Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-15, 10:29 AM
JohnHuth

Bikes: Madrone hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi -

I'm new to the forum, and joined hoping to get advice from time-to-time on possible routes and conditions. Mainly I bicycle commute from my house in Newton to Harvard. I commute mostly year-round, except when conditions are exceptionally bad. Right now, I'm on my studded snow tires.

I thought of joining partly because I see some problem intersections along my commute, but also will often do errands on bikes, and sometimes need to find safe routes. E.g. I visited my daughter who is living in Mission Hill and biked from Harvard - not the easiest cross-city commute in the dark. It went fine, but that's an example of what I do.
Old 12-29-15, 10:50 AM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 890 Posts
Welcome, John!

rod
Old 12-29-15, 01:10 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnHuth
Hi -

I'm new to the forum, and joined hoping to get advice from time-to-time on possible routes and conditions. Mainly I bicycle commute from my house in Newton to Harvard. I commute mostly year-round, except when conditions are exceptionally bad. Right now, I'm on my studded snow tires.

I thought of joining partly because I see some problem intersections along my commute, but also will often do errands on bikes, and sometimes need to find safe routes. E.g. I visited my daughter who is living in Mission Hill and biked from Harvard - not the easiest cross-city commute in the dark. It went fine, but that's an example of what I do.
Hi John,

Welcome from me also as an occasional subscriber to this thread since it began in 2009. I have described it previously on another thread:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...Several of us post frequently, and we all know of each other, as well as the region, though we may ride in different sectors. I have described the Metro Boston thread as “apres-cycling,” like après-ski, where we get together after riding to exchange stories and pictures, and occasionally razz each other.
I'm a year round commuter from Kenmore Square to Norwood, and I enjoy looking at maps to find routes. Noting you are on studded tires indicates a Seriousness of Purpose. I'm hoping to get mine on today, since I was lulled by the dry streets so far. Do you know the City well? I'm sure we are all are glad to give any advice.

JfB
Old 12-29-15, 01:46 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Mainly I bicycle commute from my house in Newton to Harvard. I visited my daughter who is living in Mission Hill and biked from Harvard - not the easiest cross-city commute in the dark.
Harvard, the town? or Harvard, meaning the vicinity of Harvard U in Cambridge? guess it's obvious, sorry. how about lights? got any?
Old 12-29-15, 02:24 PM
JohnHuth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry about that - Cambridge, Harvard U/Harvard Square.

Lights - forward - have one on my helmet to inspect things in the dark, and one on my handlebars that flashes to warn oncoming. Rear - one bright red under the seat, different modes, one on the helmet - red pulsing with also a yellow sidelight. Also just got lights for wheel spokes for side visibility and finally *just* got bright yellow gloves with reflecting strips.
Old 12-29-15, 02:32 PM
JohnHuth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got studded tires about 10 years ago, but they're holding up pretty well. I typically swap them on mid-November, just in case of a sudden freeze up - I figure the extra rolling friction is worth the added safety. I swap them off mid-April - again just being cautious. When I take them off....wow....I feel like I'm flying like the wind.

The city...hmm...I've ridden different sections, can't say that I know the entire city, but I know what streets are reasonably good and have some sense of how to pick out routes to get from one place to another safely, and then also know some of the more serious danger areas.

I guess the Newton and Cambridge area I know pretty well, also Brookline and then the Longwood/Kenmore/Fenway area. Mainly thinking good bike routes and obvious streets and intersections to avoid.

Be happy to exchange stories. I have a few intersections I am not fond of, but cannot avoid. Fortunately I have the timing of the lights well memorized and have my strategies for crossing them.
Old 12-29-15, 06:51 PM
Jim from Boston

Hi again, John,

I found a thread from April of this year on the Commuting Forum, ”Car free and Newbie bike commuter in Boston... advice?,” and here’s a summary of various advice about Boston Cycle Commuting

Originally Posted by btothek
Just relocated to Boston and I am car free and plan to bike commute starting tomorrow.

I am going between the South End (via Mass Ave?) to the Allston area just south of Cambridge (via Comm Ave?) and I've explored a lot of routes via maps.google etc..

I was wondering if anyone local to the area could advise on my route and any Boston-centric tips for bike commuters here…

I did a test run the other day, Mass ave is a little crazy. Making a left onto Comm ave seemed out of the question. Missed my left onto Beacon because I didn't know where I was. Ended up in Cambridge!

I took the Dudley path back to South End from Allston, longer and full of runners and very narrow. Made me pine for the Chicago Lake Front path.

Just some very early impressions. I'd love anyone's input about this.
…My main survival strategies for Boston are to ride early (and fortunately outbound) from downtown, and to wear at least one rearview mirror; I wear two, left and right, particularly useful for making left turns from the left turn lane.

After almost 40 years riding around here, I'm proud to know almost every part of the Metro area. Regarding your specific commute, I started to look at Mapquest, and other than the Paul Dudley White Bike path, or going way out of your way, you're just going to have to adapt to urban riding, unless you can map out an intricate maze on residential streets through Brookline, but still requiring some commercial roads.

BTW, while searching Mapquest, I was distracted because I was on hold calling in to the Howie Carr Talk Show on WRKO. The topic was Howie’s column in response to the video linked to this thread on the Advocacy & Safety subforum, ”Is there widespread hatred of cyclists?”.

(I'm a talk show fan, and my screen name is the opening line when I (rarely) call in..."and now here's Jim from Boston...What's up, Jim?.")
Originally Posted by grolby
...As for the rest of your route into Allston, Comm Ave is one of the simplest ways to go, but it is also one of the more dangerous roads in the city because of the combination of lots of traffic and over-privileged BU students parking in bike lanes. And if you need to keep following Comm Ave when you get to Packard's Corner, you need to merge left. Again, doable, but it requires some bravery.

I do this stuff pretty regularly and don't feel unsafe, but I don't know what your level of experience is
. The route you are taking now covers some of the most intimidating roads in the city. Heading down to the Charles River bike path might be a little out of the way but might make for an easier, safer alternative. There's no shame in that - I'll take a bike path whenever I reasonably can. The relief from auto traffic is nice.

Nicely said, and my thoughts exactly when I was looking at a map trying to figure out a route. It's hard to suggest routes if one does not know the level of expertise of the rider; I'm pretty comfortable riding in Boston, but I still seek to ride as early in the morning as possible…
Originally Posted by Coluber42
I'm also in the Boston area, and am happy to answer specific questions via PM or whatever...

One piece of advice is, try out a variety of routes and try them all in both directions. Sometimes what works best in one direction isn't the same as the best route in the other direction, even if there aren't one-way streets involved (although you've probably noticed that we have a few of those!). Commuting at off-peak times, either before rush hour or after, also makes a big difference, although you may or may not have the flexibility to do that.

But keep at it, and don't get discouraged. The Boston area actually is very convenient to get around by bike; it just takes a bit of getting used to. But there are lots of great advocacy efforts going on and more bike infrastructure going in all the time. And they do a good enough job with plowing in general that you really can do it year-round if you figure out your clothing needs.

Good luck, and welcome!
Originally Posted by mtalinm
It would be easier for us to help you if you were less vague than "South End to Allston." Not asking for your home & work address, but how about a couple of nearby intersections?
Originally Posted by bikemig
I miss a lot of things about Boston but not the traffic! It is something else.

Originally Posted by noglider
Ain't that the truth! I grew up in NYC and lived in Boston for three years. NYC is a place where there is a lot of bad driving, but it is unquestionably worse in Boston. Something else is a good term for it.

@btothek, you can get tons of good advice here, and it will be truly good, but only time and your own experimentation will bring the best answers. I asked Google how to cycle from the South End to Allston. It gave three routes. The direct one is along Commonwealth and Brighton Avenues. I know them well, and they kinda suck. The other routes are nicer but longer. I might take them if I were you.

When I lived in Boston, I tended to take direct routes, but I'm older now, and I know how to enjoy life a little better. You live in a good place to be car free. Congratulations on choosing well.
As far as urban cycling in general, I liked this exchange:

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
...Cycling is incredibly safe for those who choose to make it so. Staying sober while riding, using decent lights/reflectors at night, not riding salmon-style and staying clear of door zones are among the ways one can keep it safe. When we choose to do otherwise, and I have done so at times, we should at least own those decisions.

… Nicely stated @B. Carfree, especially your list of basic rules. My axiom for the door zone is ”Like a weapon, consider a stopped vehicle loaded, with an occupant ready to exit from either side” (when I filter ).. One not specifically in your list is, “When riding at night, look for cars, not just headlights.

Also important to me is Jim’s Law of the Road, ”No matter how well-paved and lightly-traveled the Road, a vehicle is likely to pass you on the left, as you encounter an obstacle on the right.” That’s my justification to wear a rearview mirror, my premier decision for safety. That's the most salient advice I give to the statement, "I'm afraid to ride in traffic."
Another safety tip I recently implemented is:

…On your video, it seemed the driver came in from the right side. I have for years sought out something for side illumination. A couple weeks ago an article in the Boston Globe reported something to the effect that illumination of the pedaling motion is more effective than a simply flashing light to signal a cyclist.

It just so happened...this afternoon I was at REI, and bought a set of a small red and white light that look like they can easily and securely fit onto my reflective ankle straps. I figure I will use the red one directly behind my left ankle for traffic behind me, and the white one on the lateral side of my right ankle. I can’t say it might have helped prevent your crash, but it a simple add-on…
Finally, I hope I don't sound like a know-it-all, and this is Too Much Information, but one of my proudest mentions on BF,

Originally Posted by Stun
…The best advice often comes from cyclists that live the closest to you...The exception here would also be Jim from Boston--anyone that can successfully commute around Boston has my full respect and probably knows how to deal with about every intersection imaginable!
Old 12-30-15, 01:47 AM
randomgear

Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mission Hill to Harvard Sq:
west along Huntington Ave, under the overpass at the Riverway/Jamaicaway,
right onto River Road,
Right onto Brookline Ave
Left onto the contraflow bike lane on Parkway Drive
Right onto Netherlands Rd for about 75 yards
Left onto the Muddy River Path* (labeled as "Emerald Necklace" on google maps) *the path is unlit at night. If you don't care to ride on dark paths at night an alternate route is: from Brookline Ave take a left onto Aspinwall, right onto Kent St, right onto Longwood Ave, Left onto Chapel St)
Exit the path at the Longwood T station (either bike the wheelchair ramp or carry your bike over the stairs)
Right onto Chapel St (it turns into Colchester St) *pick up alternate route here
cross Beacon St
Turn left onto the contraflow bike lane on Ivy St
Turn right onto Essex
At the Essex St porkchop, ride onto the concrete porkchop
use the bike crossing (resembles a crosswalk) to make a left onto Mountfort St.
Cross Comm ave onto the BU Bridge.
Straight through the rotary being careful of turning cars
Right onto Putnam Ave - reasonably traffic calmed street
Putnam Ave takes you to where Mt Auburn St and Mass Ave intersect.
Left onto Mass Ave to Harvard Square.

Last edited by randomgear; 12-30-15 at 01:51 AM.
Old 12-30-15, 08:14 AM
Jim from Boston

December 30, 2015
  • Beater Mountain Bike with studded tires
  • Windscreen gogles
  • Balaclava
  • Winter jacket
  • Heavyweight outer tights
  • Full-fingered windproof glaves
  • Shoe covers
A’yup…S’wintah in Bahstan.

It was 25°F this morning, not to complain, but it looks like the carbon fiber bike is going into storage. On another thread, about expensive bikes, I got into a debate about riding it in winter after salting, and I’m even considering a second lesser road bike for otherwise dry but salted roads,

…Because the beater bike is a drudge to ride…

… Last year, I thought about a second lesser quality road bike to ride on dry, but salted roads... My wife nixed the idea of three bikes in the condo…The reason I want a second tier, (but not crappy) road bike is for a nicer ride, without too much remorse about messing it up.

I started to look at second tier road bikes. My trusted mechanic suggested an aluminum BMC costing about $1500, with upgraded components and 25 C tires. That would then become a year-round beater/rain bike, and the mountain bike would become the most severe winter ride. I think if I promised to store the carbon fiber bike away during the winter, and mountain bike during the nice weather, my wife might allow that...
Today’s report on the Jamaica Pond Bikepath is that it was mostly clear with some glare ice patches at least, and I had to walk the bike over three short patches of frozen, deeply rutted snow, each not more than about 10 yards long.

BTW, regarding snow and ice, I came upon an interesting and amusing treatise, "A Lexicon of Urban Edmonton Ices" by Robert Clinton, as cited by BF member @TuckamoreDew. The obstacles on the JP Bikepath I described would be termed "Crevasse."

Finally, today I came to recognize another road hazard particularly prevalent in winter. About a week ago I almost ran into a jogger running on a darkened street in my direction on my path. She was wearing a yellow light, though somewhat dim as I recall, at chest level. I typically tend to fixate on the immediate road surface ahead.

Now this AM in the daylight, I watched as a pedestrian was gingerly walking on the frozen snow-rutted sidewalk. I am now aware that I must keep my head up and look farther ahead since the peds will be taking to our far right side of the street. After all, this is prime training time for the Boston Marathon, so HEADS UP!.

Actually heads up is a habit I continuously try to implement.

I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work. I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving. So when the commute is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-30-15 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-30-15, 09:52 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Finally, today I came to recognize another road hazard particularly prevalent in winter...
so HEADS UP!.
Good point. An unexpected road hazard I've encountered regularly for the last month is cars parked in unexpected places, in particular on wide shoulders where "no one ever parks" because all houses have driveways because overnight parking is prohibited. Heads up!
Old 12-30-15, 09:57 AM
JohnHuth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Jim from Boston!! Quite helpful.

Regarding direct routes - I instinctively stay away from heavily used streets, or only use them as brief conduits to less used streets. That area around BU I treat with a huge amount of caution - deadly!

The ice-rain today wasn't so bad with the studded tires - they are miracles.

On ski-goggles - for me the biggest issue is that my eyes tear up when I get out in cold weather, so the goggles help, but once my body temp starts to get everything warm, the goggle begin to fog up. I just then pull them down to my neck and carry on.

There's a website I found that is supposed to help a person map bike routes from one place to another, but I found it's not 100% effective at tracing out safe routes. In Newton, there's this place my kids call "the circle of death" and that's just for automobile drivers. I was horrified when I saw that this website directed me over the circle of death for my commute - I decided to treat that website with a lot of caution.
Old 12-30-15, 10:02 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Where is the "c of d"?
Old 12-30-15, 10:37 AM
Jim from Boston

Thanks, Jim from Boston!! Quite helpful.

Regarding direct routes - I instinctively stay away from heavily used streets, or only use them as brief conduits to less used streets. That area around BU I treat with a huge amount of caution - deadly!

The ice-rain today wasn't so bad with the studded tires - they are miracles.

On ski-goggles - for me the biggest issue is that my eyes tear up when I get out in cold weather, so the goggles help, but once my body temp starts to get everything warm, the goggle begin to fog up. I just then pull them down to my neck and carry on.

There's a website I found that is supposed to help a person map bike routes from one place to another, but I found it's not 100% effective at tracing out safe routes. In Newton, there's this place my kids call "the circle of death" and that's just for automobile drivers. I was horrified when I saw that this website directed me over the circle of death for my commute - I decided to treat that website with a lot of caution.
I also perennially post about the problem of fogging, endorsed by @chefissac.

Originally Posted by chefisaac
LISTEN to @Jim from Boston

he knows his $hit!
See also this post.

I occasionally ride the rotary in Dedham with on-and off ramps from East Street onto I-95, An acquaintance who lives near there calls it the ”Devil’s Rotary.”

I use both left and right rearview mirrors, in my case Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted ones… The additional right hand mirror affords a pretty good rearward view, but is particularly useful:
  • Riding on the left-hand side of a one-way street
  • Riding in the middle or left lanes of a two-way thoroughfare
  • In a rotary

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-30-15 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-30-15, 10:51 AM
JohnHuth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Where is the "c of d"?
The "circle of death":

It's in Newton Corner - just off of exit 17 on the Mass Pike. The Crown Plaza hotel is inside the 'circle'. It's not a rotary as you might be accustomed to think of it, but it does function that way with radiating spokes. Unfortunately it is complete mayhem to drive through. I could not imagine for one second trying to bike through it, and yet, the online router would have me take it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Circle of death.jpg (86.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 12-30-15, 12:29 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

huh? what? somebody say rotary? ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgH8fxC_x3Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDKlczCAHwU
Old 12-30-15, 02:06 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

The "circle of death":

It's in Newton Corner - just off of exit 17 on the Mass Pike.
Ah. Having lived in Watertown for a few years and now in Waltham for several decades, I'm quite familiar with it. I've never ridden a bike through there but I suspect you could negotiate it pretty easily. Okay, it would take some courage. You can always dismount and take the pedestrian crosswalks to the other side.
Old 12-30-15, 02:12 PM
JohnHuth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Okay, it would take some courage.
It would!

I'd dismount and use the traffic lights to my advantage. I can't imagine biking and changing lanes in that place. In any case, I simply avoid it, as there are plenty of other ways to get by.
Old 12-31-15, 05:02 AM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
The "circle of death":

It's in Newton Corner - just off of exit 17 on the Mass Pike. The Crown Plaza hotel is inside the 'circle'. It's not a rotary as you might be accustomed to think of it, but it does function that way with radiating spokes. Unfortunately it is complete mayhem to drive through. I could not imagine for one second trying to bike through it, and yet, the online router would have me take it.
Geez - I hate driving through that. I can't imagine cycling through there.

With respect to your goggles fogging, there's a product that skiers use to prevent fogging in their goggles. I haven't used it personally, so I can't comment on its effectiveness, but you may want to check it out. The name escapes me, but any ski shop should have some.
Old 12-31-15, 08:23 AM
JohnHuth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the rotary vids - that Concord Rotary is a little hair-raising, but the Circle of Death, particularly if you have to get from Centre St to Galen is crazy!

I'll look into the anti-fogging stuff - good idea, thanks!
Old 01-01-16, 12:19 AM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Rode 34 miles on my single speed this last afternoon of the year. The roads through Sherborn, Dover and Westwood were slightly narrowed by snow and otherwise clear. Lots of puddles and melt so I was glad this bike has fenders and 35c tires. The tires aren't elegant or supple and are a little mushy but they are a softer ride over bumpy pavement. Happy New Year everyone!
Old 01-01-16, 09:57 AM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 890 Posts
Happy New Year! Many happy turns of the wheels to us all.

rod
Old 01-01-16, 11:00 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
Rode 34 miles on my single speed this last afternoon of the year. The roads through Sherborn, Dover and Westwood were slightly narrowed by snow and otherwise clear. Lots of puddles and melt so I was glad this bike has fenders and 35c tires. The tires aren't elegant or supple and are a little mushy but they are a softer ride over bumpy pavement. Happy New Year everyone!
it had warmed up so you were probably able to avoid any ice?
Old 01-02-16, 05:16 PM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
it had warmed up so you were probably able to avoid any ice?
Ayup. No ice. Today I chose not to ride because of concern about ice. I don't bounce the way I used to.
Old 01-02-16, 05:21 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

We took the tandem out today, got .68 miles and decided the ice potential was just too much of a risk.
Old 01-02-16, 05:42 PM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bummer Jim, no ice problems here today, but a bit chilly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.