Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ordering From Orbea

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ordering From Orbea

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-19, 12:49 PM
SpooFy89

Bikes: Specialized Allez Comp '14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ordering From Orbea

I am looking to invest in a carbon fiber bike and am completely sold on getting an Orbea Orca. I am, however, hesitant to order right from Orbea and have it shipped to the US from Spain.

I am wondering if anyone else has ordered from Orbea, or for that matter, having a bike shipped from over seas, and if you have had any issues with shipping (ie. damages)? If so, how is their customer support?
Old 12-27-19, 01:40 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I'm surprised you have not thought of it yourself. The obvious solution is to go to Spain and pick up the bike in person.
Old 12-27-19, 02:03 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Just curious, what would be the advantage of ordering from Spain, vs. a US-based shop (eg. racycles)? Some new color scheme or model that's not available here?
Old 12-27-19, 02:08 PM
SpooFy89

Bikes: Specialized Allez Comp '14

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
I'm surprised you have not thought of it yourself. The obvious solution is to go to Spain and pick up the bike in person.
That still leaves the issue of how to then send it back to the states unless you have an inside connect for some water wheels.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Just curious, what would be the advantage of ordering from Spain, vs. a US-based shop (eg. racycles)? Some new color scheme or model that's not available here?
I was hoping for a more custom color scheme than anything I have been able to find in the states.
Old 12-27-19, 02:36 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I don't think your at any greater risk having it shipped from Spain as opposed to someplace in the states. Keep in mind that they are regularly shipping bikes to the states, either to a distribution point or directly to stores but the bikes are getting here.

Shipping damage hurts the manufacturer more than anyone else so they are motivated to create good packaging and conscientious of how they ship. Naturally you can still have a bad experience, just like you could with any other company shipping from anywhere else and if that happens you'll have to sort it out with them, but chances are it will arrive in good shape.
Old 12-27-19, 03:01 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Whether you order from a bike shop, or Orbea directly, it's still being shipped from Spain, so there is no added risk. Besides, Orbea does not ship directly to your house...you have to have it delivered to a dealer, and then collect it from them. So, if there are any issues/damage, the shop will be able to handle it
Old 12-27-19, 05:20 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I would order it from a NC bike shop. Even if they don't have your color in stock, they will gladly get it shipped in for you.
Old 12-27-19, 06:26 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
All the dealers get their bikes from Spain, too, so I am not sure what difference it would make. I have had an Orca in the past and found the company to be great to deal with on a few issues. It was purchased at a US store, though. Probably going to buy another Orca as my next rig. Just loved that bike. Plus, not everybody has one, which is kinda cool, I always thought.
Old 12-27-19, 06:31 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I have an Orbea Avant that I purchased on-line, but from California, Adrenaline Cycles. No issues with the packaging/shipping. It did take a bit of work to get it all adjusted and working properly. I bought it in 2016 as a new 2014 model, close to 50% off MSRP. It is a very nice bike, however, I prefer steel or titanium frame.
Old 01-03-20, 12:08 AM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I had my dealer order my Avant for me, It was shipped from an Orbea distribution center in, I think it was Kentucky, not directly from Spain. Not sure how it would work doing the MyO customization though.
Old 01-10-20, 03:21 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I am an Orca rider for 11 years now. My first, a 2009 developed a fault in the carbon on the top tube. We stripped the frame and sent to Orbea in Arkansas (when I lived in the states) and they replaced it with a new 2012 (back in 2012), only question being what color did I want? Their US distributor or center was in Arkansas so it still be be there. I was really pleased with their attitude toward warranty and replacement. My 2012 which is now technically 8 years old is a really good frameset and I would look at a new Orca, partially out of brand loyalty and partially because they are good bikes made by a cool Spanish collective company. I do know that they are not for a budget oriented consumer, but if you want a good carbon frameset that is not from one of the big 3-5 companies out there (Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, Giant, Scott), take a look at them. Or build a Spanish holiday and go visit them.
Old 01-10-20, 03:58 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Noahma
I had my dealer order my Avant for me, It was shipped from an Orbea distribution center in, I think it was Kentucky, not directly from Spain. Not sure how it would work doing the MyO customization though.
Unless they have moved, they were in Fayettville Arkansas
Old 01-10-20, 06:05 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
You may have issues with warranty work in the US, as Orbea USA and any local Orbea dealer would
have "nothing in the game(ie $$$)" for your non USA sourced bicycle.

The bicycle will be virtually the same as you could source here.

Saving money by trading on currency, paying shipping, assembly, tune up and support all should be considered in
you transaction decision.

My guess is that the bicycle will not be repackaged from original oem carton for the trip across the pond,
unless you are ask for and willing to pay for it.

All costs add up.
Old 01-12-20, 09:52 AM
fried bake

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
The MyO customization only ships to US bike shops. You have to select the bike shop you wish to have the bike shipped to and work with them. I ordered a custom Orbea Gain this way. Took a month and a half to arrive but was well worth it for the unique paint scheme.
Old 01-13-20, 05:18 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by fried bake
The MyO customization only ships to US bike shops. You have to select the bike shop you wish to have the bike shipped to and work with them. I ordered a custom Orbea Gain this way. Took a month and a half to arrive but was well worth it for the unique paint scheme.
This post is worthless without pics...
Old 01-14-20, 04:21 PM
fried bake

Ask and you will receive. The hub is clearly visible in the third photo

Likes For fried bake:
Old 01-15-20, 01:38 PM
gt3racerich

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fried bake
Ask and you will receive. The hub is clearly visible in the third photo

Is that "MYO" color Sky Blue?
Old 01-15-20, 06:28 PM
fried bake

Yup--sky blue in their parlance. Inspired by the Trek Radioshack Madones (close but no cigar)

Likes For fried bake:
Old 02-06-20, 06:16 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
I'm looking at an Orbea Avant, and I have a really dumb question, only because I'm hearing the Orbea brand name mangled a bit here locally.

Is the brand pronounced:

- Or-BEE-uh
- Or-BAY-uh
- OR-bee-uh

I think it's number 2 but I've heard all three versions.
Old 02-06-20, 06:34 PM
Noahma

I am fairly confident that it is the second one. My local dealer says the second one, his Orbea Rep says it that way as well. And if you listen carefully in the following Orbea video, I hear several times in the first few min. the name pronounced that way as well. (I don't speak Spanish, so I could be wrong. )

Likes For Noahma:
Old 02-06-20, 07:28 PM
davethelefty

Noahma -- how do you like your Avant? Interesting that your bikes are an Orbea and a Trek. I was looking at the Checkpoint but I don't need the gravel setup, so I focused on the Domane. I think it's come down to the Domane and the Avant, and I'm leaning toward Orbea.
Old 02-06-20, 09:49 PM
Noahma

I absolutely LOVE it. I am thinking about upgrading to an M30TeamD at the end of the year (if I get a Christmas bonus lol) Specifically for the MyO customization. I have upgraded several items on my Avant. It came with the last version of the Tiagra groupset, nothing wrong with it at all, but I wanted the newest 105, which knocked a bit of weight off the bike, and I had a custom set of wheels built for it again to knock a little weight off the bike. I have it down to 19lbs at the moment.

I just got the Trek for a few reasons. The Orbea Terra was out of my budget as a secondary bike, and there was a great deal on the Trek, which has the components I wanted. Its basically going to do double duty as a commuter with racks for riding to work this summer. My office is moving closer to my home (13 miles instead of 24) Which makes commuting every other week during the summer much easier. And I wanted to explore some of the gravel tracks in my area which I don't want to take the Orbea on. If the budget would have been higher, darn right I would have ended up with a Terra.

This is my Avant.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ii57U78HrA7fwFjM8
Old 02-06-20, 11:08 PM
davethelefty

M30TeamD is exactly the bike I want. Don't know how much customization I'll do at order time, as I'm trying to stay within a certain price range. Maybe the carbon seat post??

And new wheels would be in the future. But first I've got a 50-mile charity ride next month that I want to do on my current bike, then I'll sell it and order the Orbea. Good news is there's a LBS very close by that is an Orbea dealer. I understand the warehouse in the US is gone, so the shop orders directly from Spain. Interesting...

BTW your Avant is sweet looking!!!
Old 02-06-20, 11:48 PM
Noahma

Thanks! I am looking more into the custom paint than anything else with the next bike. I would probably do some small options, but for the most part it would be equipped with much of what my current Avant has, with the exceptions being the disk breaks, which I love on my checkpoint. There are two Orbea dealers near by, but the one closest to my current office is where I got mine, and the owner is amazing!
Old 02-07-20, 10:44 AM
gt3racerich

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts
Can anyone recommend a couple of bike shops in the USA that would have a large number of Orbeo road bikes in stock?
Thanks