS are? ...
Old 04-13-13, 10:51 AM
Gatorfreak

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A cross bike can make a nice commuter too. Plenty of clearance for larger tires. This is what I use. I'd suggest spending $1k or less for a decent steel road or cross bike.

Save the other $2k for the nicer CF road bike you'll want in 6 months when you decide you like riding your bike for commuting so much that you want to start joining your local group rides on the weekend.
Old 04-13-13, 10:58 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Street car tracks and those gaps are definitely the bane of people who ride skinnies.

Braking puts far more force on your stays than a light rack.
I thought that the roubaix comp frames had eyelets but I guess I am wrong. PDW sells fenders with built in eyelets that fit into the QR release and will work on your bike.
I just tend to err on the side of caution, sometimes perhaps too much. But for me getting to work 10 minutes later is a fair tradeoff for some extra safety. And yeah, definitely, my Roubaix doesn't have any eyelets whatsoever, and the stays are very skinny.

I could perhaps mount a seatpost rack, but really I see no need in riding a fast CF bike to work. It's only 8 miles, all urban.

BTW, I will be riding now on my Disc Trucker with 32 tires so I will take a longer route just to avoid those two bridges.

BTW2:

5) Theft magnet???
My lame-looking frankenbike was stolen last week. So yeah, you're right: anything can be a theft subject. In particular in NYC

Last edited by AdamDZ; 04-13-13 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-13-13, 11:55 AM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Redline Metro would be my choice.

https://www.redlinebicycles.com/archi...-metro-classic

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Metro-classic-thumb_800.jpg (81.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-13-13, 02:55 PM
Cfiber
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

5) Theft magnet???
This all sounds fairly logical!

I once punctured two road bike tires in rapid succession (within one second) when I tried to roll over a sharp edged road plate. Mtb tires were made more for sharp edged rocks and burred roots, than narrower and thinner road bike tires.

1. Many roubaix models can take fenders and a rack.
2. Its trivial to buff or wax out scratches on carbon. Dings and scratches on paint not so much.
3. Unless you are buying a race level bike, the wheels shold not be a problem. The stock wheels on the roubaix comps also appear on the sirrus hybrids (the carbon one is basically a roubaix with a flat bar).
4. Personal preference. I have commuted on 23s and 25s for about a decade. Before that I commuted on knobbies.
5. This is true for any nice bike. In my city a soma fab, gunnar, or surly are far more likely to be theft magnets than dorky hard to fence carbon commuters.
This all sounds fairly logical too!

I almost never see rack or fender mounts on higher end road bikes, unless they're more touring oriented road bikes. Of course, there are the lower tiered entry level road bikes that have eyelets for both rack and fenders.

Last edited by Cfiber; 04-13-13 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-13-13, 03:48 PM
Cfiber
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vlaam4ever
Not sure which Madone you are referring to and Trek makes 4 different series and 3 different sizes. Orbeas look funny but are great bikes, as are the Fuji. You'll be fine.

Everybody on this thread assumed you wanted a commuting specific bike. Most of us have a N+1 bikes and use bikes dedicated to specific purposes. road bikes use rigid bottom brackets and lighter wheels and generally lighter frames to get that racing feel. Commuters are generally more relaxed geometry, build more rugged to withstand the element, frames have eyelets for fender and rack mounts. Gearing may be simplified for reliability.

Your fuji is a road bike, you can use it however you like. Enjoy and ride the snot out of it.
Thanks, Vlaam!
Old 04-13-13, 04:27 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Alright then, what steel road bikes would you recommend in the $1500 - $3000 range?... Would I even have to spend that much?
None. Steel is crap. Rusty and heavy. Titanium is the answer:
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._pro_ti_xi.htm
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ross_ti_xi.htm

Will take wide tires,fenders,racks,and even discs. Had one,it was my fav until it was stolen.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.