Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How much should you ride when sick?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-03-07, 02:04 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts

How do you know when you shouldn't ride? Is putting in a few miles likely to do more good or harm if you're not capable of doing a real ride?

People who know me sometimes hear me say "the most important time to be out there is when you don't want to be" because I figure it will help me be mentally prepared for anything I might need to deal with. Also, I find that exercise usually makes me feel better if I'm not quite at 100%.

I rarely get sick, but every few years, I absolutely finish myself off with a ride -- i.e. practically collapse with my head in a fog when I enter the house, not get up for hours, and am almost totally out of commission for a few days. I don't like being off my bike and I generally like to do what I can, but I can't tell when I'd just be better off doing nothing for awhile.
Old 02-03-07, 02:23 PM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The "ride when you don't want to" has more to do with psychological state than health state. If you've got an infection - coughing up colored flem, have a fever - REST.
Old 02-03-07, 02:31 PM
VegaVixen

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you've got a trainer, ride that at a recovery-ride clip. Or, do some light weight training. Some activity can't hurt, and can raise endorphins to help you feel better. Too much, though, could put you down. Listen to your body. If you feel lousy, and cycling doesn't pay your bills, lie low 'til you feel better.
Old 02-03-07, 02:42 PM
mimis
3 summits of Athens

Bikes: SCOTT AFD/KLEIN MANTRA/BMC SSX Streetfire

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a doc and a cycle addict. So far i've had no deterioration of any mild virus infection (common cold) whenever i took a not manic-paced ride.Finishing the ride i felt much more vigorous! Don't ride though if you're having fever, serious headaches, nausea, photophobia,total exhaustion or other flu symptoms, it's a further stress to a struggling immune system.
Old 02-03-07, 02:46 PM
rog
militant buddhist

Bikes: '08 Scott CR-1 Pro, '02 Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mimis
Don't ride though if you're having ... photophobia
Huh? I'll admit, I'm not especially photogenic...

Seriously, what?
Old 02-03-07, 02:54 PM
VegaVixen

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rog
Huh? I'll admit, I'm not especially photogenic...

Seriously, what?
Light makes your eyes water and/or hurts them, if you're photophobic.
Old 02-04-07, 09:21 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by bdcheung
The "ride when you don't want to" has more to do with psychological state than health state.
Not in my case. I always want to ride. When I say that, I really mean that it's important to ride when you have excuses not to.
Old 02-04-07, 09:25 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bdcheung
The "ride when you don't want to" has more to do with psychological state than health state. If you've got an infection - coughing up colored flem, have a fever - REST.

I agree. Otherwise ride if you want to. Your body will tell you if/when you're too sick to ride. I typically can ride through most colds. Missed one day due to illness over the past two seasons. But I did ride many times with some fairly nasty colds. Another symptom that keeps me off the bike is if I feel achy/flu-like symptoms or weakness. That's what made me pull the plug on a ride about two months ago. But stuffy head/cough/sore throat - the ride generally makes me feel better.
Old 06-19-07, 03:09 PM
mediamst

Bikes: Stumpjumper Pro, Building new Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ΩΩΩΩ