Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava heat map - update intervals?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-19, 08:18 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

I read the article on Strava on how the heat map was created, the updates to the code, etc,. However, that was dated in 2017. All it references for future updates is there being more frequent updates. Does anyone know how often? Is it random? Or are there regular/periodic updates? I am also under the impression that the data is sampled in a rolling 2 year interval. As in the next update to the map that comes out will only go back from the current time to 2 years prior, not anything before that. Am I off base?

I have been using the heat map since 2014 to route plan. It is an interesting tool, but I think the "tool" aspect should be taken very carefully - as in to not go off the map entirely. I've found several interesting things in the heat maps related to cycling. One is I've done the majority of around 2500 miles across the Illinois and Michigan Canal Trail in IL. If you look at the heat map in relation to where the trail is - the roads are more heavily traveled than the trail. I found another "skew" in the map data at Highbanks Metro Park in Ohio - there must be someone, or a group of people, that work at an engineering complex across the street and do lunch break rides through the park - the park road loop to the engineering facility is a solid white/high-traveled zone.

That isn't to say the "skews" are bad, I just find it very interesting in areas I have been and/or know and see what actually has recorded traffic vs what is actually there (trails vs roads - parks, countryside, etc). Going back to the I&M Canal Trail example - if I were to go off the heat map that would put me on the roads and out there I'd much rather stick to the trail.
Old 10-30-19, 07:18 AM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
Well, I can definitely see changes to the heatmap in my area from this year. My daily workout routine is pretty visible, including variations made due to road construction this summer. (There are a few other active people in my area, but it's quiet suburban/rurual-ish area.)
Likes For Synack42:
Old 10-30-19, 04:06 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Uh, the statement on the page reads:

• The heatmap shows 'heat' made by aggregated, public activities over the last two years.
  • The heatmap is updated monthly.
  • Activity that athletes mark as private is not visible.
  • Athletes may opt out by updating their privacy settings.
  • Areas with very little activity may not show any 'heat.'
When it was new, it was fun seeing each of my individual rides on the map. Now there is way too much data - although one of the setting (blue I think) still shows my indidulal rides. For instance I like to bike across water (in the winter), and clearly I'm the only one doing that around here.