Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I am a 1X drivetrain convert

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I am a 1X drivetrain convert

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-19, 09:41 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
I believe many bikes are right lever/front brake as sold new in countries that vehicles are driven on the left side of the road. Also, by some Americans that are influenced by the motorcycles they ride.

Yeah, I can't deal with a left front brake. In England I naturally cut my teeth on the status quo, and have to swap my levers when purchasing assembled hydro brakes in non-uk spec.
Old 11-15-19, 10:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
I believe many bikes are right lever/front brake as sold new in countries that vehicles are driven on the left side of the road. Also, by some Americans that are influenced by the motorcycles they ride.
Yes. It's an interesting setup- it's really just interesting that it varies from region to region. Tradition is strong. So are consumer safety standards.
Old 11-16-19, 04:29 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
1xN drivetrain have been my favorite since a long time before they became trendy. Have or had a 1x1, 1x3, 1x5, 1x7, 1x8, 1x9 and 1x10.
My N+1 bike will be a 1xN.
1xN set up is highly pragmatic.
Old 11-16-19, 04:51 AM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yes. It's an interesting setup- it's really just interesting that it varies from region to region. Tradition is strong. So are consumer safety standards.
Yea, I had to have my LBS swap my setup when it came in because by default, they would have installed it with the left/front configuration (Japan). I'm from the US, and every muscle in me would have been fighting the idea of using the left brake. It's just not a thing.
Old 11-16-19, 10:23 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by markjenn
Trimming is gradually going away, but it does require careful FD setup. By my count a FD has five adjustments to get right: upper limit, lower limit, height, yaw, and cable tension and they all have to be tweaked while you work through all the gears in the back. It's not rocket science, but with 1x it all goes away; I think the time it takes to setup 1x is maybe a third of 2x.

BTW, I like (and drive) manuals also. But I have no desire to drive a manual with 2-speed transfer case where you had to anticipate what range the transfer case should be in for the upcoming terrain and sometimes shift two things to be in the right gear.

- Mark
Yes, a FD has five and a RD has four: U/L limit, B-limit and cable tension, so by my count that only makes one more adjustment on a FD, assuming your hangar doesn't get tweaked. If you're spending twice the time on the FD as the RD, something is wrong with your approach. It's not really any more difficult than a RD and is mostly a once-and-done thing unless you change chainring size. It still easily gets you 14-16 gears from a 2x11 setup, depending on your gearing choices and how you shift so wider range with closer spacing is easy to have.

Driving a stick shift is always about anticipating upcoming terrain though and then using four limbs to simultaneously work five controls. Bikes are simple; no clutch, no rev matching, no heel-toe shifting and with ergo shifters you have a limb for every control. When you swap chainrings you move the RD about three positions in the opposite direction and carry on pedaling.
Old 11-17-19, 10:24 AM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
Yes, a FD has five and a RD has four: U/L limit, B-limit and cable tension, so by my count that only makes one more adjustment on a FD, assuming your hangar doesn't get tweaked. If you're spending twice the time on the FD as the RD, something is wrong with your approach.
To belabor this a little more, I didn’t say a FD took twice as long to setup as a RD; I said setting up a 1x drivetrain took less than half the time as 2x. You are completely eliminating one derailleur which also eliminates having to adjust for the interactions between the two.

- Mark
Old 11-17-19, 11:06 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Doing something hard for no reason might have been a good idea before I had any character, but now with a deplorable excess thereof, I can skip it
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-17-19, 05:20 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I am in the process of re-building a Ti classic of my wife's. All 9100 Dura-Ace and some boutique stuff in the super light area.
We decided yet another 1X for the house.
I can't decide if a 11-30 cassette or 12-28. I'm leaning 12-28 and then go 42, or 44T front.
Old 11-17-19, 05:35 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I can't decide if a 11-30 cassette or 12-28. I'm leaning 12-28 and then go 42, or 44T front.
IMHO, depending upon terrain and wife's riding habits- I would pick 11-30/42.
Old 11-17-19, 05:57 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by martianone
IMHO, depending upon terrain and wife's riding habits- I would pick 11-30/42.
That 42X11 is a big top gear that would not be used. The low end would be. There still are 11 speeds and mostly flat around here. I'm going to go with big gear around top 90in.

A 40X12-28 is a 90in-38in and that covers 95% of what we do now.
An 11-30 - I'd do 38X11-30 is 93in-34in low - and more weight.

RECON make some strange ratio options where it is a straight block except the last two big cogs. They are super light, but don't shift as well.
Old 11-17-19, 06:36 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I like the idea of the 42x12-28, too. Why build in gears that you won't use and bigger gaps than necessary, if you can avoid it?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-17-19, 06:57 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I like the idea of the 42x12-28, too. Why build in gears that you won't use and bigger gaps than necessary, if you can avoid it?
We have a tandem. That goes fast. On singles there is braking on descents. She did that as a dominant racer. It didn't really matter as up hills made the difference. I am more fearful than I used to be, but I rarely exceed 30mph, so I see no point with that extra ring. And as mentioned above, there is more cross-over potential with two rings than one. The Wolf Tooth is offset. It will be straight line on the most used cog and moved 5 up or 5 down in the extreme positions. The new Dura-Ace chains are fantastic and 5 cogs is not significant. I'm still a bit torn over a RECON solid alloy billet vs a DA cassette. Do I want to give up a bit of quality and performance to have the very best - or not?
Old 11-18-19, 02:21 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
I am the original owner of a 20+ yr. old classic Specialized Hard Rock MTB. It came with 3x7 (11-28) and I've kept it that way only because I never thought of any other config. In all the time I've owned it, I changed the FR only once going up a steep hill. And I'm typically riding in 3-7 and only very rarely use 1-2.

After reading this I may try out the 1x config and maybe 8+ on the cassette. Have to figure out the best ratios, tho.

Thx for given me something new to consider
Old 11-21-19, 04:49 PM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
Hilarious to read some of your comments.
People go 1x because they think shifting is too hard? LOL
People go 1x because they are right hand dominant? Riiiiiiiiiiight.
People who ride 1x must like automatic transmissions? Share your drugs! I'll have what ever you're smokin'. It's so funny how people are quick to judge why other people do things.
Likes For GnipGnop:
Old 11-21-19, 05:42 PM
Fatter Frank

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roll Elite 2015 Trek Verve 3

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I'm onboard, not so patiently waiting to get my new Specialized Roll out of lay-away. 1 x 9 on the right. My slick Elektra brass bell smartly on the left. Riding that rig is going to bring out the kid in me. Can't wait to hear the cards against the spokes!
Likes For Fatter Frank:
Old 11-22-19, 06:30 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by GnipGnop
Hilarious to read some of your comments.
People go 1x because they think shifting is too hard? LOL
People go 1x because they are right hand dominant? Riiiiiiiiiiight.
People who ride 1x must like automatic transmissions? Share your drugs! I'll have what ever you're smokin'. It's so funny how people are quick to judge why other people do things.
#1 It would be very hard to see anything other than a 1X in MTB or cx Nationals in any category.
#2 I'm not sure I understand if you are for or against. But IMO - shifting is too hard. Maybe like comparing vinyl to digital (DACs) Audio - but, yea, shifting is too hard.

If not, explain point #1 .
Old 11-23-19, 08:38 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
The new riders are happy with their soft lives. 1x is so much easier. Less to think about.
Old 11-25-19, 05:13 PM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
#1 It would be very hard to see anything other than a 1X in MTB or cx Nationals in any category.
#2 I'm not sure I understand if you are for or against. But IMO - shifting is too hard. Maybe like comparing vinyl to digital (DACs) Audio - but, yea, shifting is too hard.

If not, explain point #1 .
I was parsing the comments I had read earlier. I have 1x and I think its great! I was laughing at the comments guessing why people switch to 1x.
Likes For GnipGnop:
Old 11-26-19, 04:58 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
The new riders are happy with their soft lives. 1x is so much easier. Less to think about.
just because that's you, doesn't means it applies to all.
Old 11-26-19, 09:41 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I'm just appreciating the irony of that post-- most of the anti-1X crowd eschew it because of "big jumps between gears," so "1X is so much easier" tickles me. Should be the tagline: 1X. It's harder and easier.
Old 11-27-19, 03:15 PM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Im a lefty.

I havent once, before now, even thought about shifting the rear with my right hand as being bad/less than ideal. And now that Ive thought about it, I dont find it less than ideal.
I am left hand dominant, but that doesnt mean my right hand is a useless bundle of wild untrained nerves.

We all(well most all) type with both hands and I dont see shifting as any different- its hardly some difficult coordination.
If someone cant shift with their non-dominant hand, I would be concerned for their safety when riding- totally serious.

Right side shifter controlling the rear makes sense to me because that brake controls the rear. Left side controls the front shifter and front brake. Pretty simple concept. If the left controlled rear shifting and front brake- that would be odd.

Besides- as a lefty who has been forced to adapt to a righty's world(drinking fountains, scissors, can opener- I have grown used to these hardships. The struggle is real. ***
Left-handed too. No hesitations about shifting with right-hand. If I need to activate any controls while on the bike (like lights, bike computer bell) I prefer to use my right hand anyway cause I have more confidence in the strength and dexterity in my left hand to keep the bar straight.