Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Old 06-11-20, 09:16 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
^^^^Crystal Cove one of the more scenic cycling destinations along PCH.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-12-20, 07:31 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
^^^^Crystal Cove one of the more scenic cycling destinations along PCH.
Stopping at the Shake Shack on PCH and enjoying the view before we turned around. It sure is a nice area.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 06-12-20, 04:15 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Awesome day for a ride. San Dimas Cyn Park had running water and shade so a nice respite before heading back.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32921905
Went up San Dimas Canyon road to the gate today as part of a 30mi loop, Too bad you can't continue on to GMR. I'd put the fat tires back on just for that! Two supposedly "endangered" yellow leg frogs in the road, but no cars.

Nice find!

It's going into the loop rotation.
Likes For TGT1:
Old 06-12-20, 04:35 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

^^^^^ I had not been up San Dimas Cyn Rd in 30 years. I remember fishing in that pond and catching gold fish of all things.Kinda burned out on GMR and will sample some of the lesser known foothill roads in the Glendora/San Dimas/Claremont areas. Do a few of those and it adds up to a great workout.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-12-20, 04:40 PM
CAT7RDR

Messing around the Whittier Hills without a plan. Met an 80 y/o gent that was out to do an over/back on Turnbull Cyn. That is impressive to me. Most of the 80 y/o's I know only form of exercise is walking from the car into the health clinic. Anywho, 50 miles and 5600 ft of climb.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32980161

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 06-12-20 at 07:39 PM.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-12-20, 08:25 PM
bigd777

Bikes: Trek 6.9 Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 20 Posts
64 miles Santa Paula Ojai Ventura then back to Santa Paula
Likes For bigd777:
Old 06-13-20, 02:00 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
dayum..feeling mightly inadequate with y'all pushin some monster rides lately. gotta get off my duffy and get on my huffy.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-13-20, 01:56 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts

Swami's. 52 miles.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 06-13-20, 05:57 PM
TakingMyTime

35 miles through Irvine. Started near the 5 fwy and Jeffrey Rd. Worked my way up to Santiago Canyon Road to El Toro Road and a few others until I got on Barranca and then headed back to Jeffrey Road. Santiago Canyon road was a tough one for me. I'm not use to climbing AT ALL and it really took all the perseverance I could muster. 1870 feet of climbing which is 3 times my previous record. But after all is said and done I really don't feel that bad. I'm thinking of putting this ride into a weekly rotation.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 06-13-20, 06:13 PM
CAT7RDR

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
35 miles through Irvine. Started near the 5 fwy and Jeffrey Rd. Worked my way up to Santiago Canyon Road to El Toro Road and a few others until I got on Barranca and then headed back to Jeffrey Road. Santiago Canyon road was a tough one for me. I'm not use to climbing AT ALL and it really took all the perseverance I could muster. 1870 feet of climbing which is 3 times my previous record. But after all is said and done I really don't feel that bad. I'm thinking of putting this ride into a weekly rotation.
Nice going and really lush scenery along Santiago Cyn. In time, reward yourself with a stroll up Silverado Cyn. Only about 12 miles up/down but shady and cool in the morning. Mini-mart about halfway up if you need to refill.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-14-20, 01:46 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I have 2 buddies, that because of life and work, we had all fallen apart over the years. These were bike ridding buddies. One of them just retired this week and has joined our group. We all live close together and meeting up either here or there and going for a ride is not a problem. Today we rode to downtown Long Beach (across from the Queen Mary) and hung out for a while. It almost seems like we all put in our time making a life for ourselves but now that we've all recently retired we can take up right where we left off 40 years ago.
Nice living vicariously through all you guys. Before Covid, I was riding with a group we call Team Type 3, named after the Tour De Cure rides they did. Formerly rode out of the Long Beach Town Center Performance Bike Shop before they closed, now as an independent group - we now start off from the Sam's Club gas station parking, off on Saturday and Sunday Mornings if you want to ride in a group. We have A and C group, I ride in the C group cause I'm just not interested in speed. We hope to get back on the road soon, I certainly need to because of a back injury in early February that I've finally healed from (mostly) but then Covid hit so being cautious about getting back out. Nice to see you guys getting out there and riding consistently.

Did a loop around Turnbull Cyn, SGRT, Sierra Madre/Foothill, Up/Down San Dimas Cyn, Via Verde, Grand, Brea Cyn/Pathfinder.
70 miles and 5K of climb. I was good for 30 miles then the dreaded BB creak started and got progressively creakier.
^^^^^No crank play at the start then by mile 50 about a half inch of play. At least we get a warning.
Awesome day for a ride. San Dimas Cyn Park had running water and shade so a nice respite before heading back.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32921905
Sorry to hear your BB got loose. Now I know why some people carry a crank wrench with them. Hopefully it wasn't the BB bearings failing. Very nice route, obviously you climb a lot. Your last path through Fullerton Rd. and into Larkvane/Calle Barcelona goes right by my mom's house at Samara Drive! Fullerton Road sure seems tight for a bike though I'm sure you're used to it. I'm in La Habra and need to get back to working the hills. Was training for Eroica California (and for some of your, Nova Eroica) but had a back injury in Early February, so have been out of commission till healed about Mid-April-May. Now just need to get back out. Thanks for posting all of your routes, gives me some good ideas to work towards.

Sounds like Eroica California would be pretty straightforward for you guys, vintage bikes or modern bikes. It has been rescheduled into end of September and starts in Cambria and rides through the hills nearby or up and down PCH.
www.eroicacalifornia.com
https://eroica.cc/en/nova-california
Old 06-14-20, 04:12 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

glad you rode scr. west to east isn't steep but it's long. east to west is shorter but steeper west of cook's corner. once you get acclimated with that, the aforementioned side trip up silverado canyon is worthy
as is the one up modjeska canyon and up live oak canyon down to trabuco canyon. it's okay to go slow...the scenery is pretty good.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-14-20, 07:13 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
glad you rode scr. west to east isn't steep but it's long. east to west is shorter but steeper west of cook's corner. once you get acclimated with that, the aforementioned side trip up silverado canyon is worthy
as is the one up modjeska canyon and up live oak canyon down to trabuco canyon. it's okay to go slow...the scenery is pretty good.
Once I get a few more West to East trips under my belt I may start to try and mix it up. Still, that's a little way off and will require a fair amount of training on my part first. I'm really hoping to try and get out on that ride at least once a week.
Old 06-14-20, 04:11 PM
CAT7RDR

Did another loop around SGV into San Dimas Cyn and also up Wheeler/Stephens Ranch Rd and Marshal Cyn before returning via Puddingstone/San Dimas Ave and Grand. 82 miles and 6K of climb.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33006019
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-16-20, 04:03 PM
diphthong

37-miler around big bear lake, baldwin lake (dry) and a little excursion up hwy 38 towards onyx summit (but turned around after 3-4 miles).
the high desert/lower mtns interface around baldwin lake is pretty with long views. didn’t come across any convenience stores or support in the baldwin lake area so go prepared.

Last edited by diphthong; 06-16-20 at 04:12 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-16-20, 09:30 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Today I added a few more miles to my trip south from Oceanside harbor. I made it down to 15th St. in Del Mar before heading back. I will have to go over Del Mar Heights to Torrey Pines for my next trip. It's only a couple more miles but it looked difficult today and I felt good turning around at 15th. Can I just take Camino Del Mar over the hill to Torrey Pines?

Last edited by adamhenry; 06-16-20 at 09:54 PM.
Likes For adamhenry:
Old 06-17-20, 09:14 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 100 Posts
One of my favorite stretches of road along the Tour de Big Bear route from the dam all along the north lakeside. Assume you turned onto Shay Road to get to the 38? Yeah not much but residential & very light traffic. There is a mini-mart in Fawnskin but nothing until @ 1/4 mile west of the 38 there's a market on Big Bear Blvd (18) at Greenway Dr. Going up the 38 towards Onyx summit gets you thirsty alright especially when the sun is out.
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 06-17-20, 09:56 AM
diphthong

Originally Posted by 2seven0
One of my favorite stretches of road along the Tour de Big Bear route from the dam all along the north lakeside. Assume you turned onto Shay Road to get to the 38? Yeah not much but residential & very light traffic. There is a mini-mart in Fawnskin but nothing until @ 1/4 mile west of the 38 there's a market on Big Bear Blvd (18) at Greenway Dr. Going up the 38 towards Onyx summit gets you thirsty alright especially when the sun is out.
West
yah...shay road is handy and the easternmost part is pretty.

little fawnskin store was closed when riding past around 8:20am but was open the afternoon before when driving past. didn’t stop to check hours and the hours for many places aren’t etched in stone currently.
Old 06-18-20, 02:04 AM
diphthong

Originally Posted by adamhenry
Today I added a few more miles to my trip south from Oceanside harbor. I made it down to 15th St. in Del Mar before heading back. I will have to go over Del Mar Heights to Torrey Pines for my next trip. It's only a couple more miles but it looked difficult today and I felt good turning around at 15th. Can I just take Camino Del Mar over the hill to Torrey Pines?
yes. ain't gonna be flat tho. torrey pines area is the toll collector for the stretch between camp pendleton south to torrey pines.

torrey pines grade is about 6% at 1.6 miles on the outside/coastal hwy stretch. the road inside torrey pines state park gets steeper...like 9-10%.
the climbing is both harder and shorter. pick your poison.

if you're not used to hills like that and still are curious, start/end closer to it like leucadia or solana beach the first time or two.

flying down the hill from del mar southbound towards torrey pines on the coast highway is one of the most scenic stretches in the county and never gets old.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-18-20, 09:56 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
yes. ain't gonna be flat tho. torrey pines area is the toll collector for the stretch between camp pendleton south to torrey pines.
Thanks for the heads up. A 6% for 1.5mi. would definitely test me. I have a 1mi. 6% that I've trained on a couple times. I have to take a break at half way point. I need a few more repeats on that hill and a few more miles before I try T.P.
Old 06-19-20, 04:04 PM
CAT7RDR

Some days you have it other days you don't but soldier on. Rode up to Crystal Lake from Encanto Park this morning. Saw about 40 other cyclists either ascending or descending. Great clear day and minimal vehicle traffic. By the time I reached the CL Cafe I was having blurred vision, a sore neck and difficulty keeping my head up. My heart rate was up but this is considerable climb for me and expected.

I sat in the shade and rehydrated, had a snack and after about 30 minutes I felt better for the return. I need to manage my calories and fluid intake better and hydrate more the day before. I have been losing weight and might not have had as much glucose stored as I have had on previous climbs.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-19-20, 06:04 PM
TakingMyTime

I did the Santiago Canyon Road course I did last week, but this time with a friend. Although I'm still struggling up some of the hills in my lowest bailout gear... I'm not getting off the bike and riding the whole thing. The awesome thing about today's rides was that my friend and I rode the 35 miles 7 minutes faster than I did on my own last week.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 06-20-20, 04:29 PM
bigd777

Bikes: Trek 6.9 Madone

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 20 Posts
Rode 100 miles from Simi up to the rock store to the cost to Mugu rock Camarillo Santa Rosa Rd back to Simi Valley
Likes For bigd777:
Old 06-21-20, 04:01 AM
diphthong

Originally Posted by bigd777
Rode 100 miles from Simi up to the rock store to the cost to Mugu rock Camarillo Santa Rosa Rd back to Simi Valley
5,500 ft el gain?
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-21-20, 11:08 PM
Alphabet

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Finest 2.3 - 2022 Domane AL 5

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
15 miles in east Chula Vista. Hills and hills and downhills
Likes For Alphabet:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.