Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Track stand revelation

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Track stand revelation

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 10:10 AM
oldfixguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Track stand revelation

Hey, wanted to pass on a little technique that absolutely improved my pathetic track standing capability. I was having trouble doing any sort of track stand. I could pull it off for a short while but certainly could not sit nor even do a standing track stand with any real confidence. So, today while I was practicing I essentially by accident came across a great technique. If you are trying to either gain the skill or improve it this really helped me. DON'T try to actually track stand. Come to a stop and then pedal backwards a bit - forward a bit - backwards a bit - forward a bit. Keep doing that. It's actually pretty easy to do standing with about 2 feet of motion in either direction. You'll get it in a snap. Within about 90 minutes I was sitting doing a track stand. It works. I guess you could call it easing into a track stand.
Old 07-23-09, 10:19 AM
lattanzio
bike bike bike

Bikes: eai bareknuckle, cayne uno beater, raleigh sprite 27 conversion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's how you do it. maybe not a whole 2 feet but that added vector of movement keeps the balance. eventually you can get it down to just rolling forward and reverse to correct yourself, but you need to move. use your knees on the nose of your saddle, or top tube, as well.
Old 07-23-09, 10:27 AM
drainyoo

Bikes: Capo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldfixguy
Hey, wanted to pass on a little technique that absolutely improved my pathetic track standing capability. I was having trouble doing any sort of track stand. I could pull it off for a short while but certainly could not sit nor even do a standing track stand with any real confidence. So, today while I was practicing I essentially by accident came across a great technique. If you are trying to either gain the skill or improve it this really helped me. DON'T try to actually track stand. Come to a stop and then pedal backwards a bit - forward a bit - backwards a bit - forward a bit. Keep doing that. It's actually pretty easy to do standing with about 2 feet of motion in either direction. You'll get it in a snap. Within about 90 minutes I was sitting doing a track stand. It works. I guess you could call it easing into a track stand.
Do you keep the front wheel straight or do you turn it? I can't track stand for the life of me, I'm going to try this technique and see if it comes easier. Thanks!
Old 07-23-09, 10:27 AM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You mean don't try to actually trackstand as in stand perfectly still in one place? Your technique of using both forward and backward movement was how I learned too. But I guess on the actually track, you aren't allowed to move backwards correct? or else the race is started over? When I learned I just spent a lot of time in my apartment, in my kitchen and in my room just trying over and over, and I when I started getting it down, I moved out to the street and tried rolling into it. Now I'm learning it all over again with my wheel turned the other way....
Old 07-23-09, 10:45 AM
Yo!

Bikes: Panasonic NJS Keirin x2, Level Professional, Bianchi CUSS, GT Pulse

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think you've got to keep the wheel turned in to kind of "snub" your bike into position, otherwise you'll just fall over.
Old 07-23-09, 10:46 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Syncmaster
But I guess on the actually track, you aren't allowed to move backwards correct? or else the race is started over?
In a match sprint race on the track, you are allowed up to 20 cm (8 inches) or about a 1/4 wheel rotation backward motion during a track stand.
Old 07-23-09, 10:56 AM
bicycleptic
epilepsy advocate

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper, Cannondale touring bike, Cannondale Black Lightning and a Cannondale Capo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another trick that worked well for me was resting the heal of one foot on the chainstay. Where that was most helpful was that I can now do a trackstand with either pedal forward.

And like syncmaster said, going forward and backward is not technically a trackstand. However one starts out rolling forward and back a matter of a foot each way and within an hour or so at practice it should be down to millimeters each way.
Old 07-23-09, 11:39 AM
chevy42083
steel lover

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Miyata 710, Fuji Espree Fixie convert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I learned doing similar by putting forward heal on the crank.

Bars turned at 45deg. (ish)
Knee against top tube.

Still can't sit, but can stand till I get bored.

BTW, the real interesting part comes when the ground is either not level, rough, or you roll into the perfect crank position... on top of a seam between pavements.
Old 07-23-09, 12:00 PM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also helps if you've been unicycling, slacklining, surfing, and skateboarding, your whole life too... Balance sports tend to add up.
Likes For Syncmaster:
Old 07-23-09, 12:03 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
now practice it while lighting cigs, slamming beers, and texting
Old 07-23-09, 12:14 PM
time bandit
¡Senor Member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ianjk
now practice it while lighting cigs, slamming beers, and texting
this.
Old 07-23-09, 03:04 PM
Mcarter24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure this goes without saying, but having the wheel turned in the direction as whatever foot is forward on the pedals makes a world of difference. Also reduces the number of unnecessary dismounts.
Old 07-23-09, 03:15 PM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I found the heel-on-the-chainstay thing to help too. Gives a much finer degree of precision to your adjustments.

Not so practical when you are riding and roll into it, though.
Old 07-23-09, 03:15 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I can track stand better on my road bike, I don't understand why.
Old 08-18-19, 07:18 AM
Perumal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you move backwards

Originally Posted by oldfixguy
Come to a stop and then pedal backwards a bit - forward a bit - backwards a bit - forward a bit. Keep doing that. It's actually pretty easy to do standing with about 2 feet of motion in either direction. You'll get it in a snap. Within about 90 minutes I was sitting doing a track stand. It works. I guess you could call it easing into a track stand.
How do you move backwards? Do you do it on a uphill slope? I'm alright at the trackstand but am having a hard time to move backwards once stopped (lean forward front brake on, lean back release front brake and move back)
Maybe this could help on an incline
Old 08-18-19, 10:54 AM
diff

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You would move backwards by pedaling backwards.

Come up to a slow stopping roll, then right when you come to the stopping point start to pedal backwards. And then the same motion to start going forward again.

Turning your tire helps. Keep it around 20 - 25 degrees while going back and forth. I would recommend to practice both directions as learning to ride backwards will come easier.
Old 08-19-19, 06:29 AM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Perumal
How do you move backwards? Do you do it on a uphill slope? I'm alright at the trackstand but am having a hard time to move backwards once stopped (lean forward front brake on, lean back release front brake and move back)
Maybe this could help on an incline
I think doing it on flat would help you more. But you just balance and lightly put backpedal pressure then forward pressure with your wheel turned on an angle, either to the right or left. You're only doing it as a balance point to stay steady. Tracking standing or riding backwards becomes stupid easy and just clicks after practicing for long enough daily.
Old 08-19-19, 11:24 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Maybe the new forum member who resurrected this ten year old thread is not aware he's posting in the fixed gear forum, or that with a fixed gear you can pedal backwards to move backwards. It makes track stands quite easy with a little practice. They're possible with a freewheel as well, but as mentioned above, it's helpful to stop on a little bit of an incline.

I'm not good at trackstanding with a freewheel, but I can pretty much stand as long as I wish on a fixed gear. Here's how I do it:

- Stop with my left foot forward (left crank arm positioned around 9:00, viewed from the non-drive side)*

- Turn the handlebar left roughly 30 to 60 degrees

- Stand on the pedals and lean forward slightly

- Balance using a combination of left/right weight shift, handlebar movement, and moving the bike forward and back using the pedals

- Sometimes I cheat by holding the front brake. This isn't really necessary, but it's sometimes helpful when initiating the track stand.

* I happen to be right handed, but I may be left foot dominant. I'm not sure. I kick a ball with my right foot, but I ride a skateboard "goofy" (right foot on the board, left foot kicking).
Old 08-30-19, 06:16 PM
BicycleBicycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
There is another way to think of it.
You turn your wheels because it gives something for you to lean against "forwards", so your forward balancing "push" doesn't also push the bike forwards. You also turn the wheel to prevent moving.
You can probably try practicing on a small incline so that you only have to think about leaning forward and finding the right balance point.
Once you can do it on an incline, it would be easier to learn the rear foot dynamics.
Just a thought.