Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Old 07-18-19, 06:53 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
I got my pro vic pedals all rebuilt and some better calipers on to the Nishiki.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 07-18-19, 07:20 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by FujiSam
Beautiful bike!! I've been thinking about getting a Dos Eno, but haven't felt like paying that much for a freewheel. Sounds like you ride mostly fixed, but how did the Eno feel compared to any other single speed freewheel you've ridden?
I didn’t feel like paying that much for the Dos Eno either, so I scored a deal on a used one. SS is a different animal from fixed and from derailleur geared bikes, too. I will have to adjust to it, I think. That said, it manages to feel like a reliable and durable piece of equipment while still feeling light. I have an associate who has ridden a standard White Industries freewheel for many years who loves his. The sealed bearing construction and the general quality of this unit far outstrips the usual Shimano units I’ve experimented with in the past. I like it and think it will work for a long time.
Old 07-18-19, 07:36 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117

Route the front brake cable all the way under the bar tape like you've done with the rear. Route the rear cable outside (in front of) the front cable, then on around the non-drive side of the head tube, then back under the top tube to its cable stop. It still won't be "perfect," but it will be a lot better looking. I've done something similar with my Paramount.

And make sure you have the stem height exactly where you want it before beginning.

Good looking frame. Congrats on the new wheelset plan.

Last edited by SurferRosa; 07-18-19 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-19-19, 03:54 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Had this light knocking around for a while. It came with another bike I bought, and I've been using it as a household flashlight. It's bright enough for me to be seen, so I set out to mount it on my Peugeot wet weather utility bike. The Soma Lucas Mini rack has these nice mounting points.

So I took a chunk off of a piece of aluminum bar stock, drilled it, and threaded it for a 6 x 1mm bolt.

So hot today, I spent about 30 minutes in the garage and sweat right through my t-shirt. But, I've successfully bolted more stuff to the old beater, and will hopefully stand out that much more when I need to.

Old 07-19-19, 04:34 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Flushed and rejuvenated a RX100 STI today. It helps to flush from the bottom.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 07-20-19, 04:34 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
Flushed and rejuvenated a RX100 STI today. It helps to flush from the bottom.
How long did that take? I did it a few years ago. It took a few weeks and repeated flushes. But it worked.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-20-19, 05:11 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
How long did that take? I did it a few years ago. It took a few weeks and repeated flushes. But it worked.
I emptied about half the WD-40 spray can into it a few weeks back, from the top, with no improvement. Yesterday I flipped the bike upside down and flushed a few times, using about half of what was left in the can. It was working after five minutes!

I honestly thought it was toast.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Last edited by horatio; 07-20-19 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-22-19, 11:27 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
Here is a 1986 Fuji Sundance I found in the back room at the Bike Exchange as a frame/ fork. It was the first year that Fuji made mountain bikes and I think it's a classic.

I did my usual clean and clear coat of the frame. The paint was very good for a 33 year old bike with few scratches and very little fading.

Rubbing out the paint with white polishing compound does wonders for the finish, removing ground in dirt and lots of scratches and other marks.

I kept the 3 x 6 gearing of the original. I found a set of bull moose bars in the bin and some 1.75 x 26 tires to further stay with the original specs. The cranks are Sugino SA with steel chain rings and should be bomb proof. The freewheel is a Shimano hyperglide and I used old Shimano thumbies as I couldn't get any Suntour thumb shifters. It has the original front derailleur and a Mountain LX rear.

Altogether a pretty sweet ride. It should sell quickly at the shop.

Old 07-22-19, 11:34 AM
FujiSam

Bikes: '72 Fuji Newest, '79 Fuji Royale Gravel Grinder; '84 Schwinn High Sierra BMX Cruiser; '97 Huffy Tremor BMX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny
Here is a 1986 Fuji Sundance I found in the back room at the Bike Exchange as a frame/ fork. It was the first year that Fuji made mountain bikes and I think it's a classic.

I did my usual clean and clear coat of the frame. The paint was very good for a 33 year old bike with few scratches and very little fading.

Rubbing out the paint with white polishing compound does wonders for the finish, removing ground in dirt and lots of scratches and other marks.

I kept the 3 x 6 gearing of the original. I found a set of bull moose bars in the bin and some 1.75 x 26 tires to further stay with the original specs. The cranks are Sugino SA with steel chain rings and should be bomb proof. The freewheel is a Shimano hyperglide and I used old Shimano thumbies as I couldn't get any Suntour thumb shifters. It has the original front derailleur and a Mountain LX rear.

Altogether a pretty sweet ride. It should sell quickly at the shop.
Wow, awesome find and a total classic-- I so wish this was in my garage!! '86 may have been the last year for the sweet seat tube decal as well, but I'm not sure.
Old 07-22-19, 02:31 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I have made progress on my gravel bike, a 1971 Raleigh Super Course. I have a tall Technomic stem and mustache handlebars. It will have fenders and dynamo lighting.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 07-22-19, 02:54 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 694 Posts
I have been working on this 1973 Raleigh Competition, which involved scrubbing away decades worth of dirt, treating frame and fork with Evapo-Rust and bronze-brushing the rust and loose chrome from the fork. When that was done, I had about 25% chrome remaining, so I broke out the gloss black Rustoleum and covered the ruined areas while transitioning to the original dipped-looking black. Some J.P. Weigle's framesaver, some careful spot sanding of rust, some Meguiar's polish and the last of a bottle of Armor All paint protectant spray and I got the finish looking about as well as it's gonna look. I had to spread the seat lug back out to its proper shape, then buy and use a brake cylinder hone to clean out the corrosion inside the seat tube before the 27.2 mm post fit correctly. I lost some of the original tiny loose balls in the headset, but discovered the caged bearings left over from the top half of a cheap Tange fit the upper race of the T.D. Cross headset like they were made for it, so I used that up top with the original small bearings in the lower race. The T.A. bottom bracket cleaned up beautifully, too, and after comparing its spindle to a Nervar unit, I think I can use this as-is with a set of Nervar Star cranks and get the chainline I seek.

Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 07-23-19, 09:07 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I volunteer at the bike coop on Monday evenings. Yesterday, the forecast called for heavy thunderstorms. I wanted to minimize my getting-wet-ness, and my Raleigh International, my only bike with fenders, has a bum wheel I've been meaning to replace. I realized that since I've put 650b wheels on my Lemond, I have spare 700c wheels. I took the rear from the Lemond and put it on the Raleigh. The Lemond had Campagnolo wheels, so the indexed shifting shouldn't work. But hey, it works.

Old 07-23-19, 09:41 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
I volunteer at the bike coop on Monday evenings. Yesterday, the forecast called for heavy thunderstorms. I wanted to minimize my getting-wet-ness, and my Raleigh International, my only bike with fenders, has a bum wheel I've been meaning to replace. I realized that since I've put 650b wheels on my Lemond, I have spare 700c wheels. I took the rear from the Lemond and put it on the Raleigh. The Lemond had Campagnolo wheels, so the indexed shifting shouldn't work. But hey, it works.

Nice looking! Do u have brifters on there?

Last edited by 52telecaster; 07-23-19 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-23-19, 11:12 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Nice looking! Do u have brifters on there?
Yes, it's a 3x10 drivetrain. I'm not sure the left brifter is really meant to shift a triple, but I made it work. The brifters are 105, the front derailleur is Ultegra, and the rear derailleur is Sora. The rear hub is currently a Campagnolo Record, originally 9-speed, and it's a Miche 10-speed cassette. How's that for a hodgepodge?

Old 07-23-19, 11:40 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,373 Times in 3,665 Posts
Yes, it's a 3x10 drivetrain. I'm not sure the left brifter is really meant to shift a triple, but I made it work. The brifters are 105, the front derailleur is Ultegra, and the rear derailleur is Sora. The rear hub is currently a Campagnolo Record, originally 9-speed, and it's a Miche 10-speed cassette. How's that for a hodgepodge?
That is excellent for a hodgepodge, WE will decide what can, does and will work.
Likes For merziac:
Old 07-23-19, 02:31 PM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
That is excellent for a hodgepodge, WE will decide what can, does and will work.
Evidence based around here!

Old 07-27-19, 11:20 PM
game_player_s

Bikes: Raliegh Technium 400, Giant Excursion, GT Cross Series Passage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
The 197x (really I have no idea what exact year it's from) Chiorda Mixte. Anyone who keeps tabs on the "Your Catch of the Day" topic may recall seeing me post this poor abused bike rescue two weekends ago. I couldn't resist making this bike my #1 priority to refurbish, because let's face it, it would be embarrassing for a bike that looked like this to be seen in your yard wouldn't it? And I kinda felt sorry for it. But what a disaster it has been to work on. Below is how the bike looked when I bought it two Saturday's ago.

So far I've removed the poorly matched rear rack, the saddle and seatpost, both wheels, the handle bars, the brake calipers, and the peculiar Simplex rear derailleur (more on that later). Scrubbed the ancient blue spray paint off of the frame elements with a wire brush that were never meant to have paint on them. Scrubbed the blue spray paint off of the brake calibers, derailleur, hubs, spokes, rims, handlebars, cassette, crank arms, pedals, chain (Yes, some idiot painted the chain even!). The previous owner informed me, and all evidence seemed to validate, that the bike was already blue when they bought it, they replaced the tires, tubes, rim strips, brake pads, gear shift cable and housing, and rear brake cable and housing. The cables were easy enough to visibly see looked new, and lacked any blue paint. I had to strip the tires from the wheels regardless to first scrub the blue paint, and then to wire brush as much rust off as possible, was them, dry them, and finally hit them with a RustOleam Clear Coat, which gave provided the chance to validate the condition of the inner tubes and rim strips, which were all fine thankfully. While putting the rear wheel back on the bike though I noticed something was really odd looking about the Simplex derailleur scrubbing away blobs of dried grease discovered that one jockey wheel had no teeth left and the other had only about a third of its' teeth remaining... just great.

So next on the agenda is the removal of the headset as it rather consistently feels like it has a bad bearing when the handlebar is turned. And yes, the fork has been rotated a hundred and eighty degrees back to normality. Presently taking a break from this project as the new jockey sprockets are on order from overseas and not likely to show up for at least two weeks. Since had to order those, well, I figured "why not" and also ordered a new seatpost tube, as the one it came with, which I presume is original to the bike is all of about six inched long... which basically only gives the rider about two inches of safe height adjustment variance, how dreadful. And since I ordered a new, more normal modern length seatpost I figured, well why not a quick release skewer for the seatpost too?

All in all, I think this bike, even with a blue spray can paint job, is actually going to look rather sharp when all is said and done. Can't wait for all the parts to arrive and see if what I'm envisioning for the finishing touches will look as good in reality as my imagination is telling me it will.
Old 07-28-19, 04:46 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts

Had some help and then took it out on a shakedown run last night. Still making adjustments.
Old 07-28-19, 07:54 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
Starting to sort this out. Bar ends and a more upright stem.
Old 07-28-19, 08:18 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
The ***gin gets a yellow cable housing and a ceramic mavic 9sp Dura Ace wheels
Old 07-28-19, 11:19 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by jim dandy

Progress ...
Got the head stem and cranks for the ‘88 Black Lightning back from powder coating ... installed new decals ...
JD , Dallas
Sweet!
Where did you source the decals?
Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 07-28-19, 03:58 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,580 Times in 1,762 Posts
Cleaned up the Méral. I'd bought it for mrs non-fixie because she wanted "something special". Thought this might be a good candidate.

The paint is in pretty good condition, but the original hearing aid beige is so not special that I am considering painting it.

Old 07-28-19, 04:38 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I put away the Ironman and the two Treks, and will be riding Panasonic for the forseeable future. '72 World Voyageur and '92 Paramount PDG 5. These two have been on the shelf since April, so needed some tuning up. The Paramount is my only indexed bike so will be somewhat of a treat. The WV has a Spirt fd and a Cyclone rear. A great set.
Old 07-28-19, 05:24 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
Something a little different

It is a mid 80's Phillipe , A small boutique builder that I had never heard of. I am going to build it up with all french parts if possible.

Old 07-28-19, 06:31 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by jim dandy
Xiaoman1 ...

Ben ....
Here is the link ... easy to use after some practice. Good, quick service. Even sent some extras for mistakes.

https://doityourselflettering.com/vinyl-lettering/

Regards,
JD, Dallas
JD, Thanks for the information....I have been working on the bike storage in my studio this past week and while not a bicycle it's bicycle-related.
Hung them all on the back wall as well as the joists in the ceiling.
...Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.