Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Serve of humble pie?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Serve of humble pie?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-12, 09:14 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Serve of humble pie?

For at least two years now I've been commuting about 8 miles each way. I just wear cotton shorts commando. Now suddenly I notice some chaffing at the upper inside legs area. Not serious, but just like the hairs have all been partially pulled from their roots and I now have lots of little bumps. My legs are fairly hairy :-/

Initial thoughts are that my legs may have become more muscular and now rub more on the nose of the seat than has occurred in the past.

Should I eat humble pie and buy some bike shorts? I prefer the simplicity of riding in my everyday shorts. I could get some boxer style underwear perhaps. Have I correctly diagnosed the problem?
Old 07-17-12, 11:01 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Well, if it's not a problem, you could just keep doing that. It takes the shedding of some self-consciousness to wear bike shorts, but they are nice.

BTW, are/were you into air-cooled VWs at one point? The username sounds familiar.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-17-12, 11:10 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think your problem is too much friction in the affected area. I would suggest shaving your legs in that area and applying petroleum jelly. I would then either wear thigh length silk underwear along with my cargo or commando shorts, or I'd switch to bike shorts and a smooth strap.

Last edited by SlimRider; 07-17-12 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-17-12, 11:39 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 009jim
For at least two years now I've been commuting about 8 miles each way. I just wear cotton shorts commando. Now suddenly I notice some chaffing at the upper inside legs area. Not serious, but just like the hairs have all been partially pulled from their roots and I now have lots of little bumps. My legs are fairly hairy :-/

Initial thoughts are that my legs may have become more muscular and now rub more on the nose of the seat than has occurred in the past.

Should I eat humble pie and buy some bike shorts? I prefer the simplicity of riding in my everyday shorts. I could get some boxer style underwear perhaps. Have I correctly diagnosed the problem?
Have you considered a slightly narrower saddle? I suspect a change of shorts won't matter very much.
Old 07-18-12, 12:02 AM
Simpletommy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could also shift to "moutain bike" shorts instead of spandex if you want to maintain some look of "real" clothes.
Old 07-18-12, 12:56 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Be a real man and just ride through it as is.
Old 07-18-12, 01:23 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
shave. the whole region.
Old 07-18-12, 01:50 AM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Simpletommy
You could also shift to "moutain bike" shorts instead of spandex if you want to maintain some look of "real" clothes.
This is what I do. Padded spandex liners w/mtb shells. Everything is interchangable. In deference to modesty and good taste. I do use road jerseys, though in addition to mtb loose fitting ones, too. They just wick really well.

Few things more obnoxious than a full kitted roadie commuting to work and forcing everyone to 'deal with it'.

Btw, medicated talc and anti-fungal sprays like Ting or Tinactin help keep the bacteria count at a minimum.
Old 07-18-12, 05:40 AM
debit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nashcommguy
This is what I do. Padded spandex liners w/mtb shells. Everything is interchangable. In deference to modesty and good taste. I do use road jerseys, though in addition to mtb loose fitting ones, too. They just wick really well.

Few things more obnoxious than a full kitted roadie commuting to work and forcing everyone to 'deal with it'.
Why is that obnoxious?
Old 07-18-12, 07:44 AM
Wolfwerx

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour (x2), '83 Bianchi, '96 Trek 820, '96 Trek 470, '99 Xmart Squishy Bike, '03 Giant Cypress

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could wear bike shorts/liners under your regular shorts, but if you're used to nothing, then maybe just a pair of boxer briefs or compression shorts under your regular shorts will be comfortable enough to block the rubbing on your thighs.
Old 07-18-12, 07:46 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Poly pro underwear and nylon outer shorts still look good while managing sweat.
Old 07-18-12, 11:33 AM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by debit
Why is that obnoxious?
Honestly, you have to ask?
Old 07-18-12, 05:16 PM
debit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, you have to ask?
Well, I wear bike shorts and a jersey when I commute (and sometimes even use clipless pedals!), so I assume I must be obnoxious too, which is a surprise to me. So, yes, I have to ask.
Old 07-18-12, 05:19 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Have you adjusted or replaced your saddle recently? A too-high saddle might be the culprit.
Old 07-18-12, 06:08 PM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There was a recent thread, I think might be related: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ling-underwear

You can find cycling short liners which will wick away the sweat and allow you to wear whatever you like over top.
Old 07-18-12, 08:21 PM
baiskeli
unaangalia nini?

Bikes: Jamis Quest (Ultegra components,Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and Reynods Ouzo Pro Fork), Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why is that obnoxious?
Seriously. I must be going to hell because I do this, I even ride my nice race bike sometimes (the horror! :-) ) (if I've gone for a long morning ride and decide to swing by home, get my backpack and ride the 8 or so easy miles to work, why should I change clothes or change bikes?

On a more serious note, I actually ride my road bike shorts because they are much more comfortable than the mountain bike shorts I own. Also, OP, you might want to try a narrower saddle. I had problems with my inner thighs chafing but its because I have big thighs. Once I switched to a narrower saddle (Fizik Arione), all was well.
Old 07-18-12, 08:25 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
If I'm riding anywhere other than just around the neighborhood, I usually wear spandex boxer briefs underneath something like cargo shorts. Doesn't have the padding that bike shorts have, but definitely helps with any chafing issues. I wear the spandex briefs when running, also.
Old 07-18-12, 08:28 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Btw, medicated talc and anti-fungal sprays like Ting or Tinactin help keep the bacteria count at a minimum.
What a strange thing to say.

Racing cyclist's garb has evolved over a period of more than 100 years. Here comes mr. nashcommguy to tell us we're all wrong.

Any more pearls of wisdom? Perhaps we're all using the wrong handlebars too.
Old 07-18-12, 08:31 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 009jim

I don't think your choice of clothing has very much to do with humility, served in pie form or otherwise. However, I agree with others that special "bike clothing" should not be necessary for an 8 mile commute, and that a change of saddle is worth investigating.
Old 07-18-12, 10:05 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
In theory I have to eat humble pie because traditionally I have implied that my way is the best. However, now I am having doubts and may find it necessary to (a) shave, or (b) wear underwear.

My saddle is already fairly narrow, but point taken.
(07-20-12) Just realized my saddle is not that narrow. Friend has a Bontrager that is easily about 1/2" narrower. Also mine has stitching in a stupid place right on the sides of the nose which is where I'm getting chaffed (go figure).

Shaving is probably the cheapest, easiest option to try first.
(07-20-12) Shaving seems to have helped a bit.

Last edited by 009jim; 07-19-12 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-19-12, 04:16 PM
Guitarfool5931

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Nova Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear some Nashbar Liner shorts that have the chamois on them and some mountain bike shorts with the liner and a thinner chamois. That seems to work pretty good but my commute is not far at all. Also, I wear some of those wick shirts. I have no complaints yet. Unless I ride more than 30 miles in one sitting which is more of a saddle related problem that clothing.
Old 07-20-12, 10:41 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts

Huh? I ride in street clothes for most of my commuting/rides about town so this post doesn't relate to me but for certain long commutes it might make sense to wear cycling shorts and a jersey for the ride. If someone chooses to do so I don't see what the problem is. " modesty and good taste?!"- are you that uptight? Or just that fashion conscious?
Old 07-20-12, 11:07 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
Huh? I ride in street clothes for most of my commuting/rides about town so this post doesn't relate to me but for certain long commutes it might make sense to wear cycling shorts and a jersey for the ride. If someone chooses to do so I don't see what the problem is. " modesty and good taste?!"- are you that uptight? Or just that fashion conscious?
buzzman, you bring up a very good point. "In the interest of modesty and good taste," or whatever you want to call it, I wear loose fitting mountain bike shorts but have real road cycling shorts (w/pad) on underneath.

I do ride the Metro Train for part of my commute (16 mi. bike, 22 mi. train RT) and was advised by both co-workers and my wife that just wearing my lycra road cycling shorts by themselves (which I do for all my recreational riding) would not be socially acceptable whilst on the train.

So I'm kind of caught in the middle here, i.e. I think road cycling shorts are just fine but I appear to be in the minority with that opinion esp. as it relates to non-cyclists.

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-20-12, 11:20 AM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
buzzman, you bring up a very good point. "In the interest of modesty and good taste," or whatever you want to call it, I wear loose fitting mountain bike shorts but have real road cycling shorts (w/pad) on underneath.

I do ride the Metro Train for part of my commute (16 mi. bike, 22 mi. train RT) and was advised by both co-workers and my wife that just wearing my lycra road cycling shorts by themselves (which I do for all my recreational riding) would not be socially acceptable whilst on the train.

So I'm kind of caught in the middle here, i.e. I think road cycling shorts are just fine but I appear to be in the minority with that opinion esp. as it relates to non-cyclists.

Rick / OCRR
I wear my bike shorts in all kinds of situations...depending on what kind of riding I'm doing that day.

I don't think non-cyclists really have a right to an opinion regarding cycling clothing. Why would they? I don't go around telling construction workers their vests look silly.
Old 07-20-12, 12:21 PM
SuperGregNo1

Bikes: MGX Atlas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I wear bike shorts and a jersey when I commute (and sometimes even use clipless pedals!), so I assume I must be obnoxious too, which is a surprise to me. So, yes, I have to ask.
Me too. I think more people would laugh at me for doing my commute in cotton shorts commando instead of bike shorts and a jersey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.