Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

First trip over 50 miles, good and bad.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-13, 09:24 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Met up with a dude on the cites trails, I had ridden short distance with before and we were chatting. He seemed like a real nice dude. I was going to do my normal 30 miles loop and he suggested we go a little farther. I was unfamiliar with the route and relied on him to lead us. There were some BIG drops that were a real hoot to go down, went about 40 MPH in some stretches. I was really worried about getting back up them, he assured me that we would go back a different way that had more gentle inclines. Well we soon were over 30 miles form home and I asked him to please turn back. He said we were just about at the turn around point anyway, I suggested we stop and take a break but he wouldn't. I had a vague idea where I was but would have a hell of a time trying to give instructions to my wife to come get me if I bailed so I just stuck with him.

Well we ended up going back up the same steeps we came sailing down and he admitted that he had lied to me earlier, he was afraid I wouldn't go with him if he told me the truth. Well I was a little pissed by then, AND running out of water. We found a farm house and a lady graciously filled both my water bottles. I was having a hell of a time on the inclines and he kept getting ahead. A few times he would wait at the next turn for me but I have to admit that I got a little concerned as I was not really sure where to turn at times. We took a rather convoluted route to avoid highways and busy roads.

Well we were 20 miles from home and I finally caught up to him after we got off the steeps and by then I was out of water again. I kept looking for a house with someone outside so I wouldn't creep them totally out by asking for water. The first house I saw an old lady and pulled up her drive. She started to Scream "DON'T COME IN HERE!" over and over. Maybe she thought I was a Mormon or something, although I had a bright yellow jersey on and bike shorts. So I kept going. About 1/2 mile further I saw a family outside and was really having a hard time. They gave me water and I drank one bottle and filled both again. I had shouted to my "friend", who was a few hundred feet ahead to wait when I turned in but when I got back to the road he was long gone, he bailed. Funny thing is we had discussed riding with roadies several times before and neither of us could keep up their pace and didn't like falling back and being bailed on, and here he bailed on me. I knew where I was so it wasn't like he left me out in the wild.

When I got home my GPS read 64 miles under my belt. I doubt I'll ever ride with this dude again. I learned my lesson to know the route before I leave and to make sure I can trust who I ride with.

So be careful with whom you ride. My mistakes could of made for a pretty crappy day. It all worked out in the end but I was in over my head. At least my wife was home and could of come to get me, that is if I could find someone to tell me where I was in order to tell my wife.

EDIT: BTW: The GPS I was referring to just collects waypoints, does not actually display maps, just records time and place, I export to SportTracks to see where I went.

Last edited by Rootman; 07-29-13 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-28-13, 09:34 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Great story, serious jerk who led you down the garden path . . .
Old 07-28-13, 10:37 PM
Nihilum

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 7 Sora

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moral of the story: Don't take candy from strangers...or unfamiliar routes with them.
Old 07-28-13, 10:46 PM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HTFU. You did a good ride. This guy pushed you past your false limitations. You should be thankful.
Old 07-29-13, 01:32 AM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika
HTFU. You did a good ride. This guy pushed you past your false limitations. You should be thankful.
Fact! #BeastMode
Old 07-29-13, 06:55 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Astrozombie
That may be true but lying to me and then bailing was not cool. I always think that when you elect to ride with someone you actually RIDE with them. Refusing to take a break and just racing on ahead out of sight was not cool either.

The few times I have been in the lead with someone who wasn't sure where we were going I made sure and keep their pace and stayed with them till we were back to town.
Old 07-29-13, 07:30 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
But I bet you're thinking you might be able to handle a century now.
Old 07-29-13, 07:40 AM
danmc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's one thing to push you harder than you thought you could go, but quite another thing to put you in a situation where you ran out of water and were forced to go to strangers to ask them for some. I'm always afraid I'll run out of water out in the boonies and be forced to go up to a house, and in this day and age that's a scary proposition! Dehyrdration isn't something to play around with.
Old 07-29-13, 07:42 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 267 Posts
Lesson learned with minor consequences...not bad at all.
You survived to write this post so other than an adventure...someone else in sh t up to their eye balls...you should reflect and realize what you have learned...
Some people are crazy for a variety of reasons...ah well...
Interesting stories to tell people.
Well done lad...
Old 07-29-13, 08:38 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Glad you got back with little inconvenience. I recommend that you download the gps and build this as a route map for yourself. Do the same ride again next weekend, bringing extra water and appropriate snacks, but ride it with confidence. Repeat this a few times over the remainder of summer and fall. Great job!
Old 07-29-13, 09:03 AM
blackvans1234

Bikes: '13 Specialized Secteur Compact

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They call me the camel, I cycle with two one liter bottles of water.

It seems that as I get into better shape, I sweat less and drink less water.
Old 07-30-13, 06:25 AM
danmc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blackvans1234
They call me the camel, I cycle with two one liter bottles of water.

It seems that as I get into better shape, I sweat less and drink less water.
HTFU (Hump The F*&K Up)
Old 07-30-13, 06:28 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by danmc
It's one thing to push you harder than you thought you could go, but quite another thing to put you in a situation where you ran out of water and were forced to go to strangers to ask them for some. I'm always afraid I'll run out of water out in the boonies and be forced to go up to a house, and in this day and age that's a scary proposition! Dehyrdration isn't something to play around with.
Absolutely. Don't want to collapse from heat stroke. Also think it is ****ty that dude dropped OP.
Old 07-30-13, 06:57 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Some of my best centuries (100 mile rides) have been the ones where I've left home in the morning and just kept riding here, there, and everywhere as the wind blew me or as my curiosity inspired me until ... "oh look ... I've ridden a century".

And during those rides I've had to use some ingenuity to acquire water. But that's part of the adventure.

I've also made it a point to get to know the area where I live by cycling all (or almost all) the paved roads in a 100+ km radius of where I lived. During the week, I ride shorter routes in different directions. On the weekends I explore further afield.

This was Rootman's first adventure off his "usual 30 mile loop". It has broken the ice, and now he can start exploring all those formerly unfamiliar roads, and others as well. It won't be long until he'll have a whole list of "usual" loops.

Nevermind the GPS etc. Just get a good paper map, and go!!
Old 07-30-13, 07:11 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
That dude was definitely a jerk, but you know more about what you can do on bike now, and you've got a great story! "Don't come in here! Don't come in here! Don't come in here!" Hahaha! That's so crazy.
Old 07-30-13, 08:06 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
A. Congratulations on the miles
B. Sounds like you need to find a way to carry more water
C. Although the guy was a bit of a jerk about it, he pushed you and sometimes thats not a bad thing
D. Now you need to try to go farther than 64 miles

Old 07-30-13, 08:17 AM
studiobassd
StudioBassD Cycle

Bikes: Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! That sounds like a memory from my business venture with a colleague. He says "yeah,we're turning back". Then when you get worn out, they disappear. Sorry on the trouble, mate. It seems like someone's willingness to go the easier route with character is better than the longer route with question. Test the waters, I'd say.