Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

"All cyclists will need to fit detection beacons, says cycle industry boss"

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

"All cyclists will need to fit detection beacons, says cycle industry boss"

Old 03-26-18, 06:17 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I don't see it as any different than running taillights day and night. A "detection beacon" could actually be fully passive, like a corner reflector, but I'd be down with putting on a beacon too. All it would be would be a modulated LED. Could be part of a normal taillight, which are already modulated (that's how they dim).
Old 03-26-18, 06:23 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,491 Times in 2,844 Posts
It sounds like they are talking about a concept that is already being deployed in aviation: ADS-B

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automa...0%93_broadcast
Old 03-26-18, 06:32 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
In any case, what is it that is so onerous to those here who are so opposed? Don't want to be recognised as a cyclist? Well then, throw all your lights away, strip your reflectors, and wear dark clothing at night.
I don't want an extra device to keep charged and worry about. If it's passive, cheap, and lightweight (like a reflector), then I'd get one for extra safety. But the onus shouldn't be on me to buy stuff to address shortcomings in AV technology.

AV's should be able to sense people on or off bikes.
Old 03-27-18, 06:07 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
I don't want an extra device to keep charged and worry about.
There's no reason at all that a normal taillight can't modulate a digital signal for this purpose. Taillights already are modulated, that's how they are dimmed. putting a pattern into the modulation should cost exactly nothing and cause the batteries to die exactly no faster.
Old 03-27-18, 06:09 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I wouldn't favor making such devices mandatory, but if I live long enough for such a beacon to be practical I'd use one.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 03-27-18, 06:16 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
I don't want an extra device to keep charged and worry about. If it's passive, cheap, and lightweight (like a reflector), then I'd get one for extra safety. But the onus shouldn't be on me to buy stuff to address shortcomings in AV technology.

AV's should be able to sense people on or off bikes.
I do agree, the person on bike should not have to take any onus for this tech - Car companies and companies that want to have driver-less cars need to fund these devices if that's gonna be a thing.*

Like I posted earlier, I believe the on bike devise should be simple like the Dero ZAP - it's a simple sensor on your spokes, no need to charge them.

Here's a promo video showing the tech:

*edit/afterthought/footnote - It's not a big deal for somebody like me (a tech-geek with disposable income) to get one more device, but think about the large number of people that bike for economic reasons, who's going to pay for the sensors to be added to their bikes? Are those people simply disposable in our brave new world?

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 03-27-18 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-27-18, 06:18 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Don't be too sure of that, Uber may have disconnected the OEM safety tech in order to test their own prototype tech which may be the reason the Uber version Volvo failed so miserably.
You got me to look deeper on the subject - thanks

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/26/...al-uber-crash/

Interesting quote in the blame-storm:

.... clarifying a lidar array's role in the driving task; namely, that even when the lasers detect an object, "it is up to the rest of the system to interpret and use the data to make decisions. We do not know how the Uber system of decision-making works." If Uber's software doesn't process the data properly, then it doesn't matter what the lasers register.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 03-27-18 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-27-18, 07:55 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
What else do we put these devices on? Kid's bikes? Mobility scooters? Push chairs? Skips? Traffic cones? Cat/dog collars? Sheep...?

Is it not right that any moving vehicle should be able to prevent hitting a universal object in it's path..? That's what cars have drivers for - if you are going to remove the driver, the car will have to be able to execute that same function regardless of what that universal object is.
Old 03-27-18, 09:14 AM
tyrion

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
There's no reason at all that a normal taillight can't modulate a digital signal for this purpose. Taillights already are modulated, that's how they are dimmed. putting a pattern into the modulation should cost exactly nothing and cause the batteries to die exactly no faster.
If it's part of the taillight, would it do anything to prevent the Arizona Uber accident, where the car hit the bike broadside?

And if the signal is via normal taillight wavelength light, why does it need to be modulated? Shouldn't the car simply avoid hitting any light source?
Old 03-27-18, 09:15 AM
Shimagnolo

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I do agree, the person on bike should not have to take any onus for this tech - Car companies and companies that want to have driver-less cars need to fund these devices if that's gonna be a thing.*

Like I posted earlier, I believe the on bike devise should be simple like the Dero ZAP - it's a simple sensor on your spokes, no need to charge them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=XcqBJf7pH2c

*edit/afterthought/footnote - It's not a big deal for somebody like me (a tech-geek with disposable income) to get one more device, but think about the large number of people that bike for economic reasons, who's going to pay for the sensors to be added to their bikes? Are those people simply disposable in our brave new world?
The drawback is that RFID can only respond to a query with an announcement that it is present, (with its hardcoded ID), but cannot tell where it is. As opposed to ADS-B Out which can provide its exact GPS coordinates. Of course ADS-B would require a power source in order to constantly process its GPS location. I'm not sure telling the AV's onboard computer that "there is a cyclist somewhere" would be of any help.
Old 03-27-18, 09:19 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
My reaction can be summarized as "B.S."

Long version, including the reactions of many others -- this is just another variation of the invented "jaywalking" laws that shifted the burden from driver responsibility and liability to regarding pedestrians and cyclists as disposable, expendable and collateral damage in the greater interest of ensuring motorists and motor vehicles aren't inconvenienced.
That is just more marching to the nanny state. It is like mandatory helmet laws. It is b'crat nonsense of those that want to control every aspect of other people's lives.
Old 03-27-18, 09:20 AM
Shimagnolo

You got me to look deeper on the subject - thanks

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/26/...al-uber-crash/

Interesting quote in the blame-storm:
On another forum, I asked the question: How does the color of a pedestrians clothing affect LIDAR detection range?

A poster who says he has experience with the systems, answered:
Since LIDAR is infrared, which is adjacent to the visible spectrum, reflectivity is similar to visible light, so black clothing will cause the detection range to drop to 10-30% of white clothing.
Old 03-27-18, 09:26 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
In the future, if automated cars become ubiquitous, then I would consider a beacon if the car manufacturers made them absolutely free to cyclists. I definitely should not have to pay to make their vehicles safer on the road. I currently do everything I can to make myself safer on the road from human drivers (hi vis stuff, lights, helmet, etc.). Yes, I pay for that myself. But that stuff makes me more visible to other cyclists and pedestrians as well. This beacon will serve one purpose only so the car manufacturers can pay for it. I'll just have to remember to remove it before I ride my bike out to rob a bank so they can't track me during the getaway, lol.
Old 03-27-18, 10:12 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
I'll just have to remember to remove it before I ride my bike out to rob a bank so they can't track me during the getaway, lol.
Dude, join the pro team and rob banks on stolen bikes.
Old 03-27-18, 10:28 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
The drawback is that RFID can only respond to a query with an announcement that it is present, (with its hardcoded ID), but cannot tell where it is. As opposed to ADS-B Out which can provide its exact GPS coordinates. Of course ADS-B would require a power source in order to constantly process its GPS location. I'm not sure telling the AV's onboard computer that "there is a cyclist somewhere" would be of any help.
I work with industrial manufacturing and there are companies working with RFID to get the same information (location, speed, direction). This would be a more controlled environment than our roadways, but this info is available with RFID
Old 03-27-18, 10:39 AM
Shimagnolo

I work with industrial manufacturing and there are companies working with RFID to get the same information (location, speed, direction). This would be a more controlled environment than our roadways, but this info is available with RFID
I'd love to see an explanation of how a passive device could provide that.
I can believe that the RFID scanner could add it's own location/speed/etc to a scan.
But I can't imagine how a passive device could originate it.

ETA Some googling turns up Active RFID which is powered RFID device, but were are back to something that requires a battery or an electrical system on the object being tracked.

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 03-27-18 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-27-18, 10:45 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I still want another 1972 Plymouth Duster, no matter how bad the Slant Six sucks gas vs. a Prius.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Ummmm ..... Actually, the beacon is to identify cyclists to AV cars. Communication is with the car, not the driver.

As a rule, it doesn't hurt to read the cited article to actually know what one is talking about Before starting to talk.

I quote:

It is the goal of the “connected car” industry to make cyclists use sensors or beacons so they can be detected more easily. (Such sensors could be passive transponders or, even easier, signals from a smartphone.) Currently, "erratic" cyclists are hard to detect by autonomous vehicles. And pedestrians, too, are often not spotted by a plethora of detection devices on even the most tricked-out "driverless cars". (emphasis added, to make the point clear to the reading-averse.)
Old 03-27-18, 10:52 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I'd love to see an explanation of how a passive device could provide that.
I can believe that the RFID scanner could add it's own location/speed/etc to a scan.
But I can't imagine how a passive device could originate it.

ETA Some googling turns up Active RFID which is powered RFID device, but were are back to something that requires a battery or an electrical system on the object being tracked.
I saw a demo at a show last fall (Pack Expo in Vegas), I believe the demo was with Turck (or maybe HARTING). I need to do more digging into the the application/demo. I don't have enough time right now to go any deeper, but my recollection was that these were none powered tags, it might have been two tags on each carrier and software computed the distance info. The demo was on a belt, making it less applicable to an open road application.
Old 03-27-18, 10:54 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

It'll just freak out the shoplifting alarms at Walmart, no doubt.
Old 03-27-18, 10:55 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=XcqBJf7pH2c
How is this system any better than using, say, Strava? I'm pretty sure there are absolutely no ZAP stations where I normally ride.
Old 03-27-18, 10:56 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Do you think A Clockwork Orange isn't far behind this?
Old 03-27-18, 10:58 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
How is this system any better than using, say, Strava? I'm pretty sure there are absolutely no ZAP stations where I normally ride.
It's helpful for people that are not using smartphone or specific apps.

Dero is based in Minneapolis, and partnered with the U of MN to develop the system. I don't honestly see this becoming a huge success with wide adoption, but it's here in Minneapolis and successful.
Old 03-27-18, 11:24 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Don't be too sure of that, Uber may have disconnected the OEM safety tech in order to test their own prototype tech which may be the reason the Uber version Volvo failed so miserably.
This just showed up on my face book feed: Uber Disabled Volvo SUV's Safety System Before Fatality https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...efore-fatality
Old 03-27-18, 11:29 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,344 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
You could add the RFID sensors (the "station") to the automated vehicles.
Old 03-27-18, 11:31 AM
tyrion

This just showed up on my face book feed: Uber Disabled Volvo SUV's Safety System Before Fatality https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...efore-fatality
Wow. On the one hand, this is Aptiv's CYA claim, on the other hand I believe it. Uber is in big trouble.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.