Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

microSHIFT Mezzo RD-R45L - First Impressions

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-30-19, 06:30 PM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts

Just thought I'd share in case anyone down the road is thinking about this particular rear derailleur. I saw it mentioned in an old video on Seth's Bike Hacks and figured I'd give it a shot.

I have an old Diamondback Outlook that I saved from the dumpster awhile ago. After 2000+ miles the drivetrain was ready for a rebuild. Chain was failing the gauge test and the 7 speed cassette had seen better days. Picked up the Mezzo RD, KMC X8.93 chain and a Shimano CS-HG31 11-34 8 speed cassette. (Converted it from 3x7 to 3x8, had friction shifters.)

Installation was super easy, granted, friction shifters. But it did just work after a few seconds of limit adjusting. Shifting feels super smooth on the first test ride and so far I'm very happy with the new setup. If anything annoying crops up I'll update the thread...

Definitely not as cool and shiny as the vintage Deore XT groupset on my other 26er, but if anyone is looking for a 7-9 RD for a commuter or budget build:

Old 12-30-19, 07:04 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I have been impressed with the performance and value for cost of Microshift stuff. I am currently using a Marvo LT RD on my CrissCross.
Old 12-30-19, 10:55 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
I'd be interested to know the long term use results. Both my kids run short reach microshift drop bar shifters and I've been extremely pleased with how they set up and run. My son's 20" bike has a microshift r9 rear der and the rivets at the pivot points have rusted. I keep them lubed so they seem to be working fine but when they first started rusting it did effect shifting performance.
Old 12-31-19, 05:50 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I have about 6000 miles on my MicroShift 7 speed brifters. Zero issues or complaints. Curious if that was a typo or if you already have a work out drivetrain at only 2000 miles. Chains last me anywhere from 3-5000 miles, or up to a year, everything else varies. With cleaning and lube drivetrains go 20,000 miles and more.
Old 12-31-19, 07:47 AM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
I have about 6000 miles on my MicroShift 7 speed brifters. Zero issues or complaints. Curious if that was a typo or if you already have a work out drivetrain at only 2000 miles. Chains last me anywhere from 3-5000 miles, or up to a year, everything else varies. With cleaning and lube drivetrains go 20,000 miles and more.
It is really 2000; I do honestly lube chains regularly. I can believe it in the case of this dumpster find though. It was originally just a frame and fork when I picked it up. All of the parts aside from the chain were completely used and I have no idea of how many miles were already on the cassette and crankset. (I live in a very flat area and pretty much tear up the highest gear combo which didn't help.)

The original Tourney RD worked totally fine, it is just a 6/7 speed model and I didn't think it would handle the 8 speed with the 34T cog. The original has been cleaned up for the parts bin.
Old 12-31-19, 08:02 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Thanks for the reference, good to keep in mind.
Old 12-31-19, 08:15 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Synack42
It is really 2000; I do honestly lube chains regularly. I can believe it in the case of this dumpster find though. It was originally just a frame and fork when I picked it up. All of the parts aside from the chain were completely used and I have no idea of how many miles were already on the cassette and crankset. (I live in a very flat area and pretty much tear up the highest gear combo which didn't help.)

The original Tourney RD worked totally fine, it is just a 6/7 speed model and I didn't think it would handle the 8 speed with the 34T cog. The original has been cleaned up for the parts bin.
Ok, that clarifies it all. I was gathering this was 2000 miles from new. And while Tourney can work fine for many, it certainly is not Shimano’s best.