Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you like the Treadwell bicycles ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-22-19, 09:14 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...w%20descending
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 12-25-19, 08:21 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I do like this bike. It is a no-nonsense utilitarian bike. Bars above the saddle, so nice upright position and easy on and off frame design. For an around town, general cruise bike, I think they have a winner.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 12-25-19, 09:39 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I'll probably never ride a Treadwell unless I find a used one for sale in several years, but I sure like the look of it from here. It could be a great bike for my all purpose riding needs.
Old 12-25-19, 11:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Seems a bit pricey for the specs.
Old 12-25-19, 12:34 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

The tracking device on the Treadwell make it interesting to me. Makes it very easy to see your mileage/speed etc. no other fancy stuff required.

I also like the BMX style handlebars.
Old 12-26-19, 12:36 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
They mostly look pretty nice, though I can't stand that one color scheme with the pink and gray. Also, not enough gears, and I'm not a fan of internal cabling. Hydro brakes are a plus on the higher-end models, though, assuming they're reliable. Only two sizes? They're going for the casual market.
Old 12-26-19, 05:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
The tracking device on the Treadwell make it interesting to me. Makes it very easy to see your mileage/speed etc. no other fancy stuff required.

I also like the BMX style handlebars.

Not knocking your preferences here, but I for the life of me cannot figure out any way this bike would be "spicy."
Old 12-26-19, 05:33 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
I don't need an around town bike because I already have too many bikes. It is a good idea, sort of an updated version of a French "Porteur", with its 650B wheels and front rack. It's interesting how the 650B(or if you prefer, 27.5) wheel size has been adopted by the biggies. Fifteen years ago it was just la Confrerie des 650B in France Gr,ant Petersen, and a few Japanese who wanted that size wheel.
Old 12-26-19, 07:17 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Not knocking your preferences here, but I for the life of me cannot figure out any way this bike would be "spicy."
Bicycle is directly connected to the Cannondale App and it’s BMX styling is spicy. Thank you very much.
Old 12-26-19, 07:38 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Overpriced, down market bike with a 'special app', sold by a major supplier.
Maybe a 2 year product run is my prediction.

Still, this bike took zero engineering time - so, on with the development of cheap e-bikes for this type of consumer.
My 24" BMX fills the bill (less tacking app) = PLUS I can 'spin the bars' on my bike! WooHoo!
Old 12-26-19, 07:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Bicycle is directly connected to the Cannondale App and it’s BMX styling is spicy. Thank you very much.

Hate to tell you this, but the street bike those handlebars and frame most resemble to me are the bike share bikes I was riding in DC while visiting family over Thanksgiving. Those bikes lacked even salt and pepper. This looks something like a lighter and smaller version of one of those, albeit with better brakes and gears.

My opinion on the bike, since you asked (OP) is that it looks like a very boring, overly upright posture for me, and that I would rather have something cheaper and with a rear rack for utility riding. The app thing is just a useless gimmick as far as I'm concerned.

Hope you enjoy the bike, but given your history of starting threads just to start fights over preferences (the Trek thread!), don't really believe you sincerely wanted anyone's opinions.
Old 12-26-19, 09:47 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
This is extremely expensive
Old 12-26-19, 10:43 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
A bike with cheap components that is heavily overpriced. I would pass heavily on it. The "nicest" one is almost a grand and comes with cheap entry level components that sounds like a very poor buy. The only thing that is even slightly cool is the front rack but the people who are likely to own one probably wouldn't be able to handle a front load so easily.

This is another Crackandfail I that just doesn't make sense but I think they were trying to copy the Specialized Roll which has been out for a number of years now and has sold reasonably well.
Old 12-26-19, 10:54 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
A definite improvement over a department store bike!
Old 12-26-19, 10:57 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
Small market, and as @Wildwood notes, probably a short production run ... and a high profit margin, The tracking app is a gimmick ... but a good one, because the people who would buy a bike like this probably aren't interested in getting on Strava and all that .... much more interested in feeding data to their chosen fitness app.

This is not a bicycle for "cyclists;" it is a bicycle for people who might like to ride a bike now and then.It seems well-designed for what it is meant to do, and for the people who are likely to consider buying it. There are other "Citi-bikes" out there, but this one, because it is sold by a major bike brand, will probably be easier for people to find, test-ride and buy.

Edit: Also, this is a bike designed for whatever modern "yuppies" are called---young, urbanized, cosmopolitan, a little trendy ... the type of people who look for quaint boutiques and coffee bars when picking places to live. Those people tend to have some cash, and are used to getting charged inflated prices (Starbucks coffee .... or worse, the ultra-hip, "fair-trade" upscale, "You've got to try this new spot" coffee shop of the moment, which probably charges as much for a cup of coffee with whipped milk as the ordinary supermarket charges for a 12-ounce bag of beans.) These people look at money and value differently than we do ... I see a $900 bike and I am expecting a certain functionality, and a certain level of components ... and know what they are.

The customers for this bike have no clue what Tourney, Claris, or Sora might be .... and don't care. They know that if they buy a bike form Cannondale it will last ... and it will, because even the lowest-level Shimano stuff will handle gentle, occasional usage for years. Sure, it might not hold fine adjustment for tens of thousands of shifts ... but for the use these bikes will probably get, that might be ten years.

What you have here is the equivalent of the $10kK and $15K bikes sold buy the big manufacturers .... luxury tax. Those incredibly expensive bikes are not three times as good as the $6K offerings from the same companies ... but after a certain price point, sale price has no relation to production cost, and the higher price is actually a feature, not a drawback, to certain customers.

This might be a $300 bicycle, but the people buying it aren't likely to have spent a lot of time shopping for features and benefits .... most likely one person sees and add and buys one, then his or her friends follow suit.

Last edited by Maelochs; 12-26-19 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-26-19, 11:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Small market, and as @Wildwood notes, probably a short production run ... and a high profit margin,
It's a high profit margin if it sells at list price.

I think the problem here is this is a relatively high price for this type of bike and will therefore not sell well enough.

To me it looks like they cheaped on the drive train to give it expensive brakes.
Old 12-26-19, 11:20 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Every mfg has a version of this bike. In typical C’dale fashion, theirs is a refined, quality made, very expensive take on the genre. It’s nothing I would be interested in, but with the marketing spin I can see how they’d sell more than a few.

Their E-bike version page is disappointingly light on details but I doubt the target market would be too concerned about that. The design is very minimalistic and unobtrusive which might be just what some people want in an E-bike.

Personally, I’ve never been much of a C’dale fan. Not because the bikes aren’t well built, but because they’re always at the higher end of the price range for pretty much no reason. They may have the smoothest joints in the business but, who cares? Some of the stiffest, buzziest aluminum framed bikes I’ve ever ridden were C’dales which is hardly any reason to pay extra.

So, for the record, we bought the Specialized version of the same bike called “Roll,” for my wife. Better specs, uglier welds, cheaper price. We’re happy.

-Kedosto
Old 12-26-19, 11:57 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 587 Posts
"Do you like the Treadwell bicycles ?"

No.
Old 12-26-19, 02:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by badger1
"Do you like the Treadwell bicycles ?"

No.

I don't even like the name. Not sure why they'd want to sound like "treadmill"?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-26-19, 03:42 PM
badger1

I don't even like the name. Not sure why they'd want to sound like "treadmill"?
Well, I suppose 'Peloton' is taken, so they had to come up with something? "I gave her/him (or insert chosen objective case personal pronoun here) a Treadwell for Christmas, and now there's no stopping her/him etc.!"

You're quite right; 'Treadwell' sounds like a brand name for one of those stair-stepper contraption thingies.
Likes For badger1:
Old 12-26-19, 03:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by badger1
Well, I suppose 'Peloton' is taken, so they had to come up with something? "I gave her/him (or insert chosen objective case personal pronoun here) a Treadwell for Christmas, and now there's no stopping her/him etc.!"

You're quite right; 'Treadwell' sounds like a brand name for one of those stair-stepper contraption thingies.
Also sounds like the name of the victim in an old murder mystery movie.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-26-19, 04:17 PM
badger1

Also sounds like the name of the victim in an old murder mystery movie.
Perfect!!

'The Strange Death of Sir Julian Smethwick-Treadwell, Lt Col Royal Fusiliers (ret.)', investigated by ...

Lemming ...
Lemming ...
Lemming of the CID ...
Likes For badger1:
Old 12-26-19, 05:41 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by Kedosto
Every mfg has a version of this bike. In typical C’dale fashion, theirs is a refined, quality made, very expensive take on the genre. It’s nothing I would be interested in, but with the marketing spin I can see how they’d sell more than a few.

Their E-bike version page is disappointingly light on details but I doubt the target market would be too concerned about that. The design is very minimalistic and unobtrusive which might be just what some people want in an E-bike.

Personally, I’ve never been much of a C’dale fan. Not because the bikes aren’t well built, but because they’re always at the higher end of the price range for pretty much no reason. They may have the smoothest joints in the business but, who cares? Some of the stiffest, buzziest aluminum framed bikes I’ve ever ridden were C’dales which is hardly any reason to pay extra.

So, for the record, we bought the Specialized version of the same bike called “Roll,” for my wife. Better specs, uglier welds, cheaper price. We’re happy.

-Kedosto
I agree with this
Old 12-26-19, 05:46 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Hate to tell you this, but the street bike those handlebars and frame most resemble to me are the bike share bikes I was riding in DC while visiting family over Thanksgiving. Those bikes lacked even salt and pepper. This looks something like a lighter and smaller version of one of those, albeit with better brakes and gears.

My opinion on the bike, since you asked (OP) is that it looks like a very boring, overly upright posture for me, and that I would rather have something cheaper and with a rear rack for utility riding. The app thing is just a useless gimmick as far as I'm concerned.

Hope you enjoy the bike, but given your history of starting threads just to start fights over preferences (the Trek thread!), don't really believe you sincerely wanted anyone's opinions.
sounds like you enjoy the fights

actually I am interested in what people have to say about the Treadwell

Lots of Trek’s rolling around where I live and I was curious as to why so many people pick this brand. (I never had one)(I want an old Trek 830 if I ever find one).
Old 12-26-19, 06:27 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
No. Ugly bike with a gimmick to help sell it.