Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

30 mph ebike this morning

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

30 mph ebike this morning

Old 10-28-19, 06:20 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I think the point is that you don't need a license to ride a bike, electric or otherwise.
No, I'm pretty sure that's not the point. But even if it is it was made badly. High powered motor vehicles don't get a license pass simply because you attach pedals to them.

In reading back, now I don't get whether these indirect inferences are to be taken seriously or just plain sarcasm.

Last edited by KraneXL; 10-28-19 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-28-19, 07:05 PM
thepartsguy
ole skool cyclist

Bikes: Gitane Sprint, Kinesis Touring bike, and 1994 SpecializedStumpJumper M2 FS with DH fork

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
You don't need a license to get a DUI. Even on a bicycles its still illegal.
Yes and its illegal on lawn tractors too. Drunks who have had licenses taken away have thought they could get away with that too. Its illegal either way but the average person who has a drinking addiction doesn't check out the law. They think they can get away with it and thats about as far as the thought process goes.
I'm concerned with what happens with the e-bikes I've seen coming up fast in the bike lane that have a huge SUV make a right hand turn in front of them. Somebody is going to kill an E-cyclist and they will get manslaughter charges but essentially the E-bike was illegally passing on the right and approaching at a speed the motorist doesn't expect.
Old 10-28-19, 07:30 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
. Connecticut has the strictest requirement, requiring operators and passengers for all classes of e-bikes to wear protective headgear.
That's just bizarre since you don't need one on a motorcycle.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-28-19, 09:27 PM
plittle2005

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I believe that any vehicle that operates under its own power (not "pedal assist") must be DOT (lights, brakes etc). You just don't have to get a "motorcycle" license endorsement under 50 cc.
Old 10-29-19, 12:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Is this really going to become a thing on BF? I'm out of here if, or when, a majority of posts become about e-bikes and what is wrong with them.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Here's a post about e-bikes and what is wrong with them.

E-bikes are bicycles with an electric motor. Sometimes they break or run out of power, then they are just exceptionally heavy bicycles. If the motor is of sufficient power, they can reach speeds and carry loads that render their use on a MUP dangerous.
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Didn't you accuse me of the arrogance of personal viewpoints applied generally? I haven't seen many e-bikes limping home under pedal power. Nor have I seen many e-bikes terrorizing MUP's. Seems like most e-bike riders know better than to take them on MUP's or off-road unless they are designed for that purpose. I guess you don't like e-bikes. <shrug> I doubt the people (more and more everyday) care what you think about it.
Woosh!!!!!! Get someone to explain the joke to you.

And no, I don't even know what "the arrogance of personal viewpoints applied generally" is supposed to mean. I said you were arrogant when you told me how I'd feel about a prison sentence if a loved one of mine was hit by a truck, a rhetorical ploy that is odious on multiple levels.

Now you're speaking for "the people (more and more everyday)" ?! Your buffoonish tantrums are hilarious!

And just to be clear, I have seen two incidents of clearly overpowered/very heavy ebikes on one of the busiest MUPs in the nation. I've also seen hundreds of normally powered ones there. Please note that I have never complained about the normal ones.
Old 10-29-19, 12:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by KraneXL
No, I'm pretty sure that's not the point. But even if it is it was made badly. High powered motor vehicles don't get a license pass simply because you attach pedals to them.

In reading back, now I don't get whether these indirect inferences are to be taken seriously or just plain sarcasm.

The point is that if you don't need a license, a dui bust doesn't prevent you from going out and riding the bike the day after your conviction, while driving on the suspended license is a crime. If the law allows too much power on unlicensed ebikes, obviously it could become a dui suspension loophole.
Old 10-29-19, 05:05 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by thepartsguy
I could see the concern for drunks now being on e-bikes because they have had the DL revoked. I'm sure its happening.
I actually don't care about drunks on bicycle, e-bikes, or motorcycles.

on 4 wheels (or 3) there is no balance, all they need to do is throttle it.

where as on 2 wheels, they are sooner to crash and hurt themselves, before they get far enough to hurt someone else. If they don't loose balance, then it stands to reason they are probably capable. Minus running stop signs. Which I look left and right anyways, even if I have the right away because I don't even have faith in sober people operating machines.
Old 10-29-19, 06:37 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
That's just bizarre since you don't need one on a motorcycle.
True. The motorcycle lobby is much bigger than the e-bike lobby.
Old 10-29-19, 06:39 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I actually don't care about drunks on bicycle, e-bikes, or motorcycles.

on 4 wheels (or 3) there is no balance, all they need to do is throttle it.

where as on 2 wheels, they are sooner to crash and hurt themselves, before they get far enough to hurt someone else. If they don't loose balance, then it stands to reason they are probably capable. Minus running stop signs. Which I look left and right anyways, even if I have the right away because I don't even have faith in sober people operating machines.
I think anyone who is drunk and operating a vehicle capable of injuring or killing someone is a serious problem.
Old 10-29-19, 07:52 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by bruce19
I think anyone who is drunk and operating a vehicle capable of injuring or killing someone is a serious problem.
As of now.... I can't seem to find a pedal assist E-bike Drunk accident that harmed someone in the news. Unlike 4 wheel car drunk drivers.

So either the people that can afford a 3-5 thousand dollar pedal assist bicycle are too smart to drink/ride, or people that are drunk enough to harm people are too drunk to ride on 2 wheels.
Old 10-30-19, 10:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

As of now.... I can't seem to find a pedal assist E-bike Drunk accident that harmed someone in the news. Unlike 4 wheel car drunk drivers.

So either the people that can afford a 3-5 thousand dollar pedal assist bicycle are too smart to drink/ride, or people that are drunk enough to harm people are too drunk to ride on 2 wheels.
Not much of a student of probability, are you? Compare the numbers of cars and trucks on the road at any given time vs. the number of e-assist bikes and the number of years that each type of vehicle has been commonly found.

It's certainly possible to kill someone on a motorcycle by riding drunk--see https://www.coloradoan.com/story/new...-7/3976342002/

I think having pedal assist up to 20 mph probably doesn't increase the risk to the public caused by drunk riding to anything especially significant, but there's no doubt the higher the MPH, the bigger the threat.
Old 10-30-19, 01:20 PM
Metieval

Not much of a student of probability, are you?
I like Probability, Unfortunately the argument that destroys probability, is off limits to post here on BF.
Old 10-30-19, 01:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I like Probability, Unfortunately the argument that destroys probability, is off limits to post here on BF.
Well, I can't argue with that.

A friend of mine just had a very interesting experience where a junkie on a bike somehow managed to pass out under her moving car. He was unhurt, but his bike was a little damaged. A cop witnessed the whole thing, and let the disoriented fellow just ride off, which he was very anxious to do. He really had no idea why everyone was suddenly talking to him and what had just happened (no, he didn't hit his head). No report was taken and my friend was very puzzled by the whole incident when the cop told her to just leave the scene. I think that's a pretty good example of how seriously cops take BUI.
Old 10-30-19, 01:51 PM
Metieval

Well, I can't argue with that.

A friend of mine just had a very interesting experience where a junkie on a bike somehow managed to pass out under her moving car. He was unhurt, but his bike was a little damaged. A cop witnessed the whole thing, and let the disoriented fellow just ride off, which he was very anxious to do. He really had no idea why everyone was suddenly talking to him and what had just happened (no, he didn't hit his head). No report was taken and my friend was very puzzled by the whole incident when the cop told her to just leave the scene. I think that's a pretty good example of how seriously cops take BUI.
OMG , your friend almost died!!!!
Old 10-30-19, 01:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

OMG , your friend almost died!!!!
Uhh, no, not the point. I'm agreeing that drunk bicyclists are mostly threats to themselves, and that law enforcement treats them accordingly.

I do think someone that out of it is probably a threat to pedestrians, however. Just not a very big one because his inebriation probably makes it difficult to maintain anything but a really slow speed. Put a motor on that guy's bike, though, and I think the story could be quite different.
Old 10-30-19, 02:03 PM
Metieval

Uhh, no, not the point. I'm agreeing that drunk bicyclists are mostly threats to themselves, and that law enforcement treats them accordingly.

I do think someone that out of it is probably a threat to pedestrians, however. Just not a very big one because his inebriation probably makes it difficult to maintain anything but a really slow speed. Put a motor on that guy's bike, though, and I think the story could be quite different.
the Probability that he makes it far enough to hurt someone else before hurting himself. Is what?
Old 10-30-19, 02:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

the Probability that he makes it far enough to hurt someone else before hurting himself. Is what?
A lot higher if the bike is propelling itself with him on it rather than him providing the propulsion.

People manage to walk to the car when they're quite drunk. I'm pretty sure that walking requires more coordination than sitting on a powered bike.

Look, you already said you can't post your real argument, so I posted the story to illustrate something else, not to keep arguing with you. I'm really not interested in going any further with this as now we're just going to make up numbers and multiply them by each other. Have a nice day.
Old 10-30-19, 02:30 PM
Metieval

A lot higher if the bike is propelling itself with him on it rather than him providing the propulsion.
yeah that is what I love the most about 2 wheeled vehicles. The self balancing!

Next year they will make self steering 2 wheeled vehicles and then we can just read books while riding on them.
Old 10-30-19, 02:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

yeah that is what I love the most about 2 wheeled vehicles. The self balancing!

Next year they will make self steering 2 wheeled vehicles and then we can just read books while riding on them.
Actually, they are self-balancing:

Surprised you didn't know that.
Old 10-30-19, 03:00 PM
Metieval

Perfect for going down straight sidewalks, to hit pedestrians with. Oh wait it self steered into a tree first.

There might be a reason they made that video in an open field vs down a sidewalk.
Old 10-30-19, 04:06 PM
myisland

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
My only concern with e-bikes is with huge heavy ones with 5-inch tires coming towards me at 30-40 mph in the opposing lane on the beach bike path. Many of them not even pedaling and riding hands-free and /or looking at phone. These are not legal and very dangerous.

Last edited by myisland; 10-31-19 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-31-19, 05:07 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
So far, the main issue with e-bikes seems to be people's imagination.
Old 10-31-19, 05:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Perfect for going down straight sidewalks, to hit pedestrians with. Oh wait it self steered into a tree first.

There might be a reason they made that video in an open field vs down a sidewalk.
Point is balancing a bike is something a drunk person can do. You're assuming something that just isn't true when you claim otherwise.

Small children can keep a bike upright for quite some distance. Drunk people do it all the time. It's adorable that you think it requires so much coordination that any significant level of intoxication will prevent someone from riding a motorized bike, but there's literally no reason to believe that the ability to balance will be impaired before someone's ability to steer and/or their judgment. Point is a person can operate a two wheeled vehicle badly for quite some distance, not that there aren't a bunch of riderless bikes, which you posed as a straw man. I was just showing your incompetence at creating a straw man since you chose the phrase "self-balancing."
Old 10-31-19, 05:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by PepeM
So far, the main issue with e-bikes seems to be people's imagination.
So, if you have a bunch of powered vehicles capable of road speeds greater than 30 mph that you can ride without a license, do you think "DUI suspension loophole" is a huge stretch ? Regulation requires anticipating obvious issues before they become commonplace.
Old 10-31-19, 05:39 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
So, if you have a bunch of powered vehicles capable of road speeds greater than 30 mph that you can ride without a license, do you think "DUI suspension loophole" is a huge stretch ?
I do think that the idea that we will get a bunch of drunk people terrorizing the country on e-bikes is a bit of a stretch, yes.
Likes For PepeM:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.