Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Vitamins??

Old 03-28-05, 09:38 PM
jaws

Bikes: 06 Fuji Team RC, 03 K2 Team ZED

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vitamins??

In this over 50 group, I was curious as to who took vitamins and what kind. Do they help you with working out and bike riding? My wife is on my case and says I should take them as I work out at the gym 3 times a week and then (weather & time permitting) ride bikes as often as possible. When taking them, I have been unable to tell any difference in energy levels. For me, the main difference is an increased appetite.
Old 03-28-05, 11:24 PM
OldShacker

Bikes: Cannondale R300, RT1000, Trek1000c, EZ sport cx, EZ Tandem (tuna boat)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would checked with a nutritionist first for energy issues. What works for me may not be right for you. I commute 25 miles round trip and need energy for I ride hard and fast each way. I found that a nutritionist works for me. A sports doc. can help as well.
Old 03-29-05, 10:51 PM
Marge
scofflaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaws
In this over 50 group, I was curious as to who took vitamins and what kind. Do they help you with working out and bike riding? My wife is on my case and says I should take them as I work out at the gym 3 times a week and then (weather & time permitting) ride bikes as often as possible. When taking them, I have been unable to tell any difference in energy levels. For me, the main difference is an increased appetite.

You really could use a good multivitamin, every day, also most men don't get enough vitamin C, so
you should consider boosting that as well. Do you have any osteoarthritis? If so I would suggest
glucosamine and chondroitin. Flax oil and fish oil are both good for omega 3 fatty acids.
It seems like alotta crap at first but you will noticed the difference
Old 03-30-05, 01:51 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Bloody computers-- 3rd attempt to answer this without losing the link.

Sorry but If I lack a vital vitamin in my normal diet-- Then I will change my diet. In the UK there has been a great deal of publicity on vitamin supplements and the concensus of opinion is that they do not do anything to aid fitness or the body. In fact when taken to the excess- they cause a great deal of problems that would not occur if a normal diet was kept to.

Mineral deficiencies that have been medically diagnosed are a different matter, over the past few years I have had to take a few minerals to supplement my lack of them in blood tests, but this has been prescribed by the doctor, and not some "Non medical person" that does not have the conclusive results of what my body needs.

Sorry but if it ain't natural- I ain't taking it. Bet there are a few athletes around that wish they had kept to a natural diet, instead of taking that new wonder pill to boost their performance.
Old 03-30-05, 03:42 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
When taking them, I have been unable to tell any difference in energy levels.
Vitamins do not give you energy. Some are antioxidants, some work with other minerals. Energy comes from what you eat, particularly carbs.

I take the following every day (no multivitamins!):
Vitamin A
Vitamin B12 (generally low for those who eat little or no meat)
Vitamin C
Saw Palmetto (prostate health)
Horse Chestnut (varicose veins)
Calcium Citrate and Calcium Lactate (strong bones)
Glucosomine and Chondroidin (joint health)
Hawthorn (heart health)
Quercetin (cholesterol health)
Bilberry (circulatory health)
other herbal supplements I can't remember now - I'm at work.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-30-05, 05:15 PM
luv2cruz

Bikes: 04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take almost exactly what Marqe does,in addition to taking lecithin, which is supposed to help,uh......oh,yeah, my memory!
Old 03-30-05, 05:36 PM
jimshapiro
Jim Shapiro

Bikes: Bianchi Imola (road), Bianchi Axis (general), Centurion Elite RS (fixed gear), Centurion Elite GS (lunch rides at work), Miyata (work in progress), Trek 7000 (mountain biking)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't see any _scientific_ reason to take vitamins at all (by the way, I'm 64 and have ridden bicycles since I was 5), and good reason _not_ to take the daily dose of what had been recommended for vitamin E up until a few months ago (how soon they forget). Anecdotal accounts don't carry any weight, with me, at least. Just eat plenty of fruits and vegetables daily and stay away from processed foods as much as possible.

Jim
Old 04-06-05, 02:44 PM
bjlaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I started on a regular regime of a multi vitamin every day along with vitamin A (beta cerotine sp?), C and E, I have only been sick with a cold once in the last 5 years. Coincidence or not I'm sticking to it.

When victory in battle is assured, time to tighten helmet strap.
Old 04-06-05, 05:09 PM
scottogo

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vitamin fall in love?
Old 04-06-05, 08:01 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
The only extra vitamins I take is the Vitamin D from these glorious sunny Carolina days...
Old 04-06-05, 08:57 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
I take vitamin and mineral supplements primarily as insurance against deficiency, and I take various specific herbal supplements. Here's my daily regimen:
multi-B
mixed tocopherol E, 200IU (I am a big believer in antioxidants.)
C, 250 or 500mg (ditto)
saw palmetto (mentioned earlier in this thread)
glucosamine and condroitin (mentioned earlier in this thread)
kelp and spirulina (iodine)

Since I am a near-vegetarian, I occasionally add zinc, iron, and B-12.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-07-05, 07:03 AM
kf5nd

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT TAKE A VITAMIN WITH IRON UNLESS YOU KNOW FROM A BLOOD TEST THAT YOU ARE IRON DEFICIENT !!! Especially if your are N. European / Celtic descent.

Too much iron, a condition known as hemochromatosis, can damage internal organs, even to the point of causing liver damage and increasing liver cancer risk! Celts run a risk of having this hereditary disease. The disease is though to have come from a genetic mutation from a single individual in N. Europe several tens of thousands of years ago.

One-A-Day Men's Formula, for example, does not have ANY iron in it. Because men generally do not need iron. Menstruating women do.
Old 04-07-05, 01:49 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by kf5nd
WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT TAKE A VITAMIN WITH IRON UNLESS YOU KNOW FROM A BLOOD TEST THAT YOU ARE IRON DEFICIENT !!! Especially if your are N. European / Celtic descent.

Too much iron, a condition known as hemochromatosis, can damage internal organs, even to the point of causing liver damage and increasing liver cancer risk! Celts run a risk of having this hereditary disease. The disease is though to have come from a genetic mutation from a single individual in N. Europe several tens of thousands of years ago.

One-A-Day Men's Formula, for example, does not have ANY iron in it. Because men generally do not need iron. Menstruating women do.
Thanks for the post. Yes, I am indeed a Celt, but I am a vegetarian who donates blood periodically, so my serum iron count is consistently on the low side of the normal/average range. Hemochromatosis is definitely a MAJOR concern for susceptible individuals, but it is quite rare, even among the "at risk" population.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069