Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Chicago to Kenosha Bike Route

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 06:59 AM
mediamst

Bikes: Stumpjumper Pro, Building new Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am thinking about doing this trip. Has anyone here doe it and is it safe? I have heard that you go through some bad parts of town past Wuakegan near the Naval Base etc. Any input?
Old 11-08-07, 08:25 AM
BetweenRides
Dog Chaser

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Seven Evergreen, Merlin Cyrene, Trek TCT 5000, Trek Checkpoint

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live quite a bit west of the city, so I've only done it on the North Shore Century. Yes it does go through a seriously seedy area if memory serves. You might contact the folks that put on the North Shore for their route or perhaps a more local rider can give you an alternate route.
Old 11-08-07, 10:43 AM
rsd212

Bikes: Ridley CX, '86 Schwinn Prelude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted this exact thread not too long ago, wanting to go from Roger's Park to Kenosha up Sheridan. Basically the answer was yes, it is possible (getting off Sheridan and onto Green Bay for a while), but not very fun. Bad roads, bad neighborhoods...

Check out the VCR team website and look at the Hwy 50 ride. It takes you from the north suburbs to Kenosha on some fairly decent roads. To get to the starting point you can pretty much use Sheridan and Green Bay roads, or the bike paths (there's a description of how to do it all on bike paths somewhere, cant find it right now).
Old 11-09-07, 06:12 PM
BikingGrad80
that bike nut

Bikes: 2010 Motobecane Immortal Force 90' Trek 1400; 90' Trek 850; 06' Trek 520; 01 Iron Horse Victory

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Here is my Route

From the Skokie Valley Bikeway I go west on Old Elm/Everett to St. Mary's. Saint Mary's to a series of side streets just south of Buckley. Then Oplaine north to Old Grand. Old Grand east to Delany. Delany north to Wadsworth. Wadsworth west to Kilborne. Then North on Kilborne into Wisconsin. A pretty nice route. The only unpleasant area I'd say is Delany around Rt 41. It is a 4 lane busy street.
Old 11-09-07, 07:52 PM
brotherdan
This user is a pipebomb

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2001, GT ZR3000 2001, Raleigh One Way 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've biked that route in both directions, and I don't think there is anything that you are likely to encounter, from bad roads to bad neighborhoods, that would make that route at all undesirable.