Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which Sunglasses Are You Using?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which Sunglasses Are You Using?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-18, 05:18 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
The cheapest ones I could find on Amazon. They're not trendy nor stylish but surprisingly, they get the job done. My only complaint is that they're so think its difficult to mount my rear view mirror on them.
Old 04-19-18, 06:55 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Oakley Flak 2.0 - prescription lenses - transition with frosted edges.

$200 out of pocket after insurance.

-Tim-
Dare I ask what additional amount the insurance did cover?
Old 04-19-18, 07:02 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Dare I ask what additional amount the insurance did cover?
Probably about $350-400
Old 04-19-18, 07:37 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Rudy Project photochromatic. Mainly b/c i start rides fairly frequently in the dark. They also work great on cloudy/rainy days. Maybe not 100% the best on sunny days, but they are dark enough for me.
Old 04-19-18, 08:48 PM
nemeseri

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL build, CAAD10, Bianchi Pista '13, Litespeed Antares '03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I think Oakley is great. Not just because the wide range of frames, but also because of the available quality lenses. Regarding lenses for cycling you don't need anything else than the Prizm Road. If the weather tends to be gloomier, go for the Prizm Trail. Other good option is the sapphire iridium.

For road cycling I think Radar EV Path and EVZero Path are great options. Jawbreakers are good too, but I don't dig the aggressive look.
Old 04-19-18, 09:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Smith Pivlock. Love them.
Old 04-19-18, 10:09 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
My pivlocks broke at the pivot.
Old 04-19-18, 10:15 PM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I have a pair of Tifosi Veloce with the day/ night transition lenses with contrast, and with my prescription. I forget I am wearing them most of the time
Old 04-20-18, 03:59 AM
thenewjs

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Jawbreakers, it may be user error, sweat tends pools inside the lenses and air tends to get in and makes eyes water.

I kinda want something bigger, I've developed a skin condition and the sun is tearing up my face.
Old 04-20-18, 05:27 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm currently using $20 Amazon glasses. They came with five lenses and are easy to change, which is very important to me because it's usually bright when I go to work and dark when I leave. Is also nice to not have to stress out about expensive glasses. I once tried a $10 pair from Ribble, which I hated because it was too small for my nose, super hard to change lenses, and came with two right side clear lenses rendering then useless for my evening commute.

Originally Posted by cthenn
Julbo's lenses are vastly superior to Oakley's. I own several pairs of each, and it's not even close. I'm not going to argue the point, to me it's crystal clear (so to speak), Julbo crushes Oakley for lens quality and clarity. And you're not paying 20x of the cost to produce them on the markup. I use Julbo Spectron 4 lenses for mountaineering, and Spectron 3 for cycling. They have several models, currently I have two pairs of the "Dust" model, which I believe is an older model at this point. Perfect amount of coverage, without looking like those god-awful massive ski goggle/motocross glasses that seem to be the popular thing for cyclists nowadays. My only gripe with Julbo is the default setting is too large a nose bridge. They make certain models in a smaller version of the normal size, and I'll buy those when they are available. But I have to use rather thick silicone nose pads for a better fit. Other than that, the fit is perfect, wraps around my face perfectly, no sun coming in from the top, don't move around, don't have to keep pushing them up, don't hit my eyelashes, super lightweight. Can't say enough good things about them. I can wear my mountaineering glasses for 12+ hours without even noticing them.

Oh, I also can't stand glasses with a full frame. I prefer glasses with no frame around the bottom of the lens. Just seems to get in the way.
Link?
Old 04-21-18, 05:17 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
I’m a M-Frame Oakley guy normally, but right now I’m wearing Jawbreakers because my M-Frames were done. The salt from sweating for 3 years and not taking the lens out to clean caused the lens to break in the top insert point while I was cleaning the lens.

I prefer no rims on the bottom for when I glance back to check for drivers wanting me dead.

Radars/Radarlocks are a close second
Old 04-21-18, 05:45 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Noahma
I have a pair of Tifosi Veloce with the day/ night transition lenses with contrast, and with my prescription. I forget I am wearing them most of the time
To me, bang for buck, Tifosi makes the highest quality cycling sunglasses for the $$. Not even close to Oakley or Rudy Project. My go to cycling sunglasses are Rudy Project Ergomask because of their durability, optical clarity, coverage, rimless design and very important, 'adjustable nose piece'.

No. 2 are Tifosi's. I wear Tifosi Seek photochromatic in Red whereby lens darkness changes based upon lighting conditions. Same as Rudy's but lighter and smaller. Again,with must have adjustable nose piece.

Both above are rimless for optimal vision in the drops without craning one's neck.

Oakley to me are the most overpriced sunglasses on the market and I wore them for years. No adjustable nose piece.

A question Noahma. Tifosi Veloce with top rim are known for their lens interchangeability.
Questions are:
1. do they have an adjustable nose piece...presuming they do.
2. you mention you ride with prescription lenses. Are corrective lens available for the Veloce's? I wasn't aware of that. If so, what diopter do you wear?....+ or - ?

Pics below of what I ride:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ergomask.jpg (326.4 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg
Tifosi Seek.jpg (19.3 KB, 261 views)
Old 04-21-18, 08:02 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Trademark, yes.
Patent, no.
Neither, quite. Iridium is an element, and Oakley didn't discover it.

Meanwhile, I got some Oakleys a while back, but only wear them on the most intense days. Most of the time I wear the first glasses I bought - Smith Parallel Max, with three types of lenses. Most of the time I use the rose lenses. Not only are they great for contrast, I like how they're neither too dark nor too light. With photochromic lenses, riding into shadows is disconcerting - they're just too dark. On dark days - clear lenses. A lot of the time, though, I just wear my regular glasses, which have transition lenses. They aren't very aero, or pleasant when zipping down descents, though, and sometimes they don't transition quick enough in deep shade (tunnels and the like).
Old 04-21-18, 08:06 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,526 Times in 2,864 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Neither, quite. Iridium is an element, and Oakley didn't discover it.
There are numerous trademarks for the word "Iridium": https://trademarks.justia.com/search?q=iridium
Old 04-21-18, 09:27 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
There are numerous trademarks for the word "Iridium": https://trademarks.justia.com/search?q=iridium
Right: others can use the same name for other things. I was just pointing out that it wasn't a name they created to use for just anything they might make.
Old 04-21-18, 12:36 PM
Noahma

Originally Posted by Campag4life
To me, bang for buck, Tifosi makes the highest quality cycling sunglasses for the $$. Not even close to Oakley or Rudy Project. My go to cycling sunglasses are Rudy Project Ergomask because of their durability, optical clarity, coverage, rimless design and very important, 'adjustable nose piece'.

No. 2 are Tifosi's. I wear Tifosi Seek photochromatic in Red whereby lens darkness changes based upon lighting conditions. Same as Rudy's but lighter and smaller. Again,with must have adjustable nose piece.

Both above are rimless for optimal vision in the drops without craning one's neck.

Oakley to me are the most overpriced sunglasses on the market and I wore them for years. No adjustable nose piece.

A question Noahma. Tifosi Veloce with top rim are known for their lens interchangeability.
Questions are:
2. you mention you ride with prescription lenses. Are corrective lens available for the Veloce's? I wasn't aware of that. If so, what diopter do you wear?....+ or - ?

Campag4life, yes, they do have an adjustable nose. They are very comfortable to wear. I have not taken the lenses out just have kept the ones that I had ordered for them. I am near sighted with stigmatism in both eyes. Nothing to crazy. They are dialed in at -.5 and -1.25 (L,R)
I ordered them from sportrx.com Very easy process.
Old 04-21-18, 02:06 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Campag4life, yes, they do have an adjustable nose. They are very comfortable to wear. I have not taken the lenses out just have kept the ones that I had ordered for them. I am near sighted with stigmatism in both eyes. Nothing to crazy. They are dialed in at -.5 and -1.25 (L,R)
I ordered them from sportrx.com Very easy process.
Much appreciated Noah.
Tifosi Veloce then must be one of the best deals in prescription frames available!...because they are so inexpensive and of course Tifosi makes rock solid sunglasses. By contrast, my eyes are much worse than yours and a + diopter. I may check with sportrx.com and see what range of diopter they can fit in that frame.

Thanks for the tip and ride safe.
Old 04-21-18, 02:11 PM
Noahma

No problem. They were actually recommended to me by Sportrx because the ones I was after did not have options for the prescription anymore. They were a great deal, I went with the transition day/night with contrast option for the lenses. they give an option for normal correction or digital, which is distortion free as the lenses wraps around your head. I am extremely happy with them.
Old 04-21-18, 02:14 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
No problem. They were actually recommended to me by Sportrx because the ones I was after did not have options for the prescription anymore. They were a great deal, I went with the transition day/night with contrast option for the lenses. they give an option for normal correction or digital, which is distortion free as the lenses wraps around your head. I am extremely happy with them.
Seems like a great option. Thanks again.
Old 04-22-18, 10:12 AM
shuru421

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 20 Posts
Is Prop 65 a concern at all? I believe its the BPA warning for sunglasses, the 100%Speedcrafts has this on their website. Or should we just ignore this?
Old 04-22-18, 10:13 AM
shuru421

Originally Posted by Campag4life

Questions are:

Im actually really digging the rudy project ergomask, however seems hard to come by..googling gives me limited options..

Also, does the top brow bar get in the way from a tt stand point of view? You mentioned it doesnt but not even a little???
Old 04-22-18, 10:44 AM
Harumph

Bikes: 2018 BMC RoadMachine 02

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ, polarized. Been wearing them for years and love them.
Old 04-23-18, 01:00 AM
shuru421

I pulled the trigger!

After juggling several options, I decided to go with a company I initially didn't give much mind to, Smith Optics. During my initial search for sunglasses, I can't deny that I came across the Smith Pivlock's (which received pretty good reviews) numerous times, however, was overlooked as my first 2 options (Oakley Flight Jacket, 100% Speedcrafts) were AT THAT POINT, the ones..Silly me

I decided to look into Smith Pivlocks on their website for their tech, the different lens color options, etc. This is when I came across my next sunglasses. The Smith Attack Max. Cant wait till it arrives. Could not have asked for a better gift.

Thank you guys for all the comments, feedback, opinions. It really helped me expand my options and pick the right one...I hope..
Old 04-23-18, 06:57 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by shuru421
Im actually really digging the rudy project ergomask, however seems hard to come by..googling gives me limited options..

Also, does the top brow bar get in the way from a tt stand point of view? You mentioned it doesnt but not even a little???
Rudy has had different versions of the rimless style sunglasses I have worn. I find this style of sunglasses the best for cycling because one isn't looking through the top frame of the sunglasses as with conventional frames such as Oakley and even the popular Rudy Rydon.

That said, I took a quick look at Rudy's website and somewhat surprising, there doesn't seem to be a version of the Ergomask available any longer. Please correct me if others know differently. I like this sunglass because of not only its ergonomics of large coverage and sun protection...but when I am fully down in the drops I see nothing but road ahead. The center frame you see does not obstruct line of sight in the drops. I will say owning previous versions that looked similar to the Ergomask, they were fragile. Not so with the Ergomask...Rudy made it more bullet proof...no doubt due to often reported high warranty returns. The Sportmask and Hypermask suffered frequent temple failures due to a weak design and I am pretty careful with my bike kit.

What I would take a hard look at in your shoes and me as well if/when my current Ergomask glasses give up the ghost, I would look at the following which are also less expensive than the Ergomask. As others have said in this thread, lots to like about this design including once again, most important adjustable nose piece so you can adjust the height of the glasses on your face to get the lense high enough to see the road unobstructed when in the drops:

Edit: I noticed you made your decision. Please come back with a mini review if you would if you get a chance.

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-23-18 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-23-18, 08:36 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Probably about $350-400
Wait you spent over $550 on sunglasses?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.