Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling jersey review | Are we being ripped off by cycling manufacturers?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling jersey review | Are we being ripped off by cycling manufacturers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-18, 09:57 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,838 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I don't know what you consider to be "a ton," but Twin Six goes up to 3XL and they're more "American-sized" than most. I wear an L in their Standard (which is their higher-end line, strangely) bibs, and I'm at 36" waist and large-ish in the thighs and posterior.
Thank you I will check them out but ... happily i have enough bike clothes to last me until I lose a lot of weight ... which is a Lot of clothing. ....
Old 02-23-18, 10:16 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
24 minutes of some guy talking about his opinion of jerseys?

I've no idea who he is or what his message is but notice that he is wearing Castelli shorts.

-Tim-
I was hoping somebody would summarize the video for those of us who won't watch it. Thank you for doing that.

I'm probably going to order a 100 % yak wool base layer that costs a lot more than Castelli shorts so I'm probably the wrong person to ask.
Old 02-23-18, 03:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
@canklecat: I have several really cheap jerseys that perform exactly as you describe the good ones. Not only do I not get the polyester stink, I can often wear them two or three times after completely sweating through them and they don't get obnoxiously malodorous when re-heated.

I have some half-price name-brand jerseys which are exactly the same ... which cost two or three times as much as the cheap ones and work exactly the same.

I agree that buying cheap can mean wearing cheap---I try to be careful after having bought some cheap China stuff that was just cheap, not a bargain.

.. the guy in the video seemed moderately honest.
Yeah, it varies a lot. Not so much by manufacturer but by material. I suspect they all buy from the same handful of specialty textile mills, then make jerseys according to their own specs.

And manufacturers upgrade materials over time. The current Pearl Izumi arm warmers, for example, are much different from the set I bought at the outlet store, dated 2012. The newer PI arm, knee and leg warmers are softer, fleecier (without being thick) and more comfortable. My older set feels a bit coarser inside.

I don't think the reviewer in that video was pulling any shenanigans or shilling. But he could do with some editing. Around 90 seconds to 5 minutes is plenty for most videos.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The fact that I can and do buy discounted bike clothing from mainstream makers at 60-70% off of the original MSRP, while assuming the e-tailers and manufacturers are still making money, does suggest there is a lot of mark-up on clothing.
Yup, there's a huge markup in clothing. As a kid in New York I knew folks in the business. As the saying goes in the old neighborhood, "Never pay retail."

However there are valid business reasons for the high markups. Fashion is fickle and there are huge losses in styles that don't sell. And there's a lot of theft in the garment business. In the old days lots of product disappeared between the manufacturer and retailer. It's probably not as rampant now with more monitoring and account on the fly.

Nowadays the biggest source of theft is from Chinese counterfeits and even US based knockoff artists who rip off designs, graphics, etc., and have their products made in Asia to minimize their risk of being sued.

So the legit high end apparel makers are forced to continue selling their newest annual lineup at inflated prices to compensate for the enormous losses.

Originally Posted by f4rrest
Which brands have you found to be less smelly?
Best I've tried personally is Pearl Izumi. In particular their Transfer fabric baselayers are remarkable. They're often discounted a bit on Nashbar and elsewhere. Well worth buying one to try. I'd recommend the sleeveless because it's the most versatile. I wear mine year round, other than the muggiest summer rides. It can also be worn in summer under work or dress shirts. To me the wicking fabric feels better than sweat pouring freely down my back and chest.

But it's really the fabric choice, not so much the manufacturer. Pearl Izumi just happens to choose better fabrics, so their stuff is more likely to remain odor free longer. And by most standards PI is only a mid-grade product, not really high end. I'd imagine the more expensive makers choose the best fabrics to distinguish themselves from the awkwardly named stuff like "Spotti" and "Arsuxeo".

BTW, I'm really nitpicking that Koraman long sleeve jersey I mentioned early. For $20 it ain't bad at all. The pocket design is terrific -- three slip pockets large enough for most phones, a folded up tire, etc., and a smaller zippered pocket for wallet, keys, road ID, etc.

Koraman apparel appears to be pretty comparable to Spotti and Arsuxeo (unfortunate names, yet another reason why the international trade still needs fluent local translators who are thoroughly familiar with idioms and casual usages of language). They all sell very similar looking items at similar prices, with minor detailing differences -- pocket designs, etc.

For me, cheaper jerseys make sense, as long as they hold up for a couple of years. I'm not fast enough for the differences between casual fit, race fit and skinsuits to matter.
Old 02-23-18, 04:34 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Holmes why did you buy Rapha product? They sell nice stuff but the price is silly...Are you happy with the product?
Assos is also crazy expensive....I ride REI sale rack bibs....
Old 02-23-18, 07:46 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Holmes why did you buy Rapha product? They sell nice stuff but the price is silly...Are you happy with the product?
Assos is also crazy expensive....I ride REI sale rack bibs....

Assos and Rapha clearance and sale items are often competitively priced. Rapha especially, is not as expensive as people think.

There are jerseys for $37 and winter tights for $87.50 on the Rapha clearance page right now.
Also keep in mind that some Rapha gear comes with:
- 30 day trial with full refund if you don't like it
- free lifetime crash repair
- free lifetime repair if the garment fails "even after significant use"
- 50% off a smaller size if you lose weight and need to size down

There is a lot of value and if you watch their clearance page you can get great gear at a very good price.

-Tim-
Old 02-23-18, 08:36 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'm probably going to order a 100 % yak wool base layer that costs a lot more than Castelli shorts so I'm probably the wrong person to ask.
Got link?
Old 02-23-18, 09:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

@Doge

https://kora.net/usa/shola-230-zip-men-s.html
Old 02-23-18, 09:55 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
So yak wool is like merino wool on steroids? Hmm. Report back with your impressions.
Old 02-23-18, 10:00 PM
Seattle Forrest

Will do.

I'm a sucker.
Old 02-24-18, 12:53 AM
Doge

Can't decide if it should be underwear or crew.

I was in the arctic circle this month. I could have used. SoCal is a cold 60 now.
Old 02-24-18, 01:44 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Anyone have good luck with AliExpress? I'm interested in some of the jerseys I can get on there. If I do that might get some glasses too from there too.
Old 02-24-18, 06:42 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by canklecat
I don't think the reviewer in that video was pulling any shenanigans or shilling. But he could do with some editing. Around 90 seconds to 5 minutes is plenty for most videos.
yeah, I had it playing int he background and still found it to be mostly empty space. Five minutes he could have covered the topic thoroughly.

Originally Posted by canklecat
And there's a lot of theft in the garment business. In the old days lots of product disappeared between the manufacturer and retailer.
Well, not sure the mafia is into the cycling industry yet ...

But since you know fashion ... you know that name is most of what's sold. Unless the fabric is crap and the stitching sloppy .... (Nashbar has some issues with that in their shorts w while back, seem to have dropped that manufacturer) the biggest difference between Nashbar and Rapha is the tag.

I am with you ... if it lasts and it wicks, it works.

Bibs are a slightly different story, because bad bibs hurt. PI bibs have always been good for me, nad those new Funkier bibs as well.

The chamois tech has been developed to teh point where even top-of-the-lower-third priced bibs have the high-tech pads ... Many $30 and $40 bibs have serious technical chamois.

And yes ... I deal with a lot of bad Asian translations. And a lot of Asians who refuse to believe that their grasp of the English language is in any way inferior to some fool who has actually been living in an English-speaking country since birth. Has made for some interesting editing discussions---and some truly comical advertisements.
Old 02-24-18, 07:32 AM
WhyFi

the biggest difference between Nashbar and Rapha is the tag.
Do you own some Rapha?

I don't own either, Rapha or Nashbar, but I do have garments from various pricepoints, and to say that the label is the biggest difference doesn't come close to squaring with my perception of reality.

Do I find that there are diminishing returns? Absolutely, but sometimes it's that extra 10% of comfort that means that I no longer have that one little thing bothering me on a ride, whether it's a seam that's rubbing in the wrong place, the chamois that's not quite right, or having to tug up or down because the garment's not quite staying where I want it, etc. Do some people have a higher tolerance for these niggles than others? Without a doubt - if you can ride a solo 5-hour century in Hanes tighty-whities and jorts, more power to you, but that doesn't mean that there aren't tangible and valuable (to some) differences between other garments.
Old 02-24-18, 07:54 AM
Maelochs

Okay ... I guess if you buy something that doesn't fit you, it doesn't fit.

The fact that the label says "Assos" or the price tag says "Just sign over your paycheck" doesn't mean that the thing fits, or that it doesn't have a seam which hits just the wrong place on Your body. But particularly for jerseys and also (in my experience) with shorts and bibs,. mot manufacturers have figured out the simple stuff ... it's not like bike short and shirts are new developments. Even the Chinese knockoffs get the dumb stuff right ... they just cheap out on everything that goes into the actual physical garment.

If you bought some stuff that didn't fit You, specifically ... oh, well. Was it bargain-basement cheap? Was it midgrade?

Since you say you don't buy bargain-basement and you don't buy high-end (extrapolating) then you must buy mid-grade stuff ... maybe in the Garneau/Pearl Izumi spectrum.

They also know how to make good clothes ... so if one of their products doesn't work for you ... it might be that specific design and your specific body.

I have a closetful of Nashbar and Performance Bike and Pricepoint jerseys ,... and so Cannondale jerseys (PI/Garneau level.) They are all good.

How much better than a jersey which lasts, fits well, dries fast, doesn't stink, and has the pockets I need, can a $300 jersey be? What else can it offer that I need a jersey to do?

I see your point---if the ultra-cheap stuff is poorly designed or made, yeah, it is just junk. And almost certainly, the really top-end stuff won't be junk.

That doesn't mean everything else, or even anything else is.

I am with you ... a little irritation, even a tag that rubs, a seam that twists, bibs or shorts which sag a tad and catch the nose iof the saddle too often when I am moving around---just not acceptable. I will park a pair of shorts or bibs if they don't offer complete comfort and support. My time on the bike Matters to me, more than any garment, no matter how much I paid.

But once you get past that very low threshhold of "It works" the rest is hype. Assos and Rapha are not twenty times better at just being jerseys than the $7 Nashbar jerseys I own. They might be a little better ... or not ... but what you are paying for is the name.

Come on. We all understand the idea of luxury goods. A Rolex doesn't tell time better ... it tells other things. A Rapha jersey is not per se better than any other jersey except for truly crappy jerseys--and all jerseys are better than those..

And you know ... that Rapha jersey, depending on its cut and your build ... might have a seam which rubs you the wrong way.
Old 02-24-18, 07:58 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Nice spam promo link disguised as discussion.

Old 02-24-18, 08:11 AM
WhyFi

But once you get past that very low threshhold of "It works" the rest is hype. Assos and Rapha are not twenty times better at just being jerseys than the $7 Nashbar jerseys I own. They might be a little better ... or not ... but what you are paying for is the name.
That's my point - maybe it's a very low threshold for you and your riding, but that's certainly not the case with others, which means that the rest isn't just hype and it's not just the name that you're paying for.

And the "20x better" is such a nonsensical argument. A $12 sock doesn't need to be 24x better (how is that quantified, anyway?) than the two-pack that you picked up at the dollar store, they just need to be $11.50 better. The same goes for $7 jerseys vs $140 jerseys.
Old 02-24-18, 09:20 AM
Doge

Will do.
Current kits pretty much get washed after each ride.
The Yak wool reminds me of when my entire kit was wool. I lived in a cooler area and we'd hang the jersey over a rack after a couple hour ride and use it again.

We all seem to need more jerseys now. Or I'm more sensitive to hygiene. But the material makes a big difference in how the thing smells after use.
Old 02-24-18, 09:22 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts

Come on. We all understand the idea of luxury goods. A Rolex doesn't tell time better ... it tells other things. A Rapha jersey is not per se better than any other jersey except for truly crappy jerseys--and all jerseys are better than those..

And you know ... that Rapha jersey, depending on its cut and your build ... might have a seam which rubs you the wrong way.
Have you owned Rapha jerseys? I tried one to see what all the fuss was about (classic II in nondescript black) and have since migrated from mostly LG to a mix of Rapha and Danny Shane. The fabrics and design details are really rewarding and my own desire to pay more for these items has nothing to do with luxury branding. I'm wondering if you've had a chance to spend any time wearing or riding with the items you're likening to Rolex - a comparison that I think is misinformed. The items are not 20X better, but they are generally better...the same 'diminishing return' price scale as all things cycling whether it be frames, grouppos, or wheelsets. A more appropriate comparison might be comparing Dura Ace to 105. Welcome to cycling.

Last edited by SkepticalOne; 02-24-18 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-24-18, 10:25 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
I'm wondering if you've had a chance to spend any time wearing or riding with the items you're likening to Rolex - a comparison that I think is misinformed.
I'll agree with you that it's misinformed but, amusingly, I think that it's actually an apt comparison for other reasons.

Back in the day, Rolex built their reputation by being the makers of no-nonsense tool watches - reliable, robust movements in tank-like cases, they'd keep ticking no matter what you threw at them. Whether it was a diving watch 100m under the surface or a chronograph at the track, getting banged up in the pits and while keeping accurate lap times, they just worked. No one bought a Rolex for status - they bought them because they were the right tool for the job. The perception of Rolex as a luxury brand came later and, even now, it's primarily held by those that are looking in from the outside.
Old 02-24-18, 10:44 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Living in Tucson, I've found I prefer jerseys that have at least 3/4 length zippers, and decent inexpensive jerseys tend not to have them.

Having said that, I can still find jerseys on sale for 40-50 bucks that meet my criteria.
Old 02-24-18, 11:22 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
Nobody can rip you off unless you let them. Lots of good places to buy jerseys at a fair price. Try Nashbar, Voler and Kucharik, to name a few. Also charity rides usually sell off past year's ride jerseys at substantial discount. Ask around.
For real. Now, I have no opinion about high end jerseys because they are generally race cut and don't fit me. But mid priced jerseys that retail from $60 to $80 are often discounted deeply. Just in the last few months, I picked up a new/old stock Mt. Borah jersey for $10 at a bike swap, two Primal jerseys from Nashbar and Performance for $25 and $30 each, a Pearl Izumi long sleeve jersey for $25, also from nashbar. And, I bought a bunch of women's jerseys and a pair of shorts from a local bike shop for my wife for $20 to $30 a piece.
Old 02-24-18, 11:50 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'll agree with you that it's misinformed but, amusingly, I think that it's actually an apt comparison for other reasons.

Back in the day, Rolex built their reputation by being the makers of no-nonsense tool watches - reliable, robust movements in tank-like cases, they'd keep ticking no matter what you threw at them. Whether it was a diving watch 100m under the surface or a chronograph at the track, getting banged up in the pits and while keeping accurate lap times, they just worked. No one bought a Rolex for status - they bought them because they were the right tool for the job. The perception of Rolex as a luxury brand came later and, even now, it's primarily held by those that are looking in from the outside.
That is true. I used to be a watch nerd (or as the online watch community calls it, a WIS). Back in the day when luxury watches were tiny, thin, and gold, Rolex made robust watches like the Datejust, the Daytona, the Explorer, and the Submariner. Watches made for doing stuff, like diving, mountain climbing, etc...

I think the luxury Rolex thing came about in the 80s, when it became a yuppie status symbol.

I am not a Rolex guy as I don't like that yuppie status symbol image. And I consider them overpriced. But I understand the appeal of a quality watch. A cheap watch tells time as well as an expensive watch, or sometimes even better. But that is not the point. A cheap, quartz will work fine for a period of time, probably a few years. But the cheap metal the case and/or bracelet is made of will get beat up after a couple of years. and if the movement breaks, it is probably not worth fixing. Better quality watches are made out of higher quality materials and look and feel good on the wrist for decades. My two go to watches these days are a vintage Omega from the late 1960s and a modern Omega from around 2000. Both are high quality automatics that tell, and will tell decent time for years, and when they stop telling good time, can be repaired.

Last edited by MRT2; 02-24-18 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-24-18, 12:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Doge
Current kits pretty much get washed after each ride.
The Yak wool reminds me of when my entire kit was wool. I lived in a cooler area and we'd hang the jersey over a rack after a couple hour ride and use it again.

We all seem to need more jerseys now. Or I'm more sensitive to hygiene. But the material makes a big difference in how the thing smells after use.
I backpack occasionally in the summer. Gotta pack light, so I'll wear the same thing for three or four days in a row. (And then have a clean change of clothes waiting for me in the car.) Wool is great for that, still smells tolerable after days of wear. I've heard the bacteria in our sweat that makes body odor can't live in wool.
Old 02-24-18, 12:28 PM
MRT2

I backpack occasionally in the summer. Gotta pack light, so I'll wear the same thing for three or four days in a row. (And then have a clean change of clothes waiting for me in the car.) Wool is great for that, still smells tolerable after days of wear. I've heard the bacteria in our sweat that makes body odor can't live in wool.
I bought my first, and so far only wool baselayer a few years ago. I could have really used this shirt years ago when I was backpacking around Europe. In those days, I wore cotton T shirts under either cotton, or old fashioned polyester shirts and sweaters. Merino wool would have been much better.
Old 02-24-18, 02:24 PM
thenewjs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Assos and Rapha clearance and sale items are often competitively priced. Rapha especially, is not as expensive as people think.

There are jerseys for $37 and winter tights for $87.50 on the Rapha clearance page right now.
Also keep in mind that some Rapha gear comes with:
- 30 day trial with full refund if you don't like it
- free lifetime crash repair
- free lifetime repair if the garment fails "even after significant use"
- 50% off a smaller size if you lose weight and need to size down

There is a lot of value and if you watch their clearance page you can get great gear at a very good price.

-Tim-
ALL OF THIS!

Rapha is very competitively price when on sale. Even at full price, its competitive to your "higher end" Pearl izumi and ect. From what I see people like to compare it to the stuff they can find in REI and from my experience REI doesn't sell gear comparable to Rapha.

IIRC, Rapha's 30 day return policy doesnt include used gear! ICBW!

Just my opinion/experience. In no way am I saying this is law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.