Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A Daughter's Bike

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A Daughter's Bike

Old 07-28-19, 07:42 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 127 Posts
A Daughter's Bike

So, what was thought to be a granddaughter’s first bike has been re-purposed. It is now a daughters bike (step daughter, in fact, but to me as a father they are all daughters, from one to four after remarriage and now four granddaughters too ). To see more about this bike do a search for my post “A Time Capsule Bike-Nishiki Competition (Loop Frame)”

Last edited by since6; 07-28-19 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-28-19, 07:44 AM
since6

It took some changes to get this bike to fit, as this daughter; second to get a bike from me is both small in height and a mom.

To get fit right the 90mm stem had to go, and therein was the first issue as being an early 1970s bike it had not a 22.2 mm stem into the steering tube, but a 21 mm stem. But to borrow from Robert Frost’s “Mending Wall” something there is that did want this bike to be built and immediately after finding this conundrum turning to eBay I not only found a 21mm stem, but one that was 70mm bringing handlebar reach back so her back wasn’t stretched, mother’s backs are tired enough without her bicycle going all Medieval on her and turning into The Rack.
Old 07-28-19, 07:45 AM
since6

Brake pads next, the originals were still on the bike, actually in perfect condition and now after 40+ years the consistency of black basalt stone, a Terminator could use them to stop this bike, a mother never. Adjusted the turkey leg brake levers to work well enough and now she can stop even in the rain.

Old 07-28-19, 07:52 AM
since6

Moms carry everything, so I’ve recreated with 32mm tires and a rear rack and pannier a functional mini-van on two wheels. When she wants to ride alone and fast she can leave the panniers off and when she has her two sons, never in tow, Grandsons ah yes the joys of chasing the functional equivalent of feral cats, the Ortlieb pannier bag can take a lot, including a purse!

But as with the stem there were teething problems, the only way to fix the front of the rack to the frame was through the seat post bolt, but of course that bolt did not fit through the rack mount hole and to drill out the rack mount hole would leave not enough metal with a likely failure of the rack at this hole. So off I went to "Tacoma Screw" a miracle place that has never not had a fastener I've needed and with many bags of different sizes, thus avoiding the many trips back and forth. I both got a bolt that would fit the racks hole and two plastic shims that would capture the smaller bolt inside the larger seat posts holes so things are snug and in alignment.

LoL I only had to completely disassemble this once when I forgot to add the rack supports into the stack of washers,etc.

Last edited by since6; 07-28-19 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-28-19, 07:58 AM
since6

Mom's also need to hydrate and there were no braze ons for water bottles, so I ended up with this Topeka handlebar mount. At first things just wouldn't work as the water bottle cage I used was new and tight and getting the bottle in and out would move the mount on the handlebar, what do do? I dug around and found an older worn water bottle cage that let things slide in and out easier, tightened the mount and all was well.

But this was pretty ratty looking so out came the standard black touch up auto paint bottle and...

And now she has water/coffee.
Old 07-28-19, 07:58 AM
since6

Soon a riding family? Dad got a bike from me too, and the Grandsons they are hard at work walking grandpa every time I’m over as they ride their training wheels and big wheels, both projects ready to have training wheels removed in one case and a balance bike in the other, such is joy.
Old 07-28-19, 11:18 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Very nice work and you can also teach her how to carry your load on those long rides Enjoy the ride.
Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 07-29-19, 08:05 AM
since6

Thanks xiaman1 in a couple more weeks I'll have completed the last daughters bike, though it was a found frame full rebuild and I did go modern on this one, but will post when done.
Old 07-29-19, 08:07 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
LOve that u build for others. Its great seeing people ride on something i built.