Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-05, 06:16 PM
bamaboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'- 230 I ride a TREK here in Northwest ALABAMA, mostly by myself not alot of riders here in hickville. From what I read on here from some of you, hillclimbing is tough on you. Well it's a state of mind over muscle. During warm weather whatever the temp 60- 110, 30-40 miles a day(alot of long hills)at around 20mph average. Riding by myself you have to self motivate. I have certain riders around who I've asked to ride with but the answer is tooo many hills on my rides. The way I look at it, to go downhill you've first got to climb.
Old 12-13-05, 06:18 PM
bamaboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh yeah stay in the seat
Old 12-13-05, 09:46 PM
scottmorrison99
New! With Self Loathing!

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikezilla
Jimblairo, your courage and determination in the face of cancer & chemo is awesome! I'm going to borrow a bit of your spirit to re-motivate my own cycling.
That goes for me too, word for word. Jimblairo, you rock.

Weird Bike Guy Blog
Old 12-14-05, 12:06 AM
cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bamaboy
oh yeah stay in the seat
Rubber side down. Don't want to forget that.

Steve
Old 12-27-05, 01:42 PM
roadrayge

Bikes: old Panasonic, Giant OCR 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'm still building up my base mileage, i put in about 600 miles on an old Panasonic frame bike, but for reasons of blowing the front spoke twice in about 4 months, i got sick of taking it for "quickie" repairs that left me on the side of the road. I'm 5'9'' at 215 lbs. Got this OCR 2 yesterday and i'm pretty happy with it. It's a nice upgrade from the Panasonic frame with downtube shifters. Gotta put in a couple hundred miles and i'll let you all know how it feels.
Old 12-27-05, 01:54 PM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats!!! Nice bike!!!

Is that bag put on correctly? I thought it was supposed to fit directly under the seat. It looks like you may get alot of movement from the bag with it installed that way. Just an observation.

Enjoy the bike!
Old 12-27-05, 04:15 PM
cruncher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking of bags on bikes; Is it better to wear a hydration pack with emergency tube, co2 cartridge etc . in it or keep this on a bike bag? I was thinking while riding laps around a 10 mile track, I may not need to carry it all. During longer rides I may want to take the Hydration pack and the emergency tool kit in my backpack.
Old 12-27-05, 11:51 PM
roadrayge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah i think i messed up with the bag on the seat, i'll adjust it tomorrow before the ride. Thanks!!!
Old 12-28-05, 12:17 AM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrayge
yeah i think i messed up with the bag on the seat, i'll adjust it tomorrow before the ride. Thanks!!!
Yeah, you'll probably have to lower that reflector down on the seatpost or removed like most do. The straps on the bag go through saddle seat rails then connect underneath the bag. It should fit close to the saddle.
Old 12-28-05, 01:06 AM
peripheral

Bikes: Trek 2100 & Trek 5900 SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to weigh around 250-260 lbs. but I started riding everyday and lost a ton of weight. I know weigh 170 lbs. Cycling saved my life! And I got a great/healthy hobby out of it.

Last edited by peripheral; 12-28-05 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-28-05, 11:13 AM
roadrayge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you must of meant 250-260 lbs??? how much time did it take for you to loose all that weight??? how many times a week would you ride and for how long?? thanks
Old 12-28-05, 11:23 AM
peripheral

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I'm an idiot! Of course I typed that at 4:00 in the morning, so you'll have to excuse my error! I started riding in the spring of '02 I believe and by the end of the summer I was pretty lean. I was just eating salads and avoiding all bad foods (which was surprisingly easy when you're on a mission). Mind of matter! That's the toughest part. So I'd go to this bike trail just about everyday and ride roughly 20 miles a day. And as I got better and my equipment improved, I now ride 40 miles a day (in the summer). In the winter, I don't ride as much because I'm inside on a trainer and it's a lot tougher and more boring! But that's my story. Do you ride often?
Old 12-28-05, 12:32 PM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't want to hear any more success stories

Lets start with the slouches!!!

I ride when I want to, I eat whatever I want...If I was 200+ I wouldn't care much, as long as I'm cycling and having fun.
Old 12-28-05, 01:08 PM
peripheral

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry! I'm just trying to express my gratitude for the Bicycle. It changed my life. I wasn't putting anyone down who is 200+, I was just saying that it aided me in my goal of weight loss!
Old 12-28-05, 01:17 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peripheral
Sorry! I'm just trying to express my gratitude for the Bicycle. It changed my life. I wasn't putting anyone down who is 200+, I was just saying that it aided me in my goal of weight loss!
No need to apologize. You've done a great job going from 260 down to 170lbs. Of course, that means that you are no longer a Clydesale. So get outta here. Go join weight weenies or the skinny bicycle fairy club!
Old 12-28-05, 01:54 PM
peripheral

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha! Ok, I'm on way to the skinny weenies club. Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-28-05, 02:20 PM
ovoleg