Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Holy Moly I am a winner

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-19, 06:05 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Holy Moly I am a winner

Today was Tour De Doughnut MN. I have done this every year from its start and its a great event! Usually I do the 50K route but a storm rolled though and I will be honest I got chicken about the weather so I switched over to the 30K distance.
The weather made a delay in the start and everyone got really antsy so when it did start everybody was all juiced up. I kept my standard power and low and behold the last 4K or so they were just dogging along in the 10mph headwind. I was feeling really good so yeah it ended great for me.

I know I know its not a super competitive race or anything but it was pretty nice to be first across the line and then wait 6 minutes for second place to pull in!

Just had to share, it was pretty fun to not be in the bottom 10% for a change! Now I need a long nap
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 07-13-19, 11:09 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Wait, what? You’re sayin’ you changed your mind midway through the event and instead of doing the 50 you cut it short and only did the 30 and as a result you “won?” I like your style.

Hey, sometimes the planets align and you find yourself the winner. Enjoy your moment of glory. I hope you had an extra donut. With a lead time like that, you coulda had two.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 07-14-19, 06:17 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Clyde dream ride, congrats!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-14-19, 07:54 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Kedosto
Wait, what? You’re sayin’ you changed your mind midway through the event and instead of doing the 50 you cut it short and only did the 30 and as a result you “won?” I like your style.

Hey, sometimes the planets align and you find yourself the winner. Enjoy your moment of glory. I hope you had an extra donut. With a lead time like that, you coulda had two.

-Kedosto
I changed my distance when I signed in for the morning, I don't think midrace change would have been very polite. I overheard another lady said she changed when we were getting our numbers and thought hey I wanna do that. It worked out for a bit of glory.

I had more than a few extra...stomach still a bit sensitive this morning too
Old 07-15-19, 12:33 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I changed my distance when I signed in for the morning, I don't think midrace change would have been very polite. I overheard another lady said she changed when we were getting our numbers and thought hey I wanna do that. It worked out for a bit of glory.

I had more than a few extra...stomach still a bit sensitive this morning too
Do you win doughnuts?
Old 07-15-19, 01:41 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by drewguy
Do you win doughnuts?
how it works is you race against the other racers. Your timed on your distance, during your race route there are stops that have doughnuts to eat. All you can handle. For every one you eat you get a time bonus. So example at stop #1 they are just glazed standard. So every 1 you eat you get 5 minutes off your overall time. As the day goes on the stops have different types of treats and different bonuses. You get the idea. I did the 30K route in 64 minutes and change including the time eating. I actually don't know my adjusted time but the person who got second finished 6 minutes after me and at 5 doughnuts and I still won overall and adjusted times. I rode the hardest I have ever ridden before, it was great fun too! 4 people ate more than a dozen, the record this year was 16! He was looking really bad though...but still 16....
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 07-15-19, 01:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Donuts... Mmmm... I don't know about a dozen donuts, but I'd skip breakfast for sure, just to save some room
Old 07-15-19, 01:54 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
how it works is you race against the other racers. Your timed on your distance, during your race route there are stops that have doughnuts to eat. All you can handle. For every one you eat you get a time bonus. So example at stop #1 they are just glazed standard. So every 1 you eat you get 5 minutes off your overall time. As the day goes on the stops have different types of treats and different bonuses. You get the idea. I did the 30K route in 64 minutes and change including the time eating. I actually don't know my adjusted time but the person who got second finished 6 minutes after me and at 5 doughnuts and I still won overall and adjusted times. I rode the hardest I have ever ridden before, it was great fun too! 4 people ate more than a dozen, the record this year was 16! He was looking really bad though...but still 16....
Sounds like an interesting challenge. Would be tough to finish first on gross time, and then have someone come in 14 minutes later but ate 3 donuts (or whatever the conversion).

Seems like the thing to do would be to go hard early, maybe get a quick sugar boost at one or two stops, and then at the final stop power through as many donuts as possible and hope you make it to the finish line with a negative net time before losing it all.
Old 07-15-19, 01:57 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Oh heck, I could polish off some doughnuts... Has anyone come in with a negative time?
Old 07-15-19, 02:54 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Q

Originally Posted by drewguy
Sounds like an interesting challenge. Would be tough to finish first on gross time, and then have someone come in 14 minutes later but ate 3 donuts (or whatever the conversion).

Seems like the thing to do would be to go hard early, maybe get a quick sugar boost at one or two stops, and then at the final stop power through as many donuts as possible and hope you make it to the finish line with a negative net time before losing it all.
I do this method. I start steady and consistent. Hit stop and pound down a light load....then go at it all out. The rest of the ride is just keeping your stomach from killing you! But by this time your so close it doesn't matter. Whats funny is there is a BBQ at the finish.....a beer and a bb1 is tough after this ride but still good fun. Some people take is super serious and a small number ride for the eats.
Old 07-15-19, 02:59 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by jadocs
Oh heck, I could polish off some doughnuts... Has anyone come in with a negative time?
Last year a guy did the 50K race and almost had negative time. He was a super good rider and rode like a machine. Ate 2 at the first 2 stops but the third stop he was doing the math at like 6 or something and rode the last 10 miles just hurting. He almost got a negative time...I think he had a time of just over 10 minutes or something. It was crazy! He was sick as a dog too!

I won because I got lucky on strategy...I didn't mess around at the stops. I ate as fast as I could and booked on. It worked out but if I wouldn't have ridden the highest power I have ever ridden I wouldn't have one. My FTP went up almost 20 points after the race according to my Garmin. I was trashed! A good hurt but won't attempt to do it again. I won and was super excited but I think next year I will just enjoy the race and be what it is in the end.
Old 07-15-19, 03:32 PM
CliffordK

I assume the donut eating has to be monitored.

I'd like to have a donut stick attached to the handlebars. Load up with say 10 donuts at the first stop, then slowly pull them off of the stick and chow down as one is riding.

Of course, one would end up with a sticky, gooey bicycle.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-15-19, 04:13 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I assume the donut eating has to be monitored.

I'd like to have a donut stick attached to the handlebars. Load up with say 10 donuts at the first stop, then slowly pull them off of the stick and chow down as one is riding.

course, one would end up with a sticky, gooey bicycle.

Yeah, at the stops they have workers hand out the treats. They then make sure your eating too. they hand out 1 at a time and then using your race number keep track. This is where your time is make/broken. If you are eating a lot and do it slowly your not gaining anything. Trick is to eat FAST and get out.
Old 07-15-19, 05:01 PM
CliffordK

I think this is the Tour de Donut rules page:

https://www.allsportcentral.com/Even...?EventID=69360

So, 6 minutes per donut, stops 1 & 3.
"Sarah Special" for 6 or 15 minutes at the second stop.
Old 07-15-19, 05:16 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
Dang I live on donuts and might have to take out the TT bike and go on a road trip to Minnesota next year.
Old 07-15-19, 08:03 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I think this is the Tour de Donut rules page:

https://www.allsportcentral.com/Even...?EventID=69360

So, 6 minutes per donut, stops 1 & 3.
"Sarah Special" for 6 or 15 minutes at the second stop.
that is the event.....I think Dave the race runner did some time adjusting this year but yep. Here is the website of his. He has some other eating type events. The guy is a riot!

Home

If any of you are in the Southern MN area in mid July let me know....I would take you on this great adventeure!
Old 07-15-19, 08:04 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
Dang I live on donuts and might have to take out the TT bike and go on a road trip to Minnesota next year.
Love that!!
Old 07-17-19, 03:52 PM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I'm both glad and mad that I missed this ride. I just recently told my wife that I should have been a competitive eater. The keto diet restricts that now though. I haven't had a donut in about a year, maybe more. I may have to try it next year just to say I did it. Spike my blood sugar a bit and pedal on.
Old 07-17-19, 09:58 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Yendor72
I'm both glad and mad that I missed this ride. I just recently told my wife that I should have been a competitive eater. The keto diet restricts that now though. I haven't had a donut in about a year, maybe more. I may have to try it next year just to say I did it. Spike my blood sugar a bit and pedal on.

About 20% of the riders never eat one during the race. They use it as a tune up race or a practice triathlon.

What a shame lol