Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXIV

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXIV

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-19, 04:23 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Some people who do this are douchy of course but I think sometimes people just train hard and get a little stronger than their friends at a given point in time. It feels good to ride at X intensity which just works out to be a little faster than your companions.

For me personally, another issue is that I’m smaller and more aero than many of my male friends. Yet they make more power than me. If we’re riding rollers, I absolutely must use my aero advantage when going downhill and I need to maintain good momentum going into the uphill. So I kind of have to work my way up to the front, I need actively riding both down and up the hills. Whereas they will be coasting down hill and I’d ride up onto their butts during the down hill sections. I’m not being competitive, I’m riding in the manner that will keep me connected overall with the group.

Obviously that’s a very specific example and I’m not saying it explains your friend’s behavior. More that sometimes people are riding how theyre riding for reasons other than douchiness, even though that may not be readily apparent to you at the time.

This sort of conundrum is exactly why I find myself riding solo more often. Sometimes it’s just more enjoyable to go out and ride and not worry about how it’s coming across to anyone else. I had a group ride on my schedule for last Sunday. Previously I would’ve really looked forward to that. But my group ride options boil down mostly to feeling guilty if I ride with any sparkiness or riding solo off the back anyway. At least if I ride solo, I can go out exactly when I want and stop minimally.
I think that is a very natural evolution for someone as serious about cycling performance and results as you are.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-03-19, 04:26 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

I voluntarily moved to the trainer (just a dumb trainer) for most of my midweek TT workouts. I increasingly just don’t like dealing with cars. I have no issue with trainer workouts. They have their advantages: mostly you can get done exactly what you intended to get done with no purposeless riding. Trainer workouts are efficient.

However, I’ve decided I need to get some pedaling in the real world under my belt, I’m around 6 weeks from my goal races. Riding in the real world is definitely more zoomy and fun. Moving through the air and over the ground is just a great feeling.
I see that a lot too. Folks I have ridden with for decades suddenly don’t want to be on the weekday streets. Or wait, maybe it is just me they don’t want to be with. Whatever.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 05-03-19 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-03-19, 04:27 AM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Thank you all for the kind thoughts about Jack. We picked up his ashes yesterday, slowly having closure, he will live forever in our hearts.
Old 05-03-19, 05:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Well 13 would be unlucky wouldn't it?

My office is on the 13th floor.
Old 05-03-19, 06:22 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
So a patient of mine broke his arm (humerus) and is in severe pain. They won't operate on it so it has to be in a sling for 6 weeks.

He is in severe pain but his insurance won't cover a refill of pain meds due to the "war on drugs."

Sad!
Old 05-03-19, 06:40 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Safe travels. Will you be providing daily updates on the road?
I had planned to stay away for the duration, but addiction.
61 very nice miles yesterday. Still early Spring in northern Ohio. Looking for a 3 hour best chance between showers today. Highs in the mid 60s.
It is such a treat to ride hills!
Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 05-03-19, 07:08 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I had planned to stay away for the duration, but addiction.
61 very nice miles yesterday. Still early Spring in northern Ohio. Looking for a 3 hour best chance between showers today. Highs in the mid 60s.
It is such a treat to ride hills!
Liked.
Old 05-03-19, 07:54 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Parody Thread Idea:

I REST MY LEGS - Effort differences between E-Bike and Road Bike Drivetrains
Old 05-03-19, 07:56 AM
rpenmanparker 

So a patient of mine broke his arm (humerus) and is in severe pain. They won't operate on it so it has to be in a sling for 6 weeks.

He is in severe pain but his insurance won't cover a refill of pain meds due to the "war on drugs."

Sad!
It is, and scary too. But surely the common opioids aren't terribly expensive, right? Can he extend the supply with heavy doses of NSAIDs taken together with the opioid? Like 4 ibuprofen every 4-6 hours. And even acetaminophen added to the mix.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 05-03-19 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-03-19, 08:29 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
It is, and scary too. But surely the common opioids aren't terribly expensive, right? Can he extend the supply with heavy doses of NSAIDs taken together with the opioid? Like 4 ibuprofen every 4-6 hours. And even acetaminophen added to the mix.
They are not terribly expensive. But if a patient goes to the pharmacy asking for narcotics and paying cash, that sets up a different set of red flags and I believe many pharmacies will not fill scripts that insurance won't cover. And I am well aware of the narcotic abuse problem in our country. But some patients are clearly collateral damage in the "war on drugs."
Old 05-03-19, 08:39 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12740 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
They are not terribly expensive. But if a patient goes to the pharmacy asking for narcotics and paying cash, that sets up a different set of red flags and I believe many pharmacies will not fill scripts that insurance won't cover. And I am well aware of the narcotic abuse problem in our country. But some patients are clearly collateral damage in the "war on drugs."
I'd say they're due for a nice vacation in Mexico!
Old 05-03-19, 08:54 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I gave my little girl a piece of chocolate chip banana bread, cut in half. I put the more chocolaty half on the bottom, in the event that she doesn't eat it all and I have to do my fatherly duty and finish her food.

#wily
Old 05-03-19, 09:01 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I think that is a very natural evolution for someone as serious about cycling performance and results as you are.
Well I’m not really sure it’s about results and performance as much as just wanting to enjoy your ride. After you’ve been riding for awhile, I think you just experience so many iterations of the failed group ride that you know you may have a more enjoyable time riding solo. You can just do your own thing and not deal with any “ride sociology”.

Maybe this is more pronounced for me. As a woman, maybes it’s that my physiology is different enough from my mostly male ride companions that group rides just never seem to easily and effortlessly occur at a pace that’s fun for me. It’s mostly too slow or too fast or if the pace is just-so someone’s doing weird stuff like coming around from behind when I’m on the front and then moving in front of me and slowing down when (I guess) he realizes there’s wind up front.

But I think it’s just the nature of most group rides, where no ones really in charge, there’s no agreed-upon pace, and working as a group is not the primary objective.
Old 05-03-19, 09:19 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

I started Puppy Love on Nosework last week. It’s a dogsport based on the training you’d give a drug or bomb sniffing dog but instead you train them to search for and detect one of four standardized essential oils.

So I was reading about sniffer dogs and learned about the different types of professional for-pay sniffer dogs and started wondering if maybe Puppy Love could earn some Benjamins towards her upkeep.

Bomb detection no way. Drug sniffing no way. Search and rescue? Well she could get into small spaces but I don’t want her crushed by rubble. So, no. Truffles? Hmm moving to France might be ok. But probably all the good truffle territory is claimed already.

Then I read about bedbug sniffing dogs. They make $325 per hour. Seems pretty safe, hotels and apartments. I like this idea.

We’re pretty far from doing anything useful, though. All we’re training so far is searching behavior. Looking in boxes to see if there’s something good. Later you pair the searching with scent, which is apparently the easy part. Realistically we’ll probably just do the sport recreationally. But the idea of funding an early retirement with bed bug sniffing is real.
Old 05-03-19, 09:32 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

I started Puppy Love on Nosework last week. It’s a dogsport based on the training you’d give a drug or bomb sniffing dog but instead you train them to search for and detect one of four standardized essential oils.

So I was reading about sniffer dogs and learned about the different types of professional for-pay sniffer dogs and started wondering if maybe Puppy Love could earn some Benjamins towards her upkeep.

Bomb detection no way. Drug sniffing no way. Search and rescue? Well she could get into small spaces but I don’t want her crushed by rubble. So, no. Truffles? Hmm moving to France might be ok. But probably all the good truffle territory is claimed already.

Then I read about bedbug sniffing dogs. They make $325 per hour. Seems pretty safe, hotels and apartments. I like this idea.

We’re pretty far from doing anything useful, though. All we’re training so far is searching behavior. Looking in boxes to see if there’s something good. Later you pair the searching with scent, which is apparently the easy part. Realistically we’ll probably just do the sport recreationally. But the idea of funding an early retirement with bed bug sniffing is real.
So you can buy "Essence of Bedbug" oil to train your dog?
Old 05-03-19, 09:34 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

So you can buy "Essence of Bedbug" oil to train your dog?
You have to buy actual bedbugs as I understand it!
Old 05-03-19, 09:46 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Live?!
Old 05-03-19, 09:56 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11955 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,469 Posts
I have some oxy-c still hanging around from my surgery in August. Should I expect a black van to show up outside?
Old 05-03-19, 09:57 AM
WhyFi

Live?!
Ditto the twitchy.
Old 05-03-19, 09:58 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Well I’m not really sure it’s about results and performance as much as just wanting to enjoy your ride. After you’ve been riding for awhile, I think you just experience so many iterations of the failed group ride that you know you may have a more enjoyable time riding solo. You can just do your own thing and not deal with any “ride sociology”.
Bingo.
Old 05-03-19, 10:01 AM
WhyFi

It's time to un-mix-up the bikes and their parts.
Old 05-03-19, 10:05 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Hmmm, that's not a bad idea.

Did you hear I'm getting a new puppy soon? One of these guys, 4 weeks old today.

Old 05-03-19, 10:07 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts

What ever you do, don't get in the same building with bed bugs. Keep the dog away from them. If you don't you'll be very, very, sorry in the end. Stay away from people and dogs that do bedbug sniffing.
Old 05-03-19, 10:28 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Live?!
Yep
Old 05-03-19, 10:31 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by BillyD
Hmmm, that's not a bad idea.

Did you hear I'm getting a new puppy soon? One of these guys, 4 weeks old today.

Which one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.