Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Short time to train - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 02:51 PM
mediamst

Bikes: Stumpjumper Pro, Building new Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short time to train - Need advice

I have been riding about 2 days a week, about 15-20 miles each day for a month or so.

On June 22 and 23 I have a ride I am doing. It is 50 miles a day for two days. I did my longest ride on tuesday of 33 miles. I was pretty beat after the ride and have not rode since to recover completly. Any suggestions for effective way to train in the limited time I have left? How many miles to do on what days and how long to rest in between?

Thanks for any input.
Old 05-31-07, 03:07 PM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
since your event is a back-to-back, I would suggest that you try to do the 33 miler again and follow it up the next day with a 15 or 20 mile ride. Just get your muscles used to doing back to back days, since it doesn't sound like you're riding that frequently now. Rest or do a light ride on the weekend of the 15th - 17th, but try to get in at least another 30 mile ride on the 1st/2nd and maybe a 40 mile ride on the weekedn of the 8th/9th.

Any particular reasons why your frequency is 2 days a week? Busy schedule? Recovery in between rides? Are you doing any other exercise on the days that you aren't biking? Personally, I think that 2 days a week is a little on the low side, and I'd increase your frequency a little more just to improve your general conditioning. It doesn't have to be 15/20 miles a day if the time is working against you. You could do a shorter, more intense 10 mile day to help with strength and speed if you don't have the time for a longer ride mid-week.
Old 05-31-07, 04:56 PM
mediamst

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been pretty busy at work and would come home and it would be getting dark so I wouldnt ride. No excuses. I think your plan is a good one and was right along the lines of what I was thinking. Thanks for helping.
Old 05-31-07, 10:53 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are your muscles getting tired, or is it your aerobic capacity? For me, my muscles always give out well before, but I've done a lot of distance running and have relatively good endurance.

When I don't have time for a longer ride I do something short and hilly. It's the best way to get a workout in, guaranteed.

Because it's back to back 50 milers, I would, as a prep, try to be able to do at least one 50 mile ride before hand. If you can do one, doing two in two days may not be bad. As an above poster said, Getting your body used to riding every day will help a lot. After you do a long ride of 30-40 miles, do a shorter one of 10 or so the next day.
Old 06-01-07, 04:36 AM
mediamst

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Muscles get tired. Aerobicly I feel okay. I think part of my problem too is that when I get on my bike I ride really hard (for me) the whole time. I think I need to relax a little more at the beginning and not blow my load so to speak right off the bat. I may have more endurance later in the ride this way.

I am going to give this a try on saturday and see if I can do a 50 on saturday.
Old 06-01-07, 08:41 AM
jotog
Ride simple.

Bikes: vitus 979, g fisher, specialized, trek, bridgestone rb1, Trek SS, Hiawatha SS, 54' Schwinn SS, Trek SS CX conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
water and cadence and joy
Old 06-01-07, 08:47 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
In addition to the above comments, make sure you're doing the following:

- stretch for 10-15 minutes before and after your rides
- drink 500 - 750ml of water per hour, and drink before you ride
- consume ~250 calories per hour (carbs), and eat before you ride (lots o' carbs, 1-2 hours before)

Dehydration is obviously something you want to avoid. You need the carbs because after about an hour of moderate activity, you've used up all your readily available fuel, and when your brain runs out of fuel you bonk -- a singularly unpleasant experience.

Energy drinks are a good way
Old 06-01-07, 04:57 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would try to do two long rides on Saterday and Sunday plus a shorter intense mid-week ride if you can.

I would try to do 50 miles on Saterday followed by 40-45 miles at a very slow pace (3-4 mph slower) on Sunday to recover.

If you can do 33 miles you can probaly do 50 at 1-2 mph slower pace. Between these two weekend rides you should be able to get an idea of what pace you can complete your 50 mile back to back days at. Midweek ride as hard as you can for at least 60 minutes but preferably 90 minutes.

Also, do not rest more than 2-3 days for recovery or you will loose significant fitness. Strength gains can be achieved after three days rest but endurance usually goes down after more than two days off.

Last edited by Hezz; 06-01-07 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-03-07, 06:23 PM
dekindy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are you riding on flat ground now and your 50-milers have substantial hills? If this is the case you are going to have a tough time especially if it is a hot day. If the 50 miles is the same terrain as you ride now then it may be okay.

Are you riding of an evening now and will have to ride during the heat of the day? You might want a sweat band and don't forget sunscreen. The heat will also drain your energy and you need to anticipate that.

Also riding 50 miles is much different than 15-20 in terms of eating and drinking. You are going to have to eat and drink a lot more and do it before you get hungry and thirsty or you will run out of energy after 2 hours. You need to do at least a 3-hour ride and eat and drink to get somewhat used to it.

Is this a supported ride with food/rest stops or are you going to need to take your own? If you need to take your own you are going to need two large water bottles or a Camelbak and some food to take along. Breakfast bars that will not melt or trail mix would be good. You may want to think about Gatorade in your bottles also. Fignewtons in plastic packs would be good.

Do you have shorts and a jersey? The comfort factor for that long a ride comes into play significantly. You want to have a good chamois in your shorts and a jersey to wick moisture if it is a hot day and pockets to carry food if needed. How about shoes, any hot spots on your feet?

What pace are you riding now? Is there a minimum pace suggested for the ride?

Good luck!
Old 06-04-07, 06:39 AM
mediamst

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very good points. It is a supported ride. The terrain is mostly flat and I have been riding some hills for conditioning. Since my last post I did another 30 mile ride and plan on doing a 40 and 30 this week.
Old 06-04-07, 07:01 AM
ivegotabike
Seek the Joy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ride
more