Old 03-06-18, 12:41 PM
amchef

Bikes: Felt Z3, Rocky Mountain Vertex 950

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycle Oregon Weekender 2018 - Eugene

Anyone riding this year? This will be my first time in the event. Cool to see it in Eugene.
Old 03-06-18, 02:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by amchef
Anyone riding this year? This will be my first time in the event. Cool to see it in Eugene.
Thanks for posting. I'll have to think about it. It should give a taste of Cycle Oregon without breaking the bank.
Old 03-07-18, 11:51 PM
Reco Very
bikenut

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Looks like a fun weekend.
Old 03-08-18, 09:28 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Wonder if they will show "Animal House" that weekend. Much of it was filed at the university. I have done four of what they now call the "Classic." In 2007 we spent the night just outside Cottage Grove. There were shuttles to take us into town. Main St. was where the homecoming parade scenes were filmed. You could still see a restaurant sign that shows up very briefly in one scene. That night, back at camp, they showed the film outside on a lawn.
Old 03-08-18, 12:13 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Was this the same ride that was canceled in 2017 because of all the smoke in the air?
Looks like they also have A GRAVEL ride OCT 5-7, 2018 in Timber, OR.

Last years ride was going to be 7 days at $1000.Now they have two shorter rides at
$225 each.

Oh and the smoke was bad last summer.I left the valley and headed south for about A month.

The youth event looks like A nice event for the kids.

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...wildfires.html

Last edited by Joeyseven; 03-08-18 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-08-18, 03:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven
Was this the same ride that was canceled in 2017 because of all the smoke in the air?
The week long ride was cancelled last year due to smoke. They still have a week long ride this year. It's the Classic. As far as I can tell, it's a re-tread of a route they did not that all that long ago. Last year was to have been a repeat, with one small variation (not starting and ending in Sisters), of the route they did in 2007. Great route that included Crater Lake, Aufderheide and McKenzie Pass.

I heard a while back that the actual production of the event is now contracted out to a company. That might explain the route recycling of entire routes.

As noted above, I have done four of them. Last one was in 2012. First one was in 2002. That was the Bataan Death March. We crossed the entire state in six days of riding. I did the 117 mile option on day three. Someone had a heart attack and died right on the road while climbing a really long, gradual climb on the 70 mile regular route. Day 4 the only route was a century to Sisters. All those days were crispy critter hot. Then we did McKenzie Pass after a day off in Sisters. IIRC, I averaged a bit over 90 miles/day.

The first night we camped in a cattle field a mile or so from the nearest highway. There were dried cow pies around. Temperature dipped below freezing. Ice on the tent fly when I woke up. The third night was the craziest. Another ranch campsite. "Tent City" was down in a dusty bowl, and it was breezy. I remember arriving relatively late after the 117 day and looking down into the bowl. Dust was swirling everywhere. I looked like one of those Sudanese refuge camps you see on the national news. I couldn't deal so I went to eat dinner. Finally pitched my tent. A fine dirt got on everything you touched. Had it rained, the place would have been one giant mud pit.

Another interesting thing was to observe the demeanor of the participants as the ride wore on. During the final two days people were really tired. Good number of people getting short with each other on the rode and in camp. I got $100 that says they will never repeat that route again.
Old 03-08-18, 04:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Oh... It looks like the "Tour de Lane" has been cancelled.

https://www.tourdelane.com/

So, perhaps I'll have to think about the weekender.

The Blackberry Bramble, however, is still on (which is the last leg of the Tour de Lane)
Blackberry bRamble ? GEARs