Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

LCF: drunk drivers

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-16, 10:27 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts

There are those who are forced by legal means to live car-free. Or they might have a car, but cannot drive it. In the USA, in most states, part of the penalty for being arrested and/or convicted on a drunk driving charge is loss of driving privilege. In my neck of the woods, you can sometimes tell who these people are -- cyclists in regular, non-cycling attire, riding either a dept. store bike, or some ancient thing leftover from the 70s bike boom with the drop handlebars turned up but no adjustment made for brake lever positioning...

Generally, these riders, transit users, and utilizers of ride share schemes are all about getting back to driving, counting down the days until their suspension is lifted.

But there must be some perhaps small percentage who realize they can get by just fine without a car. That the expense of driving and/or jumping through the hoops required to reinstate their driving privilege is too steep. That perhaps if they maintain their penchant for alcoholic beverages or other intoxicants, it might be best if they don't drive, for moral or legal reasons.

I would here posit that DUI/DWI/OUI penalties are excellent, state enforced encouragement toward LCF. A side benefit of efforts to legislate away the scourge of drunk driving...
Old 06-10-16, 10:34 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I never see a bike parked outside our local liquor stores.... At least here in the Catskills, things are often too far away to get there by bike for the average person and we have only taxi's, no buses or trains, almost forcing the "non-licensed" to take their chances by breaking the law and continue driving.

We have a lot of DWI's issued around here (seems to be easy pickings) but people continue to drive. They probably would benefit in many ways riding a bike, but then again, that would take away from their drinking money...
Old 06-10-16, 02:09 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Um, just because one is riding a bike in casual clothes doesn't make them a drunk or mean they are only riding due to getting a DUI. THAT IS A MYTH likely made up by someone who doesn't bike (or believe in bettering themselves with a healthier lifestyle) ! Honestly I have known far too many people who have had their licenses suspended for drunk driving (among other infractions), who still get behind the wheel. A drunk doesn't care if they are legal or not to drive. I don't know any who would simply give up the keys to their car and bike.

Edit:

On the other hand , I would say someone riding in street clothes are more likely to be on a strict budget financially and can't afford the upkeep (maintenance, insurance, registration fees) of a motor vehicle than be a drunk who lost their license. However, that's not saying its true for all, some people are simply thrifty and refuse to be Lance wannabes in Peter Pan outfits no matter how aerodynamic/comfortable it may or may not be (a debate for another thread).

Last edited by MikeRides; 06-10-16 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-10-16, 02:40 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NYMXer
We have a lot of DWI's issued around here (seems to be easy pickings) but people continue to drive. They probably would benefit in many ways riding a bike, but then again, that would take away from their drinking money...
How do ya figure? Not owning a car should be more​ drinking money!
Old 06-10-16, 02:55 PM
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.

Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You make some pretty wild assumptions about people based on their appearances.
Old 06-10-16, 03:19 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeRides
On the other hand , I would say someone riding in street clothes are more likely to be on a strict budget financially and can't afford the upkeep (maintenance, insurance, registration fees) of a motor vehicle than be a drunk who lost their license. However, that's not saying its true for all, some people are simply thrifty and refuse to be Lance wannabes in Peter Pan outfits no matter how aerodynamic/comfortable it may or may not be (a debate for another thread).
Or, like me, they like having pockets in normal places. Hence the hi-vis t-shirts with either jeans or cargo shorts.
Old 06-10-16, 03:26 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Getting a rack is a good idea. Trying to stuff a 12-pack in your backpack gets old.
Old 06-10-16, 05:03 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I've seen some pointless posting in my time but the o.p. raises the bar to a whole new level...
Old 06-10-16, 05:08 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
How can you be sure that somebody has a DUI, just because they're riding an old beater and not wearing a spandex costume ??
Old 06-10-16, 05:30 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
How do ya figure? Not owning a car should be more​ drinking money!
Riding a bike (per mile) is expensive and cuts into my drinking..... so much so, I don't drink. lol
Old 06-10-16, 08:44 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Oregon is loathe to take away the driving privilege. First offense drunk driving is waived after a classroom thing. Second offense can get a one-month suspension, but everyone gets a hardship waiver that lets them drive to/from shopping and work, so they can legally drive to the liquor store. Third offense pertty much like the second. A fourth offense in a three year period can, but usually doesn't, get a revocation.

In spite of that, I do have an acquaintance who stopped driving after his third or fourth DUII. He bought a nice bike and has logged incredible miles since then. He'll take off on a Saturday morning with some food and his camera and return Sunday night after riding 300 miles, some on gravel, just for the joy of taking nice photos in remote places. Every day he thanks the court that took his license for saving and enhancing his life.
Old 06-11-16, 01:03 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
In spite of that, I do have an acquaintance who stopped driving after his third or fourth DUII. He bought a nice bike and has logged incredible miles since then. He'll take off on a Saturday morning with some food and his camera and return Sunday night after riding 300 miles, some on gravel, just for the joy of taking nice photos in remote places. Every day he thanks the court that took his license for saving and enhancing his life.
Thanks for sharing. That would be great testimonial at a AAA meeting on the value of LCF.
Old 06-11-16, 03:01 PM
JBHoren
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Thanks for sharing. That would be great testimonial at a AAA meeting on the value of LCF.
Old 06-14-16, 11:33 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx

But there must be some perhaps small percentage who realize they can get by just fine without a car. That the expense of driving and/or jumping through the hoops required to reinstate their driving privilege is too steep. That perhaps if they maintain their penchant for alcoholic beverages or other intoxicants, it might be best if they don't drive, for moral or legal reasons.

I would here posit that DUI/DWI/OUI penalties are excellent, state enforced encouragement toward LCF. A side benefit of efforts to legislate away the scourge of drunk driving...
Well...I may be in that small percentage. I was already a car-free commuter, so a year of a probationary license that only allowed me to drive to work was basically the same as not having one at all.

The seasons changed, and I continued to go about my usual business by bike. I learned how to deal with heat, cold, rain, snow, and ice; I learned how to do things like carry heavy stuff on my bike. I got stronger, and realized that places I usually went by car were now easily accessible on two wheels. I got my full driving privileges back, but kept the car only for large grocery trips and visiting friends and family in other cities.

Riding the bike was helpful in my early recovery from alcohol addiction, and cycling became my new drug of choice. (Spandex got involved at some point.) I eventually got rid of the car as well. Even though it was horrible and embarrassing at the time, getting popped with a DUI might be one of the best things that ever happened.
Old 06-14-16, 11:44 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Interesting how most responders chose to focus on one throwaway sentence in the preamble of the OP rather than the point.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-14-16, 03:02 PM
P_M

Bikes: Devinci Tosca S

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I was riding to a night club or social function I'd be wearing street clothes. Fancy padded unterhosen under a pair of trousers sure, but not the racing gear.

Girls laugh at me as it is. I sure don't need to show off the groceries in lycra at the bar...
Old 06-16-16, 02:56 PM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by MikeRides
Um, just because one is riding a bike in casual clothes doesn't make them a drunk or mean they are only riding due to getting a DUI.
Originally Posted by davidmcowan
You make some pretty wild assumptions about people based on their appearances.
Originally Posted by wolfchild
How can you be sure that somebody has a DUI, just because they're riding an old beater and not wearing a spandex costume ??
1. Yes, I will make some wild assumptions that someone who doesn't look like they rode a bike until the past couple of weeks is now riding some beater poorly very well may be on a bike not because they want to or because it is economic, but because they can't drive. And not for medical reasons, obviously. With some, the usual tell-tale sign is the lit cigarette...

2. I know drunks, I know cyclists, and there is a certain overlap between these two groups of people.

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I've seen some pointless posting in my time but the o.p. raises the bar to a whole new level...
Just sayin': drunk driving penalties are potentially a great way to introduce people to LCF...
Old 06-16-16, 03:08 PM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by wipekitty
Well...I may be in that small percentage. I was already a car-free commuter, so a year of a probationary license that only allowed me to drive to work was basically the same as not having one at all.

The seasons changed, and I continued to go about my usual business by bike. I learned how to deal with heat, cold, rain, snow, and ice; I learned how to do things like carry heavy stuff on my bike. I got stronger, and realized that places I usually went by car were now easily accessible on two wheels. I got my full driving privileges back, but kept the car only for large grocery trips and visiting friends and family in other cities.

Riding the bike was helpful in my early recovery from alcohol addiction, and cycling became my new drug of choice. (Spandex got involved at some point.) I eventually got rid of the car as well. Even though it was horrible and embarrassing at the time, getting popped with a DUI might be one of the best things that ever happened.
Cool!

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Interesting how most responders chose to focus on one throwaway sentence in the preamble of the OP rather than the point.
This.

Another data point:

I was arrested DUI after I bounced my motorcycle off a stopped bus, into a car. 225 day driving suspension, and while I could have used public transport, I retrieved a bike from storage and really got into bicycle commuting. Although I owned a car, I was forced to LCF because of the driving suspension. It felt great, saved money, and was actually a faster way to get through the city. It got me flirting with LCF, thinking about a move closer to where I was working, but a new relationship, a move out of town, and it made LCF all but impossible. Car lite, sure; car free, not so much. And even when I got to where I landed, I continued and continue to commute by bicycle, both for fitness and savings.

So yeah, if y'all want to dismiss DUI penalties as an avenue toward LCF, that's fine. But it could be a missed opportunity to spread the LCF word. I'd guess it is an avenue for many, a forced transition, just that not many will brag on it or get all smug about the reality of what drove them (ha) to LCF...
Old 06-16-16, 03:13 PM
denis123

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is funny that in my experience, the only people that accuse others of drinking are alcoholics.
Old 06-16-16, 03:14 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wipekitty

Nice post. Happy travels! Life on a bicycle makes an adventure out of every day huh?
Old 06-17-16, 08:50 AM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by denis123
It is funny that in my experience, the only people that accuse others of drinking are alcoholics.
We tend to be able to ID one another, yes... Nothing worse than a righteous addict, in recovery.

And among us, we might also point out that friends, relatives, and family members who are not necessarily alcoholics themselves, upon occasion, may have remarked on our excessive drinking...
Old 06-19-16, 06:50 PM
blackieoneshot 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Voyager SP, 1984 Lotus Legend Compe, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, 1973 Monark, 2015 Surly Pacer

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts
The tell tale sign, a lit cigarette:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
eddy-merxk-smoking.jpg (29.8 KB, 65 views)
Old 06-28-16, 12:49 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The days of DUIs are limited. Self driving cars will eventually be the norm. it will still take awhile to get there, but it will. It can't come soon enough, IMO. Some people might ride a bike or take mass transit, but more will opt for using an interlock device or just to drive with a suspended license.
Old 06-28-16, 02:21 PM
mconlonx

There's two first-hand accounts here of those who were turned on to transportation cycling by DUI LCF stints.

I know others.